“Nothing fancy but location, location, location”

Extended Stay America - Minneapolis - Maple Grove
Ranked #8 of 8 Hotels in Maple Grove
“Nothing fancy but location, location, location”
Reviewed 26 June 2012

I was in the area for work for three months in 2011( February- May) in which the entire time I stayed here. It's an average room with the comforts of home, i.e. full fridge, stove top, microwave and a laundry room on the first floor. Everything in the room was good and the room was clean. Bed was fine and they were in the process of replacing all the beds as well at the time that I left. My only issue was trying to work out a schedule to have my room cleaned every week because I was working nights so I slept during the day but that's not a typical problem for everyone.
With that said, this is not a practical place for someone looking to stay for a long weekend or a few days. This is for a full week plus for sure. That's gonna be the best bang for your buck. The longer you plan to stay, the lower the rate per night. This hotel is right off the highway in a good neighborhood and is only 12 miles out of Minneapolis. Easy to get to all the attractions that Minneapolis has to offer from pro sports, concerts, museums, night life and the Mall of America.

• Stayed July 2011
, Manager at Extended Stay America - Minneapolis - Maple Grove, responded to this review, 12 July 2012
Thank you for taking the time to make us aware of your experience at Extended Stay America Minneapolis - Maple Grove. It is with great pride that we provide clean, comfortable rooms at affordable rates, which is why it was great to read your kind words about the room. However, given the issue with the service you had during your stay, it was with equally great concern that I read the rest of your account. You have the apologies of my entire staff that we were not able to totally satisfy you.

We know that our guests have many lodging options, which is why we work hard to provide them with the exact service they expect. As is true of most extended stay hotels, we offer scaled back housekeeping service which is on a timed schedule yet we were not able to meet your needs based on your schedule and for that I am truly sorry.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Cold Spring, Minnesota
Reviewed 25 June 2012

We stayed on a Saturday night and they overbooked the double bed rooms. They gave us two single rooms that worked out so they were accommodating. The elevator stunk like smoke and the room needed maintenance. No shampoo for the shower. No breakfast but the room had a stove, microwave, sink and dishes. McDonald's next door was our option.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at Extended Stay America Minneapolis - Maple Grove. We are committed to providing every guest with outstanding accommodations, so I was pleased to read your remarks about your room. Of course, I was disheartened to read that your stay wasn't 100% satisfactory. For that I am truly sorry.

As an extended stay lodging company, we have many guests who need to leave their departure date open or extend their stay at the last minute. We work hard to prevent these changes from affecting other guests. However, in extremely rare cases like yours, a sudden increase in guests extending their stays without notice causes a shortage of rooms types available for our arriving guests thus why they placed you in separate rooms. I understand how this may have inconvenienced the situation for you.

Also, we specialize in providing clean, comfortable rooms at an affordable price. That means we don't set out extra amenities like shampoo, lotions, shower caps, etc, in our rooms. However, our hotel does have a limited supply of sundries at the front desk, and we happily dispense them free of charge upon request. Operating in this way allows us to continue to provide you our great rooms at exceptional rates. I take seriously your concern, however, and assure you that we work very hard to explain exactly what we offer to our guests before they arrive. I am, of course, very sorry that we were unable to make our offerings more clear to you before you checked in, and hope that you will keep our hotel in mind when your future needs are for an accommodation like ours.

Feedback received as yours will help us make our hotel even better in the future. Let me apologize again that your stay was not completely satisfying, and assure you that we will continue to listen to our guests in forums like this one or directly (please visit our website and click the Contact Us link at the bottom of the page). I hope we have addressed your concern satisfactorily, and that you would give us the pleasure of having you as a guest again at this hotel or any other Extended Stay Hotels(sm) brand location in the future.
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 22 May 2012

When I checked into this hotel I dropped my business card into the fishbowl to win a free night on a future date. After a couple of days I went back downstairs and fished my card out of the bowl....

1) With a 4 person troop (2 adults and 2 kids under 3) we were assigned to a room on the 2nd floor. This non-smoking room happened to be below the wing of the 3rd floor which is still smoking. The ventilation system was working so well that the smoke from the 3rd floor was being reidrected into our room on the second floor. The kids were having very difficult times sleeping so we requested a new room. We also were missing a pan in this room... Ever cooked bacon with a pot?

2) We were moved to a new room. While this had a much better smell and no incoming smoke, there were a couple of new problems. First, there aparrently wasn't enough color in the room so somewhere along the line someone decided to spruce up the place with red dye (possibly hair dye) on the rug at random intervals in the room and bathroom. Second, the refridgerator was never working. With the dial turned up to five, my cheese ended up disgusting.

With all of the awesomeness of this experience, I decided to leave after my pre-paid week was up and go to a different hotel for the rest of my time here in Minnesota.... Along with my business card which will hopefully win me a free lunch at some restaurant instead.

Room Tip: 1) Rooms numbered greater than x25 are going to have smoke infiltration from the 3rd floor wing that...
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
I recently received a copy of your review of the Extended Stay America Minneapolis - Maple Grove. Our company prides itself on providing great service and great rooms at great rates, which is why I was so disappointed to read your post. Please accept my most sincere apologies.

I do appreciate the opportunity to address your concerns about the condition of your room. Please know that we have strict quality control standards that are meant to prevent a situation like yours from occurring. Only certain rooms are designated as smoking rooms, the rest as non-smoking. Yet as stated the ventilation of your room seemed to be poor. For this I offer your my apologies and asure you we will be looking into this to emsure situations as such do not occur again in the future.

In regards to your comments about the issues with the Refrigerator, we have inspected all in-room refrigerators and made any necessary repairs to ensure that we don't have a repeat of your particular incident in the future. I can assure you that we will continue to maintain strict quality control measures, and would like to thank you for bringing this issue to our attention.

Ewing, New Jersey
Reviewed 12 May 2012

A little drab, definitely in need of improvement in the way of decor. Upon checking in, I found a few problems with my room, there were pillows missing and the tv remote was dead. I went back down to the front desk, and my check in girl (maryanne) promptly fixed everything for me. She was very sweet, which is nice in this day and age. She even recommend a few great places to eat. Service really was the important part with such a drab decor so I was excited that she was my check out girl as well. No problems with either check in or check out, which is not always the case. Probably would stay again, for the price.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled solo
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at Extended Stay America Minneapolis - Maple Grove. Given our company's commitment to superior guest service, it was great to read about your positive experience with our staff. Of course, I was disheartened to read that your stay wasn't 100% satisfactory. You certainly have my sincerest apologies

Please know that we have strict quality control standards that are meant to prevent an unacceptable situation like yours from occurring. All rooms are regularly cleaned and inspected upon a guest's checkout as well as during applicable periods of the stay to ensure items are never missing from the room, then re-inspected by a manager who determines if it meets our quality standards. Obviously, your experience indicates that our system broke down as items were missing as well as not functioning properly. In response, I have met with hotel management and staff to find out why and to determine a system for preventing a repeat occurrence.

Sauk Centre, Minnesota
Reviewed 28 April 2012

I knew when they accepted my lowball bid on Priceline, I was in trouble. Bed like steel, pillows little more than a pillow case. A 19" TV with 10 channels. I will say the refrigerator and microwave were nice, though they only gave me spoons... no forks--I suppose to reduce the suicide risk of anyone who has to stay here a week or more. Just a sad, sad place and I can't imagine anyone wanting to eat their meals in those depressing rooms -- food I had bought for the fridge went unconsumed. I just had to get out. Not filthy, not really unsanitary -- just shabby and sad. Oh, and did I say just about as remote from anything as you can get. Even, if you want to go out, there's no place to go.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank crisro

We continually poll our guests on their preferences for television channels, and use this feedback to choose programming that is most likely to satisfy. Although we strive to provide our guests with a great selection of viewing opportunities, we understand that you were looking for more. Rest assured that your feedback is very valuable to us and will be used in making future decisions. Also, please note we have since upgraded ALL TV’S in the room to 32 inch Flat Screens as part of our improvements.

In regards to the items missing from your room, I sincerely apologize as this should not have been the case. All of our rooms are regularly cleaned and inspected upon a guest's checkout as well as during applicable periods of the stay to ensure items are never missing from the room, then re-inspected by a manager who determines if it meets our quality standards. Obviously, your experience indicates that our system broke down as items were missing as well as not functioning properly. In response, I have met with hotel management and staff to find out why and to determine a system for preventing a repeat occurrence.

Lafayette, Indiana, United States
Reviewed 26 March 2012

no carts available when i arrived, had to make 3 trips to unpack. the mattress is hard as a rock... the bathroom sink as no room to store stuff... the TV is a box style, 19"... it seems like a hotel from the 80s. Only thing missing is the shag carpeting. Not impressed, will never stay here again. Big Regret right now.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 31 December 2011

This was the worst hotel I have ever stayed at. My first room had hair all over the tub (not from someone's head), my second room had stains all over the sheets, and then after they moved me to their sister property it had bars on the lobby window. I had to slide my ID under the glass like I was in a liquor store in a bad part of town. The woman working told me she wouldn't even stay at this hotel. The mattress was identical to a crib mattress. WORST experience ever!!!!! GM never returned my phone calls also.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled on business
Asteria Inn & Suites
#7 of 8 in Maple Grove
Staybridge Suites Minneapolis Maple Grove
La Quinta Inn & Suites Minneapolis Northwest

Been to Extended Stay America - Minneapolis - Maple Grove? Share your experiences!