“The staff handled a tough situation with true professionalism.”

W Minneapolis - The Foshay
Ranked #11 of 52 Hotels in Minneapolis
Reviewed 4 July 2014

First off, I had a fantastic stay at this hotel. The room was great, with a fancy little pink bar and big windows. The bathroom was beautiful too. We ate at the attached diner (delicious and very authentic!) and had a drink at Prohibition, with its 360-degree view of the skyline around the building. It was beautiful! There were lounge areas all over, definitely a neat space to mingle. It really picked up as it got later, with a pretty hip crowd stopping by for $15 cocktails. I had an Epiphany, with Grey Goose La Poire vodka, St. Germain elderflower liqueur, sparkling wine, and an orchid garnish. An ORCHID. Okay, so that's why the cocktail costs $15. Delicious, refreshing, and yum.

The tough situation I refer to in the title? My cousin came in to visit me and stay a night at the hotel. But a scam artist pushed his way towards her, bumped into her, and took off... with her wallet. The person and his accomplice were dressed pretty well, and were very smooth. By the time we figured out what happened, they were gone. You CANNOT access the rooms in the W without key access, so these guys knew to keep near the lobby floor. It was the perfect crime. Now, this situation might have ruined our stay at the W... but the staff reacted so quickly and professionally. Everyone was in shock, given this never happens at a hotel of this caliber! They quickly contacted the police, secured video footage of the crime, fed us via room service on the house, and stayed with us throughout the whole process to ensure we felt safe.

Since I was staying additional nights at the hotel, I could have let this incident drive me away. But I was so impressed by the staff (and their authenticity and manners) that I felt 100% safe to stay in spite of this freak incident. I almost hate to share this tale in a review, but I think it's a testament to show that the W Foshay is a classy place, with trustworthy and quick-thinking employees. Because of their reaction time, we were able to shut down cards and get authorities on alert before the criminals could make any purchases. (In fact, they tried to purchase $1000+ of stuff at nearby Target, but they were denied!) Thank you W Foshay, you'll be my top pick in Minneapolis always.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
ComplexHotelMGMT, Guest Relations Manager at W Minneapolis - The Foshay, responded to this reviewResponded 22 July 2014

Hello aubreyland325,
Thank you for being our guest at W Minneapolis-The Foshay, I am happy to hear your stay was fantastic! In addition, I am thrilled you had an opportunity to relax with one of our signature cocktails- the Epiphany- during your visit to the 27th floor sky bar, Prohibition! My personal apologies you experienced a tough situation- please understand safety and security for our guests are a number one priority and I am so sorry this caused disappointment in your stay. Your kind words regarding our guest service during your emergency are appreciated and I will be sure to pass them onto our team. We would love to welcome you back for another visit soon!
Matthew Hawkins

Write a ReviewReviews (1,300)

Reviewed 1 July 2014

Fantastic hotel with a GREAT history (read about the John Philips Sousa history on Wikipedia). Don't miss the hotel museum and bar which was Mr Foshay's apratment. Even if your staying at the hotel plan to visit it. The architecture is just great! Loved it

Room Tip: South side gets an amazing view of the building in a glass building accross the street
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
ComplexHotelMGMT, Guest Relations Manager at W Minneapolis - The Foshay, responded to this reviewResponded 3 July 2014

Hello Jefforl,
Thank you for staying with us at W Minneapolis-The Foshay and for posting a five star review! I am so glad you reveled in the history of the Foshay Tower and visited our 30th floor Museum and Observation Deck! Come back soon for another historically unique W experience!

Reviewed 1 July 2014

I travel for work a lot and my stay at the W Minneapolis was awesome.

I needed copies very late, around 2:30am and everything I needed was met.

W Hotels are always cool, the design was awesome, the people are great and the location couldn't be beat.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business

Hello ChicagoanGeek,
It was a pleasure to have you as our guest at W Minneapolis-The Foshay! Thank you for the compliments regarding our guest service; we are happy to accommodate any guest requests the Whatever/Whenever way! We look forward to welcoming you back again, for business or pleasure!

Reviewed 29 June 2014

I cancelled a reservation at a nearby hotel to stay at this W property also called the Foshay in honor of the old Art Deco building in which the hotel was created. The hotel has no curb or drive up appeal - the main entrance basically opens onto Marquette Street with a non descript double glass doors - you would walk right but it except for the doormen hanging around the entrance. When you walk in, it is a long trek to the back of the building and the main check in desk You have to walk past the bars/restaurant and the perpetually empty Concierge desk (in 6 days there i NEVER saw a Concierge actually at the desk). Check in process was fine - the brightly colored reception area was cool. The elevators are somewhat of a pain - being an old building, it seemed that every day, at least one of the three elevators was out of order, making it a bit of a wait sometimes for an elevator when you were in a rush. i was "upgraded" on my room as an elite level member. I am guessing the upgrade was a higher floor as the room itself was very small. The Foshay is essentially a tall tower with about 6-8 rooms per floor. The room was small, and the bathroom was even smaller. Neither of these facts impressed me - in fact, i was almost in disbelief. The air conditioning barely kept up with the humid heat on a couple of the days I was there. The bedside lamp shade (glass) was cracked. There were barely any electrical outlets in the room that you could get to without moving heavy furniture (what happened to easy access plugs built into the desks?? not good for business travelers). The wifi was included in my rate and free for elites - it was ok in terms of speed. Maid service was inconsistent at best - which tells me there is also a problem with quality control from management if there are deficiencies overlooked by the managers (e.g., some days the bathmat was there, others it was not; some days there were enough towels for two people, some days there were not; some days the toiletries were properly replaced for two people, sometimes they were not. The shower door did not fully close, causing water to get onto the main bathroom floor. only one person could be in the bathroom at one time - it really was too small and unlike any other W i have been to before. EVERY time we called the "Whatever Whenever" number at the W, the person answering did not know the answers to our seemingly basic questions about the local area etc. Disappointing. And the absent Concierge didn't provide us any options other than googling on our own. The refrigerator might as well have been off because it didnt keep anything cold - more like just slightly cooler than room temp. The towels were fluffy and absorbent. There was an in room safe large enough for laptops. The bed was comfortable. But all in all, i did not find this particular W of the same stature as other W hotels. I probably would not stay at this one again.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank NYCworldtraveler2

Hello ccgworldtraveler,
Thank you for taking the time to communicate your experience at W Minneapolis-The Foshay. W Hotel exteriors, guest rooms and public space vary in size, shape and theme throughout the hotels as a brand. More specifically the W Minneapolis interior design has an art deco, roaring 20’s, speakeasy flare which has provided passionate responses from our guests. I would like to apologize that the decorations were not to your expectations. My personal apologies the concierge service and conditions of your guestroom were also a disappointment. Please see my private message regarding your stay, as I would like to find out reservation details including your date of stay and room number so I can ensure all issues are addressed immediately. I am sorry for these shortcomings, and express regret that you left experiencing anything less that the high level of service we are capable of providing. As well, it is our hope to learn from our mistakes and take the appropriate steps to assure that we improve our service.

Reviewed 25 June 2014

We love to stay in old hotels that are reinvated this one has a great twist. Love to go to the top for a great look at the city lights. Hotel staff is very friendly and helpful. We also ate at the Manny, restaurant was a great place for a steak dinner.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

Greetings, IIs104,
Thank you for visiting the iconic Foshay Tower and staying at W Minneapolis! I am so happy you enjoyed your time basking in the history of the 1929 built Foshay Tower, amid a contemporary scene and art deco splendor. Our doors are always open, stop back soon for another fabulous meal at Manny’s Steakhouse or a visit to the 30th floor Observation Deck and Museum!
Cheers!

Reviewed 24 June 2014

I hope that I can say better things after my stay this weekend. I am still excited to stay at the W as it looks like a gorgeous hotel.

I requested in advance that my room be ready 2 hours early. My reasoning for this is I am getting married very near to the hotel at 4pm (check in is at 3pm) and wanted to be able to get prepared in the room prior to the ceremony. Unfortunately I cannot book the room for the evening before but thought an early check in would be a simple request. I was told they could not guarantee my room would be ready. If I wanted that guarantee I needed to book the night before as well. The email exchanges between myself and the staff have been pleasant, but not accommodating. I understand they need time to get the rooms ready for new guests, but being I asked well in advance and check out time is noon, I thought a 1pm check in was with in reason. We also plan to dine at Manny's with a few friends post ceremony and have a larger group of friends to Prohibition for drinks following dinner to celebrate our union. I'm almost tempted to change our plans based on the service I've received so far.

I expected more from a high quality hotel. Today I received an email confirming my reservation and it clearly states: "You’re almost here - get ready for an amazing stay. If you need anything, just ask. Whatever you want, whenever you want it. We'll take care of it. No problem."

That message is kind of confusing considering I have asked for something and it seems to be a problem. I will say, they said I could call the morning of and see if the room is ready. I intend to do so, but it would have been really nice to just have that confirmation ahead of time. One less thing to be concerned with on the big day.

I hope my mind can be changed post stay, but being we are celebrating the most special day of our lives together with the W I was hoping for a little more service.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Shannon S

Hello Shannon S,
Thank you for taking the time to review your experience prior to your stay at W Minneapolis-The Foshay. We are committed to providing Whatever/Whenever service, and look forward to doing just that when you arrive in house for your special day. I will be sure to share your feedback with the appropriate departmental managers so we can ensure your experience is most memorable. Thank you for choosing W Minneapolis for your wedding day, we look forward to your celebration!

Reviewed 22 June 2014

We recently spent one night at the W hotel before hockey camp up north. I had 2 kids with me under the age of 10. They loved the hotel. We had a corner suite on the 28th floor which I recommend for families. The views were amazing. Neat experience to visit the museum and observation deck up on the top. The hotel was kid enough to bring special treats for the kids- cupcakes and mini Oreos and gummy bears. Would defines tell stay there again. Concierge was also terrific is recommendations a great restaurant that was fun for kids and mom.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Leigh H

Hello Leigh H,
Thank you for choosing W Minneapolis-The Foshay for your visit to the Twin Cities! It was a pleasure to have your family stay with us in a luxurious 28th floor Fantastic Suite, decked out with custom designed furniture throughout the guest bedroom, expansive living room and dining room areas. Our entire team is here for Whatever/Whenever, and we were most happy to provide a sweet simple something for your kids as well! Happy Summer!