“Cool, Trendy Hotel”

W Minneapolis - The Foshay
Ranked #11 of 52 Hotels in Minneapolis
Reviewed 19 June 2014

My wife and I took advantage of a GroupOn for this hotel just before Valentine's Day 2014. The lobby almost feels like a night club (probably because it shares space with one), but in a good way. The rooms in this historic downtown Mpls building were recently renovated which was nice, but a few spots in our room obviously didn't get the finishing touches in regards to painting. Overall though, very good experience.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
ComplexHotelMGMT, Guest Relations Manager at W Minneapolis - The Foshay, responded to this reviewResponded 3 July 2014

Hello Rob W,
Thank you for visiting W Minneapolis-The Foshay; a historic hotel located in the heart of downtown! I am happy to hear you enjoyed your visit, however, am sorry to hear the paint conditions in your guestroom fell short of expectations. Please see my direct message in regards to remedying this matter. Thank you again for your feedback, and I look forward to your response.
Best Wishes,
Matthew Hawkins

Write a ReviewReviews (1,300)

Reviewed 18 June 2014

My wife and I stayed one Saturday night to celebrate my birthday! The lobby is ultra-modern and fun with cool fluorescent lighting. The location is great, we walked to eat out that night. Upon returning the first floor was very lively. We were afraid we would hear the music from our room on the 3rd floor, but the good news is we couldn't hear the music or bass or anything. Our room was comfortable and Quiet, except we could hear other doors closing in the nearby rooms. Definitely not a room for families. We would stay there again without the kids.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

Hello Lakesfam,
Thank you for celebrating at W Minneapolis- and a very Happy Birthday to you! Glad you enjoyed the Roaring Twenties Meet Modern Cool design of the historic Foshay Tower, and found the accessible location fitting for your needs. We look forward to welcoming you back soon!
Sip.Bask.Celebrate.

Reviewed 18 June 2014

We stayed one night and were very pleased with the accommodations. The hotel was very ornate and in an excellent location. The room and bed were comfortable, nicely decorated, quiet, and clean. We got a great last minute deal.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family

Welcome Daniel I,
Thank you for joining us at W Minneapolis-The Foshay for your relaxing escape. I am happy our signature W beds, amazing Bliss spa amenities and cleanliness made your last minute getaway excellent!
Whatever/Whenever,

Reviewed 16 June 2014

This was my 2nd stay at the Foshay for business and I rather enjoy the hotel more than most W's I have visited.

The historic building certainly helps but I also found the staff to be very accommodating from the front drive to housekeeping and the concierge.

Prohibition atop the Foshay is an amazing place for happy hour and contributes to the atmosphere that makes the W my favorite hotel in downtown Minneapolis.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business

Hello bmordski,
Thank you for choosing to stay at W Minneapolis-The Foshay on your visit to the Twin Cities! I am pleased we had the opportunity to welcome you back, and you got to revel in the history and amazing views from the top of the iconic Foshay Tower. Can’t wait for your next visit!

Reviewed 13 June 2014

My husband and I stayed at the Foshay for 2 nights to celebrate our anniversary. We couldn't have been more pleased with the experience. Reserving through the hotel's website was a breeze. I called a week before we checked in and set up a surprise of champagne and strawberries for my husband. The concierge was extremely helpful in making suggestions. The Foshay does something a little different than the typical chocolate-covered strawberries. They provided a large bowl of beautiful, fresh strawberries and three dripping options: hot fudge, beautiful whipped cream, and what I think was a caramel or butterscotch. It was worth every penny.

We reserved a Marvelous Suite and, upon check-in, were upgraded to whatever is the next step above that. I think the Wow Suite. It has a large sitting area, dining area, and separate bedroom and bathroom. It was very spacious and just what we wanted for a lazy 2 days. It was very warm in the room, so we called down to have a fan brought up. An engineer came as well and after his visit the room cooled right down.

I enjoyed the bathroom and it's deep soaking tub overlooking the city (we were on the 25th floor) and large rain shower with trendy pink lighting. I loved the hotel's lobby and bars but thought the room was a little bare and the hallways to the rooms were extremely dark and kind of creepy. Other than that, the bed was incredibly comfortable and we had 2 great nights of sleep. We ordered dessert and breakfast from room service and both were brought promptly, were nice and hot, and tasted great.

As a guest of the hotel, you can visit the Foshay museum and observations deck for free. They do charge for valet and overnight parking, so be aware of that. Manny's Steakhouse was fantastic for an anniversary dinner, my husband enjoyed a large steak and I had a 4-lb. lobster. What a treat.

We look forward to spending all of our anniversaries at the Foshay. Well done!

Room Tip: Suites are up high and have great views of the city
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank jracleveland

Hello jracleveland,
Happy Anniversary! It was a pleasure to have you and your husband stay with us to celebrate your special occasion at W Minneapolis under the roof of the iconic Foshay Tower. I am thrilled to hear you could not have been more pleased by your entire W experience and our WOW suite delivered perfect accommodations! Our doors are always open, and we look forward to welcoming you back for another celebration or night of rejuvenation.
Cheers!

Reviewed 10 June 2014

We stayed at the W Minneapolis for the first time this past weekend and were very pleased. The lobby is ultra-modern and fun but the dark decor might not appeal to everyone. The room was nice - not huge but well laid out and everything was clean and well maintained. We were on a higher floor (13) and had good views. The location was perfect - close to everything downtown.

The staff was wonderful - front desk, concierge, valet's - everyone. This hotel should be very proud of their employees, they are an asset.

Valet parking is expensive but they were responsive and there are self-park options close if you choose.

My only complaint is the bedding. Apparently Starwood hotels don't believe in fitted bottom sheets so by the end of every night the bedding was coming untucked. I've experienced this in other Starwood hotels so it must be a corporate thing.

We would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family

Hello freetr,
Thank you for being our guest at W Minneapolis-The Foshay! I am so glad you enjoyed everything from the layout and views from your guest room to the unmatched accessibility of our historic hotel. And thank you for the comments regarding our wonderful staff; it is truly our pleasure of our talent to ensure we deliver Whatever/Whenever during your stay. Looking forward to welcoming you back again soon!
Best Wishes,

Reviewed 7 June 2014

We enjoyed a very comfortable stay at the W Minneapolis--The Foshay. It is ideally located to reach everything in the Minneapolis/St. Paul area. The restoration of the Foshay Tower is beautiful and effective. Our room was comfortable and QUIET! We made good use of the public areas of the hotel (the ground level bar off the lobby and the Prohibition Bar upstairs). The only drawback was catching up with our bar bill at check out--the bars and restaurant (Manny's) are quite expensive. Nonetheless, we enjoyed our time at the W. And we were among the oldest people staying at the hotel. It was a lot of fun!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
ComplexHotelMGMT, Guest Relations Manager at W Minneapolis - The Foshay, responded to this reviewResponded 18 June 2014

Hello Ken T,
Thank you for being our guests at W Minneapolis, in the iconic Foshay Tower! I am pleased you enjoyed the accessibility of our downtown location, and thank you for visiting our fabulous food and beverage outlets right on property- Manny’s Steakhouse, the Living Room Bar and Prohibition. We invite you back for another fun filled stay at W Minneapolis-The Foshay!
Cheers!