“Nice place”
Review of aloft Minneapolis

aloft Minneapolis
Ranked #29 of 52 Hotels in Minneapolis
Reviewed 27 February 2014

My husband and I stayed here a couple years ago with another couple for a night out in MPLS.I loved the decor! Very modern and cool! Beds were pretty comfy. Not the best but not the worst. I would recommend it. It wasn't anything too special but it was a nice clean cool place to stay. I went to bed, but the rest of my group went down to the wxyz bar downstairs when we got back from our night on the town. They said it was ok. Too spendy for drinks. And there were some people that came in off the street that were bothering them and trying to get them to buy them drinks and give them cigarettes. That is when they decided to call it a night and go back up to the room. They said it wasn't cool. When you are trying to enjoy yourself, and then people come in and start begging to customers to give them and buy them stuff?! Not good. Overall it was an ok stay though.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank STEPHANIE S
Andrea N, Starwood Hotels & Resorts at aloft Minneapolis, responded to this reviewResponded 5 March 2014

Thank you for your review. We are happy to hear you enjoyed your recent stay with. We apologize for the inconvenience your friends experienced while trying to enjoy themselves at W XYZ Bar. We have notified our staff of this instance, asked that they be aware of this and address these issues immediately to remove patrons who are bothering other guests. I can assure you this type of occurrence will not happen in the future and we appreciate you bringing it to our attention. We hope to have the chance to welcome you back in the future the next time you are in downtown Minneapolis. Thanks again and take care!

Reviewed 29 January 2014

Though this wasn't my first stay at an aloft, the hotel surprised me in a variety of ways: It's a vibrant lobby and bar (complete with pool table) and made for a nice setting for socializing at the end of the business day, and the room itself was particularly well appointed and comfortable (great bed!). Overall, like other alofts, the hotel has a funky vibe (and not the usual food items at the breakfast and bodega set-up in the lobby), and is airy and visually eye-catching. Staff was fine, though check-in was exceedingly slow, and the location is terrific - close to downtown, close to University of Minnesota and within walking distance of several destinations. Also a very well equipped and space-filled workout area, accessible without walking directly through the lobby. All in all, a good value and a very hospitable stay that I'd certainly visit again.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
3  Thank Cowslower
Reviewed 26 January 2014

As you enter, there's a pool table to the right, a circular reception area to the left and refrigerator case with yogurt, sandwiches, drinks and snacks. Not your usual hotel, which I consider a virtue. It's informal, pared down to the basics without compromising quality. The location is excellent: easy access to the Interstate highways, half a block to the Guthrie Theater, the Minnesota Center for Book Arts Center. While you can get an adequate breakfast, some pre-made egg sandwiches, cereals, fruit etc. and they can cook up fresh eggs too. However, there are excellent restaurants across the street and the Spoon River Cafe near the Guthrie for other meals. The rooms have an unusual layout; the bathroom runs across the width of the room as does the parallel bedroom area. Happily the bed is not overloaded with unnecessary pile of pillows.
There's limited underground parking and another commercial parking lot nearby. The front desk clerks are friendly and helpful. I've stayed here three times, once while hosting a group of Russian visitors on a study tour. It's my place to go when in Minneapolis.

Room Tip: I think all the rooms are the same.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank TravelerBill34
Reviewed 24 January 2014

The hotel itself has an attractive modern decor that I found appealing. The staff were all extremely friendly and helpful. The bed was VERY comfy. My few issues were with the room itself. The shower or showerdoor were leaky and so the toilet area was quite wet after the shower was used. Also there were some issues with the light switches not working all the time. It was random, so not really sure what that was all about, and also the outlet by the sink didn't work as my curling iron plug just fell right out of it - had to plug in by the mirror in the bedroom. not the end of the world, but it was annoying. Overall it was a nice place, but I'd expect things to work a little better for $120 a night.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 9 January 2014

Where do I start...let's just start here...We chose this place because it was pet friendly with no deposit for pets and it was 2 blocks from the Dome (which was great since we were there for the last Viking game and there was going to be plenty of drinking going on) The place was very nice..the rooms where clean and beds where comfy...I loved the modern style bathroom...the pool was nice but I wish the hot tub wasn't broken...seems to have been this way for some time now cause I believe I saw another review that said it was broken when they went there...we also liked the underground parking ($15 per day) since it was FREEZING the 3 days we were there...the gym was nice and the bar section was nice...not to our taste..(was a little to fru fru for us) and I LOVED the moving liquid pads on the elevator floor( I want some myself now) but that's where it ends...now here's where the not so fun part starts....first off...the pricing for their snacks are WAY to expensive...the sandwiches are basically your average gas station sandwiches but at a price of $8..a bag of chips $3..a piece of fruit $2 and I got a bag of gummy bears, which were $3 but it looked like they took a handful of a 99 cent bag of gummies and put them in a sandwich bag and slapped their logo onto it...they had a ALL YOU CAN EAT tailgate special on Sunday that was supposed to be $9 but we were charged on our bill $10 and THEN an EXTRA $1 for who knows what..to top it off..it WASN'T all you can eat and we were told we could only have 1 burger and 1 brat!!..so we were charged a total of $11, NOT $9 and all for a frozen burger patty that was grilled up along with a bargain brand brat... got a long island tea (which was $8) at the bar along with a Cuban sandwich (I believe it was $12), which was not good AT ALL and asked them to take it off my bill...it wasn't taken off until 1 day later when I told the desk clerk about it but I was charged $10 for the drink...NOT the $8 I was told..to top it off...the Hotel charged my debit card TWICE in the amount of $173.50!!..the 1st time I saw this, I told the manager and he quickly took care of it...then 24 hrs later when it happened AGAIN, I told the manager but this time NOTHING could be done since it was the weekend...not to mention that because of this HUGE "glitch" in their system..i spent $5 while out and about which of course put my acct in the negative putting 2 $35 overdraft fees on my acct...the manager gave us back PART of the 173.50 on the 2nd time, since nothing could be done and we had to have money to get home. Was HIGHLY disappointed about this because a GREAT hotel would have AT LEAST offered to pick up the tab for our snacks and drinks ($35) since because of this "glitch" in their system totally ruined our vacation...how?...because our money was balanced out to certain amounts for food, gas and here and there spending, we could no longer do the things we planned to do or what we wanted because of their "glitch" (this is what they called it) because it took over $300 not to mention the 2 overdraft fees which would make it OVER $400 out of our debit card...we literally had to pinch pennies just to be safe that we didn't spend any extra money that WAS FOR shopping, food etc.. No shopping was done and food that was supposed to be at a nice sit down place, was changed to fast food instead... to top it off...we drove back to our home in South Dakota on pins and needles, wondering if this "glitch" was going to happen again and we would be left stranded..talk about a HUGE let down.. we were offered ABSOLUTELY NOTHING in compensation..no gift certificate..no discount...not even a stick of gum...just, here's what u owe us (this is why we got only a part of our $173.50 the 2nd time)...sorry and see you later...we will NEVER stay here again... I don't care if it's at the entry way of the Dome...I don't want this to happen again...the ONLY good part that came out of this trip, was on our last night there, we met 3 really cool couples at the pool table...where we laughed, played pool and drank long into the night and I LOVED the desk clerk Michael...SUPER nice guy..

Room Tip: The whole 2nd floor is dedicated for those who bring pets, so if you have allergens, you might want...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 27 December 2013

In Minneapolis for Christmas Eve and Christmas Day. The staff went out of their way to ensure we wanted for nothing!!! Exceptionally friendly check in! Their bar also served food which we were delighted to discover!! The rooms are a pleasant change from a typical hotel set up. We found our room to be peaceful and quiet which ensured our evening was restful! We will return!!!

Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Andrea N, Starwood Hotels & Resorts at aloft Minneapolis, responded to this reviewResponded 7 January 2014

Thank you for your kind review, we appreciate you sharing your comments with us. It is wonderful to hear our dedicated and friendly associated went out of their way to make your stay extra special and you enjoyed our modern design. We look forward to welcoming you back the next time you are in Minneapolis. Thanks again and take care!

Reviewed 17 December 2013

Only complaint I have is that the room was cold. The floor to ceiling windows did not keep out the very cold air, even with the blinds pulled. There are no chairs in the room, so to use my laptop, I had to use the desk. Ended up keeping the blinds pulled to keep out cold air, so I couldn't see the city. It was also noisy from the downtown noise.

I had prepaid for two nights but got called home for a family emergency. The Aloft was most understanding and made an exception for me and refunded the second night of the hotel stay. Thank you so much for doing that. The Aloft did not have to do that, but they did.

I was alone so the privacy issues others have written about was not a problem for me.

Room Tip: Get a high floor to stay away from street noise.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo