North Star Lake Resort
Forest Lake Motel(Grand Rapids)
US$77
Hotels.com
  • Restaurant
Hotel Rapids(Grand Rapids)
US$76
US$69
The Itascan Motel(Grand Rapids)
US$76
US$63
Super 8 Grand Rapids(Grand Rapids)(Great Value!)
US$82
AmericInn Grand Rapids(Grand Rapids)(Great Value!)
US$115
US$126
US$123
Country Inn
No availability for your dates from our partners
No availability for your dates from our partners
See what travellers are saying:
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 5 September 2012

A couple of things to note...we booked this resort based on a couple of reasons. #1 it was a family resort with things for our 2 year old to do. We were the only cabin rented 4 out of 7 days that we were there. It was a ghost town. #2 they had posted a "fall weekly rate" that was lower than their high season rate. They had also put a promotion for first time travelers to receive a discount of $250 off their stay for the time that we were there.
Upon checking out the day before we left, we didn't get the fall rate nor the $250 discount and our bill was $500 more than what was expected. Talk about disappointed. They ended up changing our rate to the fall weekly rate but wouldn't give us the discount because it can't be combined with any other offers. I'm sorry, if your fall rate is stated for everyone "as a discount" then don't offer a first time discount if it can't be used.
Although the cabin was clean, I do not recommend the resort due to them not working with us and trying to make us happy before we departed. Next time we will chose a different resort or pay the extra $500 and stay in a hotel!

Room Tip: The pool could have been cleaner too!
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank Abbigail D
Reviewed 1 February 2012

We have been going to this resort since I was 3 years old....now 32 and taking my own family! The owners are fantastic and the hospitality is great. The fishing is wonderful for walleyes! I read the other review about the horse flies....yes, some years there have been many, but you can't control it and it doesn't happen often. There is not a big city with 40 miles, but that is what we love. We are vacation to get away from it all! The pool and beach are great. They have wonderful bonfires at night and TONS of activities for kids. The cabins have all been remodeled and are nice knotty pine.

I can't remember a summer without North Star and just love all the memories I made here!

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank AngieA99
Reviewed 29 December 2011

We spent a terrific week at North Star Lake Resort! Our sons (ages 5 & 6 at the time) absolutely loved the kindernook program - Nancy is just fantastic with the kids. We loved that there were 3-4 fun things planned throughout the day that either the kids could do on their own with the other kids at the resort or that we could do as a family with the other families (like the nightly kickball/kick the can/capture the flag events). It was a great combination of fun activities and relaxation. The cabin we stayed in had been recently remodeled and was very comfortable for our week-long stay. We would definitely go back to create more fun memories!

Room Tip: The cabins near the beach are the most 'social' - the ones on the lodge side are more secluded/private.
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 9 July 2011

Booked this about a week before the busy 4th of July week. Upon arrival we were greeted by Carol, who gave us some instructions and pointers, then took our 3 year old for a walk while we unpacked for our 4 day stay. Eric is the fishing guide and activities director it seems. I hear he is a good guide. I just fished with my 3 YO and a kiddie rod for panfish...and they were biting like mad! A fish about every 10 seconds the line was in the water. Perfect for a little one with very little patience. Nancy hosted kindernook, a play/activity area for 3 to 10 year olds so mom and dad can get about 90 mins of rest on their own. Our kid loved it! Art projects and book reading. This is a Minnesota lake, and it was warm enough to swim in at this time of year with no issue. The cabins were very clean. The beach was nice. The sunsets were excellent (good view). We did not eat at the lodge...they had burgers and ice cream treats and such. The place is for families and not drunken parites...so quite nice for families especially with tweens. Good boats for rental, and canoes and kayaks were OK. Nice pool. There were a few issues...like a squirrel greeted us from our pantry 3 of the 4 mornings. There were rather large black ants patroling the kitchen area. The deer flies, horse flies, black flies and mosquitoes were voracious! Bring your industrial size/strength repellent. The restaurants in the area were poor compared to big city food, but if you like burgers, simple sandwiches and fried fare you are in luck. Things to improve on...laundry facilities on site. The nearest one is 14 miles away and it's BUSY! Be a little more responsive to squirrel issues (but I could have pressed this a bit more myself, it just didn't bother me much). Offer grocery delivery...because the nearest full size grocery is about 25 miles away making for a 50+ mile round trip for food. There are a few convenience stores around...an OK one about 14 miles away, but don't expect a large fresh food section there...and forget about organic. Overall, we all enjoyed the trip. 4 days was plenty to enjoy the stay, but not get bored. Fishing in the area was slow for walleye, northern and bass...as is the case in mid summer. Would have been better if there were other kids my child's age...but that is the luck of the draw. I would return.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family