“After 4 stays in 6 months, recent stay was disappointing...”

The Hotel Minneapolis, Autograph Collection
Ranked #29 of 49 Hotels in Minneapolis
GreenLeadersSilver level
St Louis, MO
“After 4 stays in 6 months, recent stay was disappointing...”
Reviewed 16 August 2014

I've stayed at this hotel four times in 6 months w/varying results. The hotel is very convenient to the businesses that I work with, the front desk staff are friendly/helpful, internet service good, and concierge lounge a lifesaver. But, on my last stay, I found myself with no toilet paper at 1 a.m., leaving me very surprised and upset! The first night I had it, but the second, there was barely any on the roll when getting back after a long day and longer dinner meetings. I should have checked before bed, because the toilet seat was left up after cleaning, the mushy, used soap had been put in my travel bag (a first), and I was left with no refill of hair conditioner.
Other notes ... the rooms are painted in dark colors and depending on location of room, it can be poorly light w/all the lights on. The last stay, the carpet was terribly stained and looked dirty overall. There is a light rail station somewhat close and restaurants easily accessible. (As a Marriott regular, I'm sure I'll go back, but may look at other options the next time.)

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank ShelbyJR
Allison S, General Manager at The Hotel Minneapolis, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, 18 August 2014
hank you for offering your feedback on your recent stays. We strive to exceed every guests’ expectations and appreciate the feedback offered from our guests, especially our most loyal. While I appreciate the compliments on the staff and lounge offerings I must apologize that you experienced cleanliness issues in your guest room and that your amenities were not restocked. I have followed up with our Housekeeping team to ensure these details are followed through on every day. I realize that those are the little details that set one hotel apart from the rest and will continue to focus on those details. Thank you for your loyalty to Marriott and I hope you will give us another chance in the near future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (149)
Minnesota
Reviewed 15 August 2014

We stayed at the Hotel Minneapolis while downtown for a night out. It was very nice. The rooms were smallish but nicely acquainted. The hotel is a short walk from what would typically be considered the nightlife (i.e., along Hennepin and First Ave) but certainly does not require a taxi (other than perhaps in the dead of winter). My only complaint was that the bed was incredibly uncomfortable. Amazingly so.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Lonsdale, Minnesota
Reviewed 8 August 2014

Some friends of mine were staying at this hotel and because we were checking in very late (or early, depending on how you look at it) they ran into some trouble getting into their room. Jason F at the front desk was incredibly accommodating and VERY patient with us and was able to get us checked in. The lobby is REALLY cute and modern and I liked the room, despite the fact that it was VERY small (no dresser for the TV to sit on, it was mounted on the wall and the mini fridge just sat on the floor) I would stay here again if I needed a hotel in Minneapolis!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Chelsea G
Encinitas, California
Reviewed 7 August 2014

This hotel has a serious identity crises. It's a little trendy and swanky in the lobby, historical industrial in the elevator and elevator lobby, and a hodgepodge of themes in the room, none of it appealing. The bed was comfortable and the shower was warm, which met my minimum requirements of any hotel, but beyond that, this place was not worth staying at.

Upon entering the lobby, I thought, "this place is nice." It's a little trendy and swanky like the W, with a nice vibe. But things went downhill fast from there. Entering the elevator, it became more industrial. Exiting the elevator, I found a tired looking hotel interior trying to give that historical feeling. But given that the carpets are in desperate need of replacing and the door frames are that old school steel, it just came across as old and tired. Walking down the hallway, my expectations were dropping fast. Entering the room, I just knew this would be the last time I ever staying in this hotel. The walls were a mix of yellow and burnt orange, the carpet needed to be replaced years ago, and the view was a lovely small alleyway. The bathroom was a decent size, but even it had an odd mix of designs. I'm no designer, so I can't give specifics, but it all just felt wrong.

The gym was decent, but not great. It had 3 ellipticals, 4 treadmills, some dumbbells and a multi use pulley machine.

For $279 per night, it was way overpriced. If the rest of the hotel were remodeled like the lobby, they might have something, but as it is, I'll be staying anywhere else when I return to Minneapolis.

Room Tip: If you want a good room, go to another hotel. If you have to or really want to stay here, then do N...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
Allison S, General Manager at The Hotel Minneapolis, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, 8 August 2014
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback about your stay. I appreciate hearing your opinions on the design and style of the hotel and will share it with our team when we do a renovation in the future. Thank you again for sharing.
Duluth, Minnesota
Reviewed 6 August 2014

The room was ok, however, the toilet ran all night long and wouldn't shut off (Hotel was full or would have moved rooms). I was double charged for parking ($37!) AND the dirty dishes and leftover food boxes stinking up the hallway across from our room was there from the moment we checked in to the moment we checked out. NOT cool. Definitely not what was hyped to us as being "the best downtown Minneapolis stay".... a disappointment for the amount of money for sure. Won't be going back.

Room Tip: corner room selected...yeah, it overlooked the neighboring building and the utility area...no great...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Allison S, General Manager at The Hotel Minneapolis, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, 7 August 2014
Thank you for sharing about your recent experience at our hotel. I apologize that we did not meet your expectations on so many levels. I have followed up with my team to ensure all standards are being followed which will address the errors in billing as well as the dishes left in the hallway. While we do sometimes have issues with our plumbing, our staff are quick to remedy any issues that are brought to our attention. I understand the negative effect those items can have on a stay and I completely understand your frustration. I hope when you are back in the city you will give us a second chance to better serve you.
Euless, TX
Reviewed 6 August 2014

Stayed for an event in the convention center. Very nice fixtures and amenities. Bed was comfortable. Shower and bathroom were impressive.

Staff was very helpful with directions and helping out with finding a plug in for my phone.

Would choose to stay here for conventions even though it is farther away from the standard hotels closer the convention center. They have no style or personality that compares to the Hotel Minneapolis.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Altoona, Iowa
Reviewed 5 August 2014

This was a nice Hotel in the heart of downtown. I was in only one night but I had a great meal and service in the bar. The room was nice although the carpet is in need of replacement and the one end table had a broken leg.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled on business