“Disheartening”
Review of Spirit Lake Motel

Spirit Lake Motel
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Menahga
Spirit Lake Motel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Menahga
Tower, Minnesota
“Disheartening”
Reviewed 5 November 2011

Menahga is a small quaint little town worth visiting with only this motel, it would be best to go 20 minutes further to Park Rapids. We were just finishing up a month long vacation from MN to ND, MT, SD back to ND and thought a stop to visit some long lost family in Menahga would complete the trip for 1 night on our way home. We slept in the room and that is about all I felt safe doing...I was thankful we had our camping gear so we could use our sleeping bags on the unmade beds with camo sheets? We didn't even bother showering before we left the next morning, there are no ammenities. Such as TP, soap, shampoo, towels.. just a cold dirty room and freaky owners. The town is nice tho!

Room Tip: DO NOT Stay! $60 a night for a total dive, seriously.
Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
12 Thank Shelgo

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Boulder, Colorado
Reviewed 7 September 2011

It pains me to write a negative review and with keeping in mind that the owners, Julie and Michael are great people. However, their motel is NOT so much a great place. Booking a reservation was...odd, to say the least. I called from out of state and spoke with Julie who confirmed a room with a queen size bed at $49 a night. Sounded reasonable enough. She doesn't accept credit cards only cash or checks and the deposit for reserving a room was $20. I booked for 5 nights and 6 days stay. Menagha is a small country town and although the reservation process sounds a bit odd, it isn't, for small country town folk. Upon arrival, my room was not available. Julie didn't have my reservation on the books. Instead, she set me up with a double bed room for a $45 a night price. Also, payment upon arrival is expected. I found this to be odd as well. I didn't have my payment on hand but, she graciously allowed me to pay the next day when banks were open. I guess I was expecting to pay my bill on the way out rather than upon arrival. She did emphasize that they would have my room with queen size bed ready for the next evening. I felt compensated. The double bedroom was clean and comfy. I had a great evenings sleep. The next morning I awoke early and enjoyed some quiet time by the lake front. It really is a quiet and relaxing moment to have. Michael informed me that my new room would be ready around 9:30-10am and Julie kindly brought me a cup of fresh coffee. She and I hit it off and well. We both wandered down to the lake front and started chatting like old girlfriends. We spent at least an hour sharing childhood stories and intimate things about ourselves. She truly has this ability to relate, on site. I appreciated that time. When I returned to my room to get ready, packed and then off to the new room, none of this was ready. My new room was not ready at the time I was quoted. My ride was there to pick me up so I left my things in the new room and headed out while Julie and Michael were still cleaning. When I returned to my new room later that night I noticed several disappointing differences from my experience the evening before. My new room was not a "queen" bed but rather a "double" size bed and most everything in my room was dirty if not, filthy. Cobwebs in the corner of the walls, filth on the shower curtain both the front and back, dirt on the walls, dust and a fly that simply could not be caught in time. I never took my shoes off and managed to kill 3 spiders my first night in new room. Air conditioner was placed in an odd spot that was NOT directly faced to the bed and if I opened the bathroom door, I blocked all air from the air conditioner, this was how small the "queen" size bedroom was. I was miserable. In the end, my girlfriend wiped down the cobwebs and the light fixture and I ended up switching out motel sheets for new clean sheets. I also borrowed pillows from my girlfriend and used store bought pillow cases. I'm pretty sure I was bitten at least once by a spider as cobwebs hung above the bed from the ceiling. I skipped a shower two of the days I was there because I simply could not stand to be in the bathroom and I bought a new towe to use for the occasion I did shower. I should of known I wasn't entering a clean room when the cobwebs indoors matched the cobwebs outside the motel door to my room. Spirit Lake Motel would be a great spot to stay if only the owners took time to deep clean each room and then maintenance it once in awhile. I feel that this does not happen based on my experience. Julie's hospitality is great, she did leave a coffee maker in my room free of charge. She even left me one of her personal coffee mugs for use. I never used it as I couldn't bring myself to make fresh coffee in a filthy room. No internet service, no telephone in rooms and rooms are not equipped with three pong outlets. All in all, not a good visit at all. I only returned to the motel to sleep and that was pretty much it. If my girlfriend hadn't had dogs (main reason I couldn't stay at her place on the farm; high allergies) I would never of had to stay at Spirit Lake Motel. I hate to say this but, not the best place in town; too dirty and too flighty with reservations, dates and confirmation. Owners are great people but motel is NOT!

Room Tip: Lake front view is GOOD! Motel service is NOT!
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled solo
12 Thank geebeemarie
Also consider these accommodations in or near Menahga
C'mon Inn Park Rapids
#2 of 5 in Wadena
Red Bridge Inn
Red Bridge Inn
#1 of 7 in Park Rapids

Been to Spirit Lake Motel? Share your experiences!