“Not Up To Usual Standards”
Review of Axel's Restaurant

Axel's Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Axel's Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1 of 2 Restaurants in Mendota
Price range: US$20 - US$40
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Description: Axel's River Grille is a casual fine dining establishment offering grilled steaks, chops, & seafood. As well as pastas, salads, and fresh in house made soups and desserts! Axel's offer THE best Walleye in town. This is the place where people come by choice, not chance. Axel's also offers a large selection of fine wines, including a reserve list. Also offering a scotch and whiskey selection like no other. Come out and indulge in a drink list that features the most unique and flavorful libations around. Axel's feature a made to order brunch every Sunday from 10:00am - 2:00pm featuring $.99 glasses of champagne and mimosas. And every Sunday starting at 4:00 pm treat yourself to 1/2 price bottles of wine (20% off our reserve list!). Join Axel's Monday through Friday from 3:00pm - 6:00pm for Happy Hour ($2.00 off all drinks as well as a fantastic food menu). Axel's River Grille is the place where everybody knows your name!!
Reviewed 23 April 2014

We went here recently for our daughter’s birthday and I'll have to say that we should have listened to some of the reviews I read before going here. But normally they have been very good (we have eaten here many times), so we were surprised when our prime rib was tough (3 out of 6 of us had it). The alfredo potatoes were very bland, and my loaded bake potato consisted of a little bit of sour cream and chives just on the very top of my baked potato (I don't consider this “loaded”). The rest of the meal was fine, the salads were good, and my daughter and daughter-in-law liked the coconut shrimp and bacon wrapped scallops they had. We had also ordered appetizers and they were okay (the bull bites and crab/artichoke dip). The popovers were great as always. But the meal just didn't seem as up to par as usual. The other issue was the presentation of a birthday dessert for my daughter. While I appreciate that they did this, they never even asked what she would like from the dessert tray; they simply presented a chocolate cheese cake to her. How did they know she wasn't allergic to chocolate or that she even liked chocolate? Why didn't they just ask her what she wanted from the dessert tray, even if they had to limit it to certain choices? Also, our waiter didn't even ask if the rest of us wanted dessert! After the dessert was delivered our waiter (Patrick) just seemed to disappeared. He never came back to ask us how dessert was, and never refilled our coffee or water. He just showed up later with the check. Also, as we passed the manager on the way out the door he never even asked how our meal was, as they have done in the past. I’m not sure we will ever return here for dinner.

1  Thank JJV55016

Reviewed 1 April 2014

We stopped here on the way to the airport. Arrived about 10:45 with reservations but almost empty although it started to fill by about noon. I had omelet with cream cheese and spinach which was fluffy and light. My partner was the one who suggested this restaurant and she had eggs Benedict which she enjoyed very much. I used some of her sauce on my omelet which added to its taste. Prior to the breakfast being served they brought me a pop-over and she had a muffin. Both very good and the potato home-fries were tasty.

Waitress was attentive.

Lots of parking spaces in their lot.

About $30.00 for the two breakfasts including tip.

1  Thank The_Don_Francisco
Reviewed 8 March 2014

This restaurant was recommended by a business associate. It is wonderful. They have the best walleye in the St Paul area. I've had it several times and it was always excellent. I would place it the number one restaurant in the city. Such a nice place for business meals or just with friends. Wished I lived closer so I could go more often. Don't miss it.

1  Thank Jane M
Reviewed 14 February 2014

I come to Axel's a couple of times every year for a reason: the walleye dinner and the popovers! I have never had a bad experience at Axel's. The apps are great. The French onion soup is great. But he walleye is outstanding! The service is always consistently friendly and attentive. They actually thank you for the business when you leave. Old school restaurant (popovers!) that is one of the best in the Twin Cities.

Reviewed 25 November 2013

Have eaten here several times. The food is good, but nothing over the top. It is a fairly noisy atmosphere and really busy bar area. Sometimes, like this time, the service can be slow.