“Visually Impressive..but disappointing in service and pricing”

W Minneapolis - The Foshay
Ranked #11 of 52 Hotels in Minneapolis
Reviewed 15 January 2014

When we went for our stay we were told about the Infinity Car experience. We wanted to do it and was told that we could not. We were not given any explamation. It was disappointing. Not whatever whenever. When we tried to talk to the conciere he was on his phone for long periods of time, so we gave up. When you walk into the hotel it is visiually amazing. Just beautiful and impressive. I was a little disappointed in the size of the room. I was expecting bigger rooms. The bed took up most of the room and when our friends came into our room, there wasn't much space for them to sit and visit with us. We went to the Proabition bar as we heard it had amazing views. It was so crazy busy you couldn't find a place to sit and could hardly even move. We didn't even get a drink. We went and hung out in the lounge downstairs. In the morning we ordered some waffles, orange juice and bacon. We were shocked when we got the bill for $90 some dollars. They were the most expensive waffles we have ever had and weren't worth the high price. If you do room service make sure you understand all the pricing! We thought it would be a treat for our anniversary as we have never had room service before. Big mistake! The check in also was a bit of a wait as they only had 2 check in assistants there. But..when it comes to how beautiful the lobby is, I don't think anyplace in the twin cities can top it. I didn't get much sleep because of all the sirens downtown..but being away from the kids for a night for the anniversary made it ok.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
MattHaw3019, Guest Relations Manager at W Minneapolis - The Foshay, responded to this reviewResponded 27 January 2014

Hello MNTravelGirl007,

Thank you for sharing your recent experience from your stay at W Minneapolis in the historic Foshay Tower. And Happy Anniversary! We welcome you back for another opportunity to enjoy W Minneapolis. On your next stay, please take advantage of our Whatever/Whenever service to schedule any requested transportation needs. Thank you!
Best Regards,

Reviewed 14 January 2014

We stayed here the night I proposed to my now fiancee, and it is an incredibly hotel! It is very posh, modern chic. It has a very cool lobby bar as well as the prohibition bar on the 7th floor I believe. It is a little smaller, but more romantic if it's you and you significant other. The hotel is very close to a lot of downtown attractions, restaurants, bars and a short cab ride to Target field or Target Center. The rooms are very nice, awesome rainfall shower with heat lamp. My fiancee loved the robe! The rooms do come with a mini bar, it is a little expensive but you are downtown where everything is more expensive! I booked the room through hotels.com so I got it a little cheaper than the hotel website had it for, so it wasa great deal. All in all, we would definitely go back to the W. Great hotel!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
ComplexHotelMGMT, Guest Relations Manager at W Minneapolis - The Foshay, responded to this reviewResponded 21 January 2014

Hello Erick M,

Thank you for staying with us at W Minneapolis-The Foshay, what a pleasure to have you and your fiancé in house to celebrate - Congratulations! Glad to hear you enjoyed our Living Room Bar, and the sky high Prohibition bar located on the 27th floor! We look forward to your return, whether it is for a trip to the Foshay Museum and Observation deck, a bite at Manny’s Steakhouse, or a romantic night away!

Reviewed 13 January 2014

Stayed there for one night with my wife and picked it partly for it's location. It is within walking distance to many restaurants and bars. The room itself was large but it was perfect for what we needed it for. The staff were very helpful and friendly. The bars in the hotel were very nice and active. They were a little spendy but oh well. I would definately go back for another stay.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple

Hello trip1mn,

So glad to have you and your wife as guests at W Minneapolis-The Foshay! The location of the historic Foshay Tower is unbeatable, accessible to countless restaurants, bars and venues for fabulous downtown entertainment. We welcome you back for another Whatever/Whenever experience soon!

Best Wishes,

Reviewed 11 January 2014

I got an amazing deal online, while browsing for a fairly cheap bed for a few nights. This was a bit of an experience, everything is a bit O.T.T The pink lighting in the foyer is a bit off putting. I did arrive an hour or so early, I was told I would get a call once my room was ready, I didn't and that annoyed me a bit. It has an amazing mini shop in the room, drinks, snacks, even umbrellas and lots of other handy stuff. But it didn't have any tea or coffee making facilities. I ate in my room one night and it took two visits for my whole order to arrive, not because of its size, they just forgot things. Then for a second day in a row they had no tea available in the hotel. Breakfast was very good and the staff in the restraunt were also very good. It a really busy buzzing place. If like me you can get a deal, it's worth a visit.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business

Welcome Donnie M,

Thank you for making W Minneapolis you hotel of choice for your trip to Minnesota! My personal apologies your in room dining order fell short of expectations, I will be sure to address this situation with our talent coaches. It will be my pleasure to note your preference regarding coffee and tea in your Starwood guest profile, so we can have it in your room prior to arrival for your next stay. Please see my direct message to properly note your preferences.

Thank you again for your feedback, I hope W Minneapolis gets the opportunity to welcome you back soon.

Regards,

Reviewed 9 January 2014

Mostly wonderful, over the top things…then one not. Overall an amazing hotel and experience. I phoned prior to arrival as a surprise to my friend to ask if they could do something special for her. Our concierge Brian was a true gentleman who not only made us feel welcome but also bought our drinks at the rooftop bar and came up to tell us about our dinner reservations he made for us. My girlfriend was celebrating with me as she had just completed 38 rounds of chemo so we planned a high end stay cation retreat and Brian made it great from minute one. The manager had a bottle of champagne, truffles, a balloon and a card waiting for her in our room, which was SO touching and generous. The room was quiet and pretty…not huge and no great views from floor 8 but higher floors do have more city views. Our only bubble popper was the bartender at the rooftop bar, Prohibition. He was, well, not very interested in serving us nor having us in his bar out initial time up at happy hour, but our experience after dinner, he was simply rude. Now funny thing, I run a restaurant. Never said a word to him about it as he talked me down about liquor and wine and sweetness vs. sour, well~balanced drinks and so on. We requested a special drink that had that had been recommended to us that we PURPOSELY came up to nightcap on, and he refused, telling us it was too big and we shouldn't have it, it's to be shared, what not what not. I was shocked. After the beautiful day we had to have this person tell us what we should drink or not and when, and act as if he didn't even want us there, 2 HOURS PRIOR TO CLOSE was unacceptable. Let alone it was a celebration, as I told him, and I didn't care if we had two sips and left it…so he made me a super sweet martini, the one thing I hate. The best part was there were so few people there he should have been happy to have our business, plus we tip really well :) So we went to the bar downstairs at Manny's Restaurant and had an excellent end of the night cocktail. Goes to show people, me included, always treat all guests with respect as you have no idea just who they might be or what they might do… Please don't let this deter you from the W…just be aware the hotel is surrounded by restaurants and bars so try them all out and don't feel stuck like we did at -20 below zero ;) The main floor bar of the W…The Living Room…is sexy and gorgeous as well so definitely try it~ dirty ketel 1 ~ perfect.

Room Tip: You'll want a higher room for the views, but not too close to the rooftop bar :)
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends

Hello saltynotsweet,

It was a pleasure of W Minneapolis-The Foshay to have you as our guests for such an amazing milestone celebration! It will be my pleasure to pass on your wonderful feedback to Brian and the rest of the team who lead in our Whatever/Whenever service promise.

My sincere apologies your Prohibition experience did not meet expectations; and the impression you received is most certainly not that of the W brand. I will be sure to address this situation with our talent immediately; in the meantime, please see my direct message for follow up.

I look forward to another opportunity to welcome you and your girlfriend back to W Minneapolis in the historic Foshay Tower. Thank you again for your feedback.

Best Regards,

Reviewed 7 January 2014

I had a phenomenal first stay experience at the W in Minneapolis. I booked the room rather last minute, but got a great rate. I was greeted by incredibly friendly staff upon check-in who told me all about the hotel, its restaurants and other amenities. For joining SPG, I was upgraded to a nicer room. I checked into the room, which was top notch. Newly renovated and very nice amenities inside. Very comfortable bed and overall comfortable atmosphere. The bar / restaurant at the top of the hotel, Prohibition, had a great happy hour special and terrific food as well.

All in all, I had an amazing experience at the W. It will be my go-to destination during my next visit to Minneapolis.

Room Tip: If you can get an upgraded corner room, those are very nice. I received one for joining SPG upon ch...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
ComplexHotelMGMT, Guest Relations Manager at W Minneapolis - The Foshay, responded to this reviewResponded 16 January 2014

Greetings, Riley C,

Thank you for choosing to stay at W Minneapolis, it was great to have you for your first visit! I am excited you enjoyed the welcome experience and are a new member of SPG, our complimentary rewards program. The doors at the iconic Foshay Tower are always open to you; looking forward to welcoming you back to the Midwest and W Minneapolis!

Best Wishes,

Reviewed 7 January 2014

From the time you meet your Valet at curbside, through to the checkout, you are treated with a genuine, caring respected interest by the staff to make sure you have nothing short of an amazing stay at the W Minneapolis - The Forshay. This art deco hotel is definitely a break from the "Big Box" hotels. There is no need to leave the hotel either. You must try their observation deck, the "Prohibition Bar" on the 27th floor and the super cool lobby/lounge area. The rooms are spacious, extremely clean with all the amenities. Free coffee in the morning at Manny's restaurant too!! This hotel is PERFCT for business and romantic getaways.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business

Welcome MMello1261,

Thank you for being our guest at W Minneapolis-The Foshay and for the five star review! I will be sure to pass on your kind words to our team, from Wheels to the Welcome Office, and Style. It will be a pleasure to have you back on your next visit to the historic Foshay Tower!