“Nice and Hip Hotel”

Ranked #24 of 49 Hotels in Minneapolis
Madison, Wisconsin
“Nice and Hip Hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 November 2013

I had a room at the end of the 3rd floor and it was very quiet. Didn't hear much street noise or people above. The room was clean and bright with big windows and a view of the city skyline. The bed was very comfortable with cozy sheets and comforter. Fridge in the room and bottles of water were a bonus. I like going to local cafes for breakfast so didn't mind that there is no restaurant in the hotel. The refuel station was convenient. Liked the cool, boutique vibe of the hotel. I really liked the location being next to the park. The only quirk was that the sliding door to the toilet and shower did not shut all the way leaving a 1 inch gap - Awkward. The door really should close all the way. I would stay here again.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (117)
Minnesota
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 November 2013

My hubby and I stayed here as a really close place to the Guthrie...only 1/2 block! It reminded us of hotels we have stayed at in Norway...basic colors; grey, blue. The bathroom tile was dark grey and basic, not really pretty, but looked nice...glass shower door. (They should have extra TP in that area, not in the outer sink area).

The beds were very comfortable. I really like that they are doing what the better hotels are...having a feather comforter on the beds, that have sheet duvets so that you know they are washed every time. I can't stand thinking about the bedspreads having had other people sit and who knows what else they do on top of them, and how clean they are. With the washable duvet, you get a clean cover every time.

They had a nice TV, and the view was fun of the metrodome and downtown Mnpls. Everything seemed clean...I like the smell of the soaps they use, Bliss.

My husband thought the desk clerk was a little flippant in his attitude...the "new" attitude of younger people that are all trying too hard to be cool. My son and I thought he was just being friendly and doing his job. The bar/lobby area is sort of fun and neat looking...they even had a DJ that I thought picked great songs. The front desk was a round structure...so you could approach the clerk from all sides...it wasn't very attractive, though, and like the floors in the lobby was just some cement material that I thought was a little too cold looking.

For the price, it is a good deal and I would stay there again.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MariaMag
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 November 2013

Had all of the necessary amenities: bed, bathroom, TV, desk. Nothing was particularly special, but the bed was comfortable and the room was clean. The food at the bar was interesting and pretty good. The breakfast menu in the hotel lobby was not so good. I ordered an omelet and it came out to me in a plastic microwave dish. It tasted like airplane food did years ago. Restaurants in the area are nice, but there isn't a good breakfast place close by (within easy walking distance). I had to walk just under a mile to find one that had good reviews.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
Andrea N, Starwood Hotels & Resorts at aloft Minneapolis, responded to this review, 2 December 2013
We appreciate your comments thank you for sharing. We are happy to hear our amenities and chic accommodations fit your needs well. In the future our friendly front desk talent is always happy to assist in helping you choose the best nearby dining for any meal. We hope we have another opportunity to provide you with a memorable stay in the future. Thanks again and take care!
Marietta, Georgia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 October 2013

Service was pretty nice, overall. I was in town for an event at The Depot.

My room was on the 4th floor, and it was LOUD out on the street. I was awoken several times each of the 3 nights I was there. The bed wasn't comfortable at all.

The modern layout of the room was kinda cool, though.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Andrea N, Starwood Hotels & Resorts at aloft Minneapolis, responded to this review, 4 November 2013
Thank you for sharing your comments with us. It’s great to hear you enjoyed our modern and chic design and our associates were able to help make your stay memorable. We hope we have another opportunity to provide you with exceptional service the next time you are in Minneapolis. Take care!
Baltimore, Maryland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 October 2013

I stayed at W Hotel in Boston last year and found it quite comfortable, so I decided to try its less expensive cousin Aloft in Minneapolis. While the hotel rooms are quite comfortable and almost identical to the W Hotel in Boston, Aloft has fewer amenities. My main complaint is that while there is a bar serving a few bar treats, there is no restaurant for anyone who wants a real sit-down breakfast. You can get muffins, bagels, yogurt, fruit and wrapped egg meals in the lobby, but my latte (from a machine) was undrinkable. Nevertheless, there is a free hotel shuttle that will take you anywhere within a five mile radius of the hotel. This includes the University of Minnesota and most of the good downtown restaurants. Forewarned about the slim breakfast choices, I would still stay there again if I wanted an inexpensive but comfortable hotel room.

Twinsburg, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 October 2013

This was my fourth visit to this property and it is always delightful. This is a small hotel in the Guthrie Theater - Mill part of the city. The hotel is part of the Starwood and W chains. The decor is modernistic, but not obtrusive. It is great for someone that would like to feel 20 again, even if they are old an in no way can feel 20 again! And if you are 20, well you are in the right place. Registration is fast. The lobby is relaxing, very modern, and fun relax, socialize or work. There is music in the background but not so loud as to require anyone to talk above a normal tone of voice. There is a pool table if you are so inclined. There are couches, seating at a bar (that also serves as the restaurant, and another bar-type seating around the pool table. The bar has tiny rectangular LEDs built in that makes it a visually pleasant experience. I have eaten dinner and snacks at the bar (named WXYZ) and although the menu is not extensive, there are enough choices for the weary traveler. The food is very tasty and inexpensive for the quality and quantity. The bartenders have all been very friendly and helpful. There is a lot of attention to detail throughout the hotel, with fun surfaces throughout. The rooms are on the small size but I do not feel crowded. It is large enough for a couple. The bed is very comfortable and the linens are very nice. The work area has plenty of outlets. The desk chair is about the most comfortable one could sit in for hours. There is a large screen TV mounted on the wall facing the bed.... so if you are in bed it is right in front of you. The bath area well laid out.

I get a good feeling when I am here. Enough said.... keep up the great work.

Saint Paul, Minnesota
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 October 2013

The hotel concept of small efficient rooms was interesting and comfortable enough. The amenities are nice and the location near the Guthrie and the bike paths was terrific. The staff was very friendly. Parking could have been more convenient (public lot across the street, but considering this was downtown, not too bad. Free shuttle was a nice option, but busy when we wanted to use it to get around downtown.

Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple