“Will go back, but not for the ribs”
Review of Z's Smokin' Bonez

Z's Smokin' Bonez
Ranked #52 of 119 Restaurants in Maple Grove
Cuisines: Barbecue
Plymouth, Minnesota
“Will go back, but not for the ribs”
Reviewed 30 August 2013

I'm a big BBQ junky so I'm always on the lookout for good BBQ. The place reminds me of going to Subway as you can see everything as they prepare your meal, but you pay by the pound for the ribs. My wife & I decided to split a rack of ribs which was a mistake. First off, the ribs are huge as we were only able to finish half of them. As noted by other visitors, there really isn't a lot of favor and very fatty & greasy. However, the sides were awesome! Try the bake beans as they are loaded with favor! The house cole slaw tasted extremely as well. There were a few others we wished we could tried. Place was very clean and liked the descriptions of the various types of BBQ found in the US was on the north wall of the facility. We decided we would come back again and try the pulled pork and another order of baked beans.

• Visited August 2013

Inverness, Illinois
“Excellent BBQ pork and brisket”
Reviewed 19 July 2013

We just discovered this BBQ joint earlier this year. We've eaten BBQ all over the U.S. and feel Z's Smokin' Bonez has probably the best pulled pork of them all and their brisket is the second best we've ever tasted. Please note they offer two versions of pulled pork; with and without BBQ sauce. Order it without the sauce because they offer seven or eight sauces that you can add yourself.

As some others have pointed out, the BBQ ribs can be somewhat greasy, which isn't for everyone. However, the meat literally falls off the bones and the surface of the meat is almost crispy, which is the way we prefer it.

They also offer excellent side dishes like two types of mac & cheese, two types of potato salad, and many more. These are the only ones we tasted so far and loved them.

Best of all, they offer multiple microbrew beers. Good BBQ and microbrew beer - what more can you ask for?

• Visited July 2013
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Surprised That They are in Business”
Reviewed 26 May 2013 via mobile

I really like to support the local business owners whenever I can, so we decided to give Z's a try. I ordered a full rack of ribs for my wife and I to split. They had no flavor and they were mushy, mucky, and extremely greasy. They had the consistency of jello or lutefisk. The take-out service was horrible as well. The menu at the cash register (which was just something produced on a home computer) stated that a full rack of ribs was $16, but they rang up at $26. When I questioned the owner about this, he pointed out the print on the menu, that prices are subject to change. A 60% increase in prices in a year.....that is insane. He then said that he can't afford to produce a new menu. I can go to Rudolphs, Market BBQ, or Ted Cook's and get real a full rack of real ribs with sides and real service for the same price. My wife and I ended up eating the leftovers of our kids $5 Little Caesars Pizza instead of the ribs from Z's.

Visited May 2013
1 Thank RxTraveler55
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Good, affordable food in a non-chain restaurant”
Reviewed 24 March 2013

There don't seem to be many affordable eateries in Maple Grove that aren't part of a restaurant chain so Z's Smokin' Bonez is a good find with delicious food and decent prices. The meat options are offered with or without BBQ sauce (I recommend without so you can sample the various sauces available in the condiment area). The pulled pork and chicken were very good, as were the house potato salad and beans. I prefer a sweet cornbread (with honey), but the jalapeno cornbread is good as a savory option. The restaurant is clean and very laid back. No tipping is required as there's counter service only.

• Visited March 2013
“Ok for cheap q.”
Reviewed 5 February 2013 via mobile

So we did not want to cook. Q sounded good so off we went. Zs has been open here for a few months so we thought that they should have the starting bugs worked out. Well not so much. I had the bbq pork and pulled pork. The BF had the brisket. We would had had the ribs but we were told that they did not do ribs on tuesday...ummm....ok. So the pulled pork was ok. The bbq pork was ok. The brisket was ok. The sides...beans were awsome, the,mac and cheese..mah. The jalapeno corn bread was horrific! Not spicy in the least with the consistency of carrot cake. Finally I come to their ”award winning chilli” It would be very non pc and jerkish of me to say that the only place that this chilli would win an award is at the special olympics of chilli...so I won`t...just saying.