“Nice place for a family get away” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Maple Grove - Arbor Lakes

Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Maple Grove - Arbor Lakes
Ranked #6 of 8 Hotels in Maple Grove
Ankeny, Iowa
“Nice place for a family get away”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 April 2013

The area where it is located is somewhat difficult to get back out on to a main road.
The hotel has plenty of parking and the lot is reasonably well lit.
The grounds were well kept and the interior common area were clean.

At check-in: Both front desk people were on the phone so I waited a good 5 minutes
while they finished up. Someone came out from the back while I was waiting and asked
to help, but said they were unable to check me in as both computers were being used
by the people on the phone.

I had joined the loyalty program when I made the reservation, and was told because I
was a member I got two beverage tickets for use at the waterpark concession stand.
One ticket was for a free beverage, the second was for $1 off a beverage. I appreciated
this since a single beer was $4.

The room was clean. We got a kid suite room, so there is sort of a walled off area
with bunk beds and a TV in it. The kids area is small, but that didn't bother my kids.
(Note: The wall does not extend to the ceiling, so the child on the top bunk can stick their
head through the opening.)
Our bed was fine, but I didn't care for the odd shaped pillows. I never used the TV.
There is a vanity area near the bed and has a couple of electrical outlets there good
for charging multiple devices. There was an outlet near the bed for a cpap, no extension cord necessary.

Our room was on the first floor and very close to the waterpark, but it was never loud.

I give credit to life guards, they are definitely on top of things. My son hit his
head on the side of the slide at the bottom. The guard watching that area immediately
came to check and ask if he was okay. At closing time I saw a kid crossing the lily
pads and he fell into the water. He was a little guy and couldn't get back up out of the
water and a life guard jumped into the water very quickly.

The one bad thing I have to say about the waterpark is they closed the concession stand
at least 10 minutes before the stated closing time. I tried to go buy something and
the girl running it was already counting out her register and told me they were closed.

We got two free breakfast buffets with our room and kids eat free. Note that the kids
don't get the buffet free, but only charged us the difference with was a couple bucks
per child. The 'buffet' is pretty standard hotel breakfast except that they did have
bacon, sausage, and some cut up cantelope. (oatmeal, toast, bagels, scrambled eggs,
yogurt, watered down OJ) You are seated by someone and a server will bring you
soda/coffee so keep in mind that someone is expecting a tip. I just mention it since
you'll need cash unless you buy something else and can add it to the bill.

It's stated on the hotel website, but the waterpark is only open on weekends. I like
that the waterpark is only for hotel guests, so while finding a chair can be difficult
it's still not as crowded as other places where groups of people are buying a day pass.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
HolidayInnMG, Manager at Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Maple Grove - Arbor Lakes, responded to this review, 29 April 2013
Thank you for sharing in such detail the experiences you had while staying with us here at the Holiday Inn & Suites of Maple Grove, MN. It is a pleasure reading about the enjoyable time you and your family had here with us and we are happy you found y our guest room to be quiet for you to relax in, even though it was on the first floor and in close proximity to the water park. We appreciate your comments regarding our lifeguard in the water park. The safety of our valued guests is our number one priority which is why we ensure we have certified and attentive pool staff on duty at all hours of operation. We will share your comments with our management team and will follow up with the issue you mentioned about the concession stand. Without feedback from guests like you, we cannot improve our operations, so thank you! We appreciate you choosing to stay with us and hope to host you and your family again!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
Detroit, Michigan
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 April 2013

I am sure this is a fine hotel and I have heard good stuff from my associates who have stayed here. I had a reservation here and my business trip was cancelled. I forgot to call the Hotel and cancel the reservation so I was charged for one night. I accepted that responsibility and paid the charge. When I called priority club to collect my points for the one night, I was told I could not get points because I was being penalized for the no show. I still payed for the room, I should have received the points. Apparently priority club rewards and their hotels do not work together as they should and he would not give me the points because he said the hotel got the money. I am not even sure what that means but I will say that I can find other Hotels with a more user friendly rewards program.

Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Steven P
We appreciate your concern with this matter. Please know that these are not our policies here at the Holiday Inn, but are the policies created by the InterContinental Hotels Group whom manage the Priority Club Rewards loyalty program. Please contact us at 763-425-3800 and ask for management as we would like to discuss this with you.
Minneapolis, Minnesota
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 April 2013 via mobile

This is not your typical run-down, out-dated Holiday Inn. This hotel is somehwat new and clean. The kids love the pool area, although the hotel is a little overpriced for the area. It is conveniently located near many restaurants and plenty of shopping.

• Stayed June 2012
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
HolidayInnMG, Manager at Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Maple Grove - Arbor Lakes, responded to this review, 12 April 2013
Thank you for your comments! We are pleased that you found our property to be up to date and convenient for you. It is great that your kids enjoyed our indoor water park! We appreciate the 5 star review!
Plantation, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 April 2013

I had business in Edina and other parts of Minneapolis and this hotel is close to the places I had to visit. This is one of the nicer Holiday Inns at which I have stayed. It is large, the rooms are spacious and the staff is very friendly. The property has an Italian motif and has its own water park including pool, spa, water slide, etc. As I Platinum Priority Club member I was immediately acknowledged on check-in and upgraded to a suite. Additional perks were afforded me as well. This property is adjacent to several new shopping and dining areas and the choices of restaurants is wide. I will be returning to this area on a regular basis and plan to stay at this hotel on my subsequent trips.

Room Tip: I had a very quiet room on the front side of the hotel.
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
What a great review! Thank you! We are so happy that you found our guest suites to be spacious and comfortable for you to enjoy while staying with us and that you like our “Italian” themed water park. It is great that you were upgraded to a suite for your membership in our Priority Club as this is one small way for us to say Thank You. We appreciate your feedback and truly hope you do decide to stay with us again when in the area. We look forward to it!
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2013

The package deal was just what I needed, for a fun stay with three children (wristbands for pool/slide,pizza,pitcher of soda/pop,arcade tokens, and most importantly kids under 12 eat free with paid adult). It was Easter weekend and we had a great time. The staff and service was on point always available whenever needed day or night. The night scene for adults was relaxing with their inside bar and good specials on cocktails.
I will return again soon.

• Stayed March 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
It was a pleasure reading your comments regarding your recent stay with us at the Holiday Inn & Suites of Maple Grove, MN. It sounds like you had a great Easter weekend with your family and we are delighted that both you and your kids enjoyed our indoor water park! We are a very family friendly hotel which is why we allow children under the age of 12 to eat for free with the purchase of an adult entrée. We are happy you appreciate this! Thank you so much for the 5 star review!
Crookston, Minnesota
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2013

We had two families with 6 kids total. Everything was great. We were able to get adjoining rooms. Food in the restaurant was excellent (kids under 12 eat free). Waterpark was great for the ages of our kids (18mo-7yr). My only complaint was that the park was fairly busy......

Clean rooms and great customer service!

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank angie S
Thank you! We are pleased both of the families in your party had an enjoyable experience staying with us and your kids had a good time in the water park! We appreciate you sharing your feedback.
Winnipeg, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 March 2013

Just stayed for 2 nights over Canadian Spring Break - overall very happy. The waterpark is normally "closed" during the week (slides and kids play structure area) but due to Spring Break they were open extra so that worked out great. But there's still a great activity pool and hot tub open for guests even when the waterpark is "closed". We had a Family suite with separate area with bunk beds, tv, and playstation console which the kids really liked. For a one-time $5 fee you could rent Playstation games/movies and keep returning them for another.

The decor in the hotel is very modern and appears to be pretty much brand new - doesn't even really feel like a Holiday Inn with the funky purples. Our King Bed was awesome - very comfortable. Kids under 12 eat free and we expected the food to be gross but it was actually pretty good for hotel food. Try the wings - really meaty and even nice "presentation". Hotel seemed to be well insulated/soundproofed as we weren't bothered much. Very conveniently located close to all the shops of Maple Grove.

Rooms were well appointed with flat panel tvs, fridge, microwave, granite computer desk, etc. If we had one complaint, it would be that the room size was a little too cozy - pretty small for the 4 of us. The Holiday Inn Elk River has much more spacious rooms, although we prefer the location of HI Maple Grove. Just checked with the kids and they said to say they thought the bunk beds weren't great - especially the top. It's a metal frame structure with thin bars on the ladders that hurt their feet. We also had some minor issues with shower water temp. We pretty much had to crank it to the max to have a "warm" shower - it happened a couple times at different times of the day so probably not a fluke.

Overall though, we were pretty happy. We'll be back!

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Thundercat1234
HolidayInnMG, Manager at Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Maple Grove - Arbor Lakes, responded to this review, 29 March 2013
Thank you for the feedback! We are so happy to hear that you and your family had such a fun time staying here with us over your Spring Break! You mentioned many important factors to consider when choosing a place to stay. Please accept our apologies for any inconvenience you had with the water temperatures. We appreciate you choosing to stay with us and hope you will visit again if ever in the area!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Maple Grove
Downtown
Renaissance Minneapolis Hotel, The Depot
Downtown
Residence Inn Minneapolis Downtown at The Depot

Been to Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Maple Grove - Arbor Lakes? Share your experiences!