“Great wings for those who might not want the heat!”
Review of D-Spot

D-Spot
Ranked #2 of 57 Restaurants in Maplewood
Cuisines: American, Bar, Pub
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Seating, Takeout, Television
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Great wings for those who might not want the heat!”
Reviewed 28 July 2014

While my mouth still loves spicy food, the older I get, the more my stomach doesn't. But so many places with good wings are all about how spicy they are. Not at D-Spot, which is wonderful!

They do make spicy wings - I was there one day ordering and a cloud of spices came out of the kitchen that made me cough. You want incendiary wings? They appear to have them. But my husband is from Central NY, and he is more than happy with an order of the savory Iberian wings (seasoned with smoked paprika and studded with chunks of chorizo sausage). I love either the Ochre (honey and spicy mustard) or Vaporizer (honey, spicy mustard and horseradish). We both could live on their signature Black Widow wings (soy, fennel, and other spices).

We prefer to do takeout if it's just us, since they can get really busy. (And it's kind of fun to get your chicken wings in Chinese takeout boxes. ;) ) But it's also fun to go and sit with friends, and to order a table full of different wings. They recently put some fun murals on the walls, but it's not an otherwise prettied-up place - they make wings, they do them well, the tables are clean. Don't expect a fine-dining atmosphere (but you absolutely don't need it here). They also have affordable water and sodas in cans and bottles.

Just a note - if you want to get these wings on Sundays, that's only during football season. And if you want them for the Super Bowl, you need to place orders well ahead of time. And possibly for an hour or so before you need them, because they get swamped. But rightfully so. :)

D-Spot - we love you!

• Visited July 2014

Woodbury, Minnesota
“holy cats those wings are amazing!”
Reviewed 23 July 2014

I went to D-Spot recently for take out and LOVED it! It's in a tiny strip mall and it was hot in there (I felt sorry for the cooks I tell you what). Since they have 80+ flavors of wings, I asked the guy behind the counter what he recommended. I went with three kinds because so many sounded good: Iron Man, Buffalo Bill and Tarantula. Iron Man were a great combo of sweet and spicy, Buffalo Bill had buffalo sauce and were rolled in bleu cheese crumbles, Tarantula had a great rub with a subtle and sophisitcated flavor that I really enjoyed. I basically made love to these wings they were sooooo good!

• Visited July 2014
Saint Paul, Minnesota
“One of the top two burgers I've ever had”
Reviewed 31 May 2014

A small group of us were looking for something different for lunch and a burger sounded great. This petite restaurant located between two other restaurants in a tiny little strip mall delivered a giant-sized-tasting burger. The Italian Stallion made with ½ ground chuck and ½ ground capicola. This was a stand-out burger like no other. I was surprised we didn’t have more competition, but being a super nice day after our long difficult winter it’s understandable. The D-Spot had a very impressive menu of wings, but only the burgers were sampled and 100% of the group was WOWWED. Keep up the great work.

Saint Paul, Minnesota
“Unique and unexpected, these wings blow your mind!”
Reviewed 29 May 2014

Whether you're looking for something spicy and Cajun or totally off the wall like Caramel covered wings you'll find it here at D-Spot! My first time here the maybe 90 types of wings had my mind spinning! Tough to be disappointed if you try this spot!

Maplewood, Minnesota
“Smokin'”
Reviewed 16 May 2014

Smoke burning your eyes and smokin' wings too. Little hole-in-d-wall place in a string of shops tucked behind McD's. Wing choices were amazing, we loved the ones we tried and took a take out menu to track what we've ordered for future visits. We were the only people there over 30 and loved watching an artist creating surreal paintings on the walls. Warning: smoke gets in your eyes.