“Unexpected Gem”

Courtyard Minneapolis-St. Paul Airport
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Mendota Heights
Reviewed 29 September 2013

This morning our fuse box was sparking, threatening to start a fire in our house. We had to pick a hotel nearby to stay at until an electrician is able to fix it. We had enough Marriott reward points to stay here. Feeling irritated by the whole unfortunate situation, we walked into the lobby to check in. Immediately, our moods changed. There is a beautiful lobby with a little convenience shop, a fantastic bar with great food options and beautiful seating. My husband is currently enjoying the hot tub while I sit in a lounge chair nearby writing this review. My view right now is the gorgeous courtyard. Honestly, this would be a great location to stay at if you want to be close to the MOA but a little out of the traffic of it all. It's only about a 5 minute drive to the Mall and is a great place to stay!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Michael M, General Manager at Courtyard Minneapolis-St. Paul Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 8 October 2013

First and foremost, I am sorry to hear about the issues with your house. Those things are never fun to deal with. I am glad that we were able to provide you with a little oasis where you could relax during this frustrating time for you.

Reviewed 26 September 2013

Lately, I’m having trouble finding any value in the Courtyard brand. This location is a good example. It’s basically an old Holiday Inn or Ramada with a paint job and some green Courtyard signs. The bistro is nice and seems to cater more to the binge drinkers than me. Not sure how I managed without Starbucks in the lobby (which happens to be closed most of the day).

I used to enjoy a cup of decaf tea before bed. Now I have to step up to the barista and plop down just shy of $3 for Tazo (Starbucks) tea! I like Starbucks as much as the next guy but it really bothers me that Marriott’s contract with Starbucks is more important than offering complimentary coffee to their frequent travellers.

What happened to complimentary coffee in the lobby, cookies, free high-speed etc etc? Courtyard now wants it’s guests to pay for tea, cookies and if you want high speed Internet, that’s going to cost you too. Dial-up speed Internet is still free. Remember dial-up speed? It’s coming to a Courtyard near you!

I emailed Mike Mitchell, the property GM and received the basic brain-dead canned response offering apologies and whatnot. Apparently market research reveals that Courtyard guests like to pay for everything because they can expense it - I can still make free coffee in the toilet if I want to. Give me a break Mike.

Moving on…the pool and exercise room was nice but not very appealing. The guestrooms looked clean on first blush but are from it when you get up close. Simple things like fingerprint smudges on the sliding doors are left for the next guests to enjoy. Marriott routinely secret-shops these properties and scores them according to how bad (or good) they are. I bet this properties’ scores are in the tank.

The front desk staff was friendly although not enough to persuade me to return to this property and unfortunately keeps my overall score low.

Sorry Courtyard. You’re really making Hilton’s job way too easy.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank 60,089

Thank you again for your feedback and for being our guest. We truly value your business and I am very sorry that you did not enjoy your stay with us. We do pride ourselves on great customer service and the cleanliness of our hotel. Thus, we recieve good scores in this area as a result. It appears that in your case we must have had a room that was not up to our standards and for this I apologize. I will address this with our team.

We as a Courtyard brand aim to appeal to a wide varity of travelers. Thus, our property and Courtyard hotels are offering more amenities to satisfy our guests that will not be found in other select service hotels. Some of these amenities include complimentary high speed internet access, The Bistro which is open daily for breakfast and dinner, Starbucks coffee that the front desk agents or Bistro servers are able to prepare for our guests 24 hours a day, and complimentary in room coffee. Also, each room is equipped with a coffee maker.

Our property as well as many other Courtyard properties will be completing rooms renovations in 2014. Our renovation begins in January 2014 and we feel that our guests will love the new Courtyard rooms package.

I am sorry that you did not have a good experience and I wish that there was something that I could do to make this up to you. If I may be of any further assistance please do not hesitate to email me at michael.mitchell@marriott.com or give me a call at (651) 452-2000.

Reviewed 26 September 2013

We had some issues with reservations. My girlfriend is part of a wedding party and in our haste to book a room we went through a third party. We didn't book enough days and were unaware of the rate that was available to members of the party. Vivian the operations manager extended some good 'ol mid west hospitality with her assistance and assurance that she will be able to accommodate. She was also able to allow a late check in because we have a late flight in. I was relieved to know that we would have a hassle free experience traveling so far from home. I have read similar reviews on the outstanding service and I have to say, "based on the service received I am a believer".

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you so much for your kind comments and we are glad we could be of service. I will be sure to recognize Vivian and I hope that you enjoyed your actual stay with us.

Reviewed 13 September 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed at this Courtyard from August 22nd until August 24th, 2013. We were celebrating my birthday and attending the Minnesota State Fair.

The hotel was clean and pleasant. The staff was very friendly and provided good information about dining options in the area.

The pool area was nice and there was outdoor seating as well. The only thing we really didn't like was that you could hear some of the planes that take off and land from the airport early in the morning. Aside from that we had a very nice stay.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Michael M, General Manager at Courtyard Minneapolis-St. Paul Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 16 September 2013

Thank you so much for being our guest and we are happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay and the State Fair. Hopefully the State Fair was not to hot for you this year.

Reviewed 12 September 2013

Traveled here for business, good location, right off Highway 494. The hotel is very clean, rooms were nice. Restaurant was good for Dinner & Breakfast if you need a quick bite. Gym with cardio equipment, weights and bench - good for a quick work out. Lots of business travelers at this location. Easy access to St. Paul downtown as well.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business

Thank you for being our guest and we are happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay.

Reviewed 12 September 2013

I came in for an event in downtown Saint Paul, and decided to stay here for the first night to avoid having to pay downtown prices for two nights. The airport shuttle picked me up promptly. Check in was very slow, when I arrived there were about 4 or 5 parties waiting and only one front desk person to help them. Check out was also slow due to this same problem. There were several employees in the front desk area, however most of them when asked said that they were not actually able to perform the check in/check out and that I had to wait for the person that did.

The first time they gave me the room key, I went upstairs and it did not work. Then I went downstairs, they rescanned it and it worked. My only other complaint is that my room was right by the ice machine, so there was a lot of noise from the hallway late into the night.

The bed was very comfortable and the room was clean. The breakfast that I purchased was actually very good and affordable. The delays I mentioned above were annoying, but nothing that severely hindered my experience. I paid $95 for a Friday night stay, so I can't complain too much. I would just recommend that the front desk is better staffed for the future.

Room Tip: I would suggest asking to not be near the ice machine/vending area
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Ashley812

Thank you so much for your feedback and for being our guest. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed the majority of your stay, however please accept my apologies for the check in and departure experience that you encounter as this is out of the norm for our property. If it is not too much trouble, would you mind emailing me at michael.mitchell@marriott.com with your name so that I may research your issue further with our team.

Reviewed 11 September 2013

I have been staying at this hotel for many years during business trips. The staff are very friendly at check in and helpful if you need something. The breakfast options are much improved since they remodeled and the staff in the restaurant are really incredible with great customer service. The rooms are modern and always clean and the last time I stayed my room had a mini fridge. The wi-fi is strong and it's easy to connect. The walls are a bit thin and occasionally you can hear your neighbors but overall this is a nice hotel and they have really made some nice improvements. It's a quick drive to the Mall of America. They also have an airport shuttle and there is a running trail nearby. I would stay here again during either business or pleasure travel.

Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank ccpeters

Thank you so much for your kind comments and for being our guest over the years. We are excited to announce that when you return after March we will have completed our rooms and cooridor renovation as well. We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Mendota Heights
Fairfield Inn & Suites Minneapolis-St. Paul Airport
Holiday Inn Minneapolis Arpt SE - Mall Area
Hyatt Regency Bloomington-Minneapolis
Hampton Inn Minneapolis / Eagan
Hilton Minneapolis/St. Paul Airport Mall of America
Hampton Inn & Suites Minneapolis - St. Paul Airport

Been to Courtyard Minneapolis-St. Paul Airport? Share your experiences!