“Average Stay for W”

Ranked #11 of 49 Hotels in Minneapolis
Salt Lake City, Utah, United States
“Average Stay for W”
Reviewed 8 July 2014

Just completed a stay at this property over the 4th of July weekend.

We used 3 SNAs and confirmed 4 days out, however when we checked in and went to our room we were given a cool corner room and not a WOW Suite. When I called to inquire they said they had nothing on file so I showed them the email and they found us a suite about 30 min later. Room was a bit tired and could have used a good cleaning and sprayed for spiders, found 2 in my room during the stay.

Great Happy Hour from 5pm-7pm at both Prohibition and Living Room. Manny's was a great place to grab breakfast and a bloody mary. Loved that it came with a 7oz Coors Light.

At check out had to go back twice and show them we had a daily breakfast credit (they claimed it was a one time credit of $40) again had to show an email. 15 min later they wouldn't honor one of the days because one of us ordered a brunch item during the overlap of breakfast and brunch items. Also have to call today because rate included bonus 500 points which have not posted.

I will try out the Westin next time down the road it was exhausting having to fight for the rate and suite we booked and lack of Platinum recognition.

Green Features: Love make a Green Choice option for guests staying more than one night.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Mitchell B
ComplexHotelMGMT, Guest Relations Manager at W Minneapolis - The Foshay, responded to this review, 22 July 2014
Greetings Mitchell B,
Thank you for celebrating America’s birthday with us at W Minneapolis-The Foshay, and for your Starwood loyalty! My apologies your visit fell short of expectations during the welcome, but happy to hear your room placement was quickly resolved. I am sorry to hear upon departure there were additional issues with your folio. Please know this will be addressed immediately with the appropriate department managers for resolution. We would love an opportunity to welcome you back for another stay at W Minneapolis and ensure a visit with our Whatever/Whenever service promise. At your convenience, please see my direct message for reservation details; I look forward to hearing from you.
Matthew Hawkins

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (358)
  • Korean first
HOLLYWOOD,FL
Reviewed 7 July 2014

If you are, as I am, a lover of Art Deco design, you will fall madly in love with this hotel. Our room was large and comfortable, the staff were friendly and helpful. The hotel offers many amenities like a concierge, a restaurant and bar, complimentary coffee in the lobby in the morning, large bathrooms with many mirrors, lots of storage for clothes, etc. But the best part of this hotel is the refurbishing of this old office building which was beautifully done by retaining the original Art Deco architectural ornamentation in the lobby and elevators. Even if you don't get to stay at the Foshay, stop by and admire the beauty. You will be glad you did. Plus, Minneapolis is a great city (albeit a bit cold in the winter), with wonderful restaurants, lots to do, and the nicest people you would want to meet anywhere. The hotel is well located if you are traveling for business, shopping or the cultural arts.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank DAKOTA39
Hello Amy K,
Your five star review made our day- thank you for staying with us at W Minneapolis! If you love a Roaring Twenties Meet Modern Cool vibe, then W Minneapolis-The Foshay is a whimsical wonderland for you! Thank you for the compliments regarding our guest service, it is the pleasure of our entire staff to ensure a Whatever/Whenever experience! Enjoy your summer, and see you soon!
Sip. Bask. Celebrate.
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 7 July 2014

Nothing fancy, this hotel is what you would expect from a W. The rooms are clean, but relatively small since it's in an old building that has been remodeled. The service is prompt and friendly and the atmosphere is the typical modern, faux asian decor common among most W hotels. Great for a quick, relatively cheap hotel stay.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
ComplexHotelMGMT, Director of Sales at W Minneapolis - The Foshay, responded to this review, 22 July 2014
Hello Amy K,
Thank you for being our guest at W Minneapolis, located in the historic Foshay Tower. Please note our guest rooms vary in size due to the historic nature of the Washington Monument inspired 1929 building. W Minneapolis interior design has an art deco, roaring 20’s, speakeasy flare which has provided passionate responses from our guests. I would like to apologize that the decorations were not to your expectations. We hope to welcome you back again soon, our doors are always open!
Happy Summer!
Reviewed 4 July 2014

First off, I had a fantastic stay at this hotel. The room was great, with a fancy little pink bar and big windows. The bathroom was beautiful too. We ate at the attached diner (delicious and very authentic!) and had a drink at Prohibition, with its 360-degree view of the skyline around the building. It was beautiful! There were lounge areas all over, definitely a neat space to mingle. It really picked up as it got later, with a pretty hip crowd stopping by for $15 cocktails. I had an Epiphany, with Grey Goose La Poire vodka, St. Germain elderflower liqueur, sparkling wine, and an orchid garnish. An ORCHID. Okay, so that's why the cocktail costs $15. Delicious, refreshing, and yum.

The tough situation I refer to in the title? My cousin came in to visit me and stay a night at the hotel. But a scam artist pushed his way towards her, bumped into her, and took off... with her wallet. The person and his accomplice were dressed pretty well, and were very smooth. By the time we figured out what happened, they were gone. You CANNOT access the rooms in the W without key access, so these guys knew to keep near the lobby floor. It was the perfect crime. Now, this situation might have ruined our stay at the W... but the staff reacted so quickly and professionally. Everyone was in shock, given this never happens at a hotel of this caliber! They quickly contacted the police, secured video footage of the crime, fed us via room service on the house, and stayed with us throughout the whole process to ensure we felt safe.

Since I was staying additional nights at the hotel, I could have let this incident drive me away. But I was so impressed by the staff (and their authenticity and manners) that I felt 100% safe to stay in spite of this freak incident. I almost hate to share this tale in a review, but I think it's a testament to show that the W Foshay is a classy place, with trustworthy and quick-thinking employees. Because of their reaction time, we were able to shut down cards and get authorities on alert before the criminals could make any purchases. (In fact, they tried to purchase $1000+ of stuff at nearby Target, but they were denied!) Thank you W Foshay, you'll be my top pick in Minneapolis always.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Hello aubreyland325,
Thank you for being our guest at W Minneapolis-The Foshay, I am happy to hear your stay was fantastic! In addition, I am thrilled you had an opportunity to relax with one of our signature cocktails- the Epiphany- during your visit to the 27th floor sky bar, Prohibition! My personal apologies you experienced a tough situation- please understand safety and security for our guests are a number one priority and I am so sorry this caused disappointment in your stay. Your kind words regarding our guest service during your emergency are appreciated and I will be sure to pass them onto our team. We would love to welcome you back for another visit soon!
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed 1 July 2014

Fantastic hotel with a GREAT history (read about the John Philips Sousa history on Wikipedia). Don't miss the hotel museum and bar which was Mr Foshay's apratment. Even if your staying at the hotel plan to visit it. The architecture is just great! Loved it

Room Tip: South side gets an amazing view of the building in a glass building accross the street
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
ComplexHotelMGMT, Guest Relations Manager at W Minneapolis - The Foshay, responded to this review, 3 July 2014
Hello Jefforl,
Thank you for staying with us at W Minneapolis-The Foshay and for posting a five star review! I am so glad you reveled in the history of the Foshay Tower and visited our 30th floor Museum and Observation Deck! Come back soon for another historically unique W experience!
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 1 July 2014

I travel for work a lot and my stay at the W Minneapolis was awesome.

I needed copies very late, around 2:30am and everything I needed was met.

W Hotels are always cool, the design was awesome, the people are great and the location couldn't be beat.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Hello ChicagoanGeek,
It was a pleasure to have you as our guest at W Minneapolis-The Foshay! Thank you for the compliments regarding our guest service; we are happy to accommodate any guest requests the Whatever/Whenever way! We look forward to welcoming you back again, for business or pleasure!
NYC
Reviewed 29 June 2014

I cancelled a reservation at a nearby hotel to stay at this W property also called the Foshay in honor of the old Art Deco building in which the hotel was created. The hotel has no curb or drive up appeal - the main entrance basically opens onto Marquette Street with a non descript double glass doors - you would walk right but it except for the doormen hanging around the entrance. When you walk in, it is a long trek to the back of the building and the main check in desk You have to walk past the bars/restaurant and the perpetually empty Concierge desk (in 6 days there i NEVER saw a Concierge actually at the desk). Check in process was fine - the brightly colored reception area was cool. The elevators are somewhat of a pain - being an old building, it seemed that every day, at least one of the three elevators was out of order, making it a bit of a wait sometimes for an elevator when you were in a rush. i was "upgraded" on my room as an elite level member. I am guessing the upgrade was a higher floor as the room itself was very small. The Foshay is essentially a tall tower with about 6-8 rooms per floor. The room was small, and the bathroom was even smaller. Neither of these facts impressed me - in fact, i was almost in disbelief. The air conditioning barely kept up with the humid heat on a couple of the days I was there. The bedside lamp shade (glass) was cracked. There were barely any electrical outlets in the room that you could get to without moving heavy furniture (what happened to easy access plugs built into the desks?? not good for business travelers). The wifi was included in my rate and free for elites - it was ok in terms of speed. Maid service was inconsistent at best - which tells me there is also a problem with quality control from management if there are deficiencies overlooked by the managers (e.g., some days the bathmat was there, others it was not; some days there were enough towels for two people, some days there were not; some days the toiletries were properly replaced for two people, sometimes they were not. The shower door did not fully close, causing water to get onto the main bathroom floor. only one person could be in the bathroom at one time - it really was too small and unlike any other W i have been to before. EVERY time we called the "Whatever Whenever" number at the W, the person answering did not know the answers to our seemingly basic questions about the local area etc. Disappointing. And the absent Concierge didn't provide us any options other than googling on our own. The refrigerator might as well have been off because it didnt keep anything cold - more like just slightly cooler than room temp. The towels were fluffy and absorbent. There was an in room safe large enough for laptops. The bed was comfortable. But all in all, i did not find this particular W of the same stature as other W hotels. I probably would not stay at this one again.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank NYCworldtraveler2
Hello ccgworldtraveler,
Thank you for taking the time to communicate your experience at W Minneapolis-The Foshay. W Hotel exteriors, guest rooms and public space vary in size, shape and theme throughout the hotels as a brand. More specifically the W Minneapolis interior design has an art deco, roaring 20’s, speakeasy flare which has provided passionate responses from our guests. I would like to apologize that the decorations were not to your expectations. My personal apologies the concierge service and conditions of your guestroom were also a disappointment. Please see my private message regarding your stay, as I would like to find out reservation details including your date of stay and room number so I can ensure all issues are addressed immediately. I am sorry for these shortcomings, and express regret that you left experiencing anything less that the high level of service we are capable of providing. As well, it is our hope to learn from our mistakes and take the appropriate steps to assure that we improve our service.