“A pleasant surprise with few issues”
Review of aloft Minneapolis

aloft Minneapolis
Ranked #30 of 52 Hotels in Minneapolis
Reviewed 31 May 2014

My reservation at Aloft Minneapolis was arranged for me by an organization, and it was my first exposure to Aloft.

Aloft Minneapolis gets my high marks for friendly, efficient service; cleanliness; quiet; design and thoughtfulness. Nice to have a gym available and generous lounge space. And free WiFi. There's no restaurant or cafe, but having that Re:Fuel area in the lobby, where you can pick up sandwiches, yogurt, croissants, beverages and the like, was a lifesaver for me. And the staff was very helpful. Just a few notes on the downside: If you like a large room, forget it, but it was adequate for my needs. If you need a large closet, don't laugh: The so-called "closet" is a shallow space with a maybe four-inch "rack" that slopes towards you from the back of the "closet" and has a few notches to accommodate and hold about four or five wooden hangers. It's a joke. If I had had to stay there any longer than three nights, I don't know where I would have been able to hang my clothes. I took a photo of this to share with my wife but, unfortunately, I've since deleted it.

Room Tip: Not sure about this. The room was arranged for me. All I can say is that this room was very quiet.

Reviewed 19 May 2014

This place has uncomfortable, small rooms. The noise level was awful. I could not sleep because I had a room above the lounge and they played club music until after midnight. When I complained the next day the ornery hipster staff could have cared less. I will never stay here again. Bad choice for a family. I would not bring kids to this hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on a higher floor otherwise you will have too much noise disrupting your sleep.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Andrea N, Starwood Hotels & Resorts at aloft Minneapolis, responded to this reviewResponded 5 June 2014

It is unfortunate to hear you had a poor experience during your recent stay with us. We apologize for the noise disturbance you experienced and have addressed this complaint with our W XYZ bar team members as we have a standard volume level that should always be upheld during the evening hours, which clearly was not followed the night you stayed with us. We have handed this situation and excessive noise that causes disturbances will not be encountered in the future. Thank you again for sharing your comments and have a nice day.

Reviewed 17 May 2014

Simple, well designed rooms, stand-up showers, and functional lobbies are why I normally go for Aloft properties. This hotel is the Aloft experience, for the most part. The only bizarre things are the location and parking in a garage across the street.

The hotel is in a weird part of town where there seems to be ample land and yet it's curiously jammed up against all these apartment complexes. The entire thing reeks of a deal crafted by city government to "revitalize" a part of town in lieu of a new stadium a few blocks away that is currently just a hole in the ground.

The hotel is set right against the street with no porte-cochere or obvious signage for where to go to unload a car. This was odd since most of the guests seemed to be business travelers in rental cars. Parking is available across the street in a ramp (what Minnesotans call a parking garage).

There are some good comfort food restaurants within walking distance to the hotel along with light rain transportations a few blocks away. The whole area has this feel of "trying to hard."

The rooms are normal aloft types. The main reason I love these hotels is the stand-up showers and well-lit vanity area. The also, cleverly, don't waist space on closets. The beds are comfortable and the wall-unit ac works well. The lack of true "black-out" curtains was a bummer here. My east facing room got the full force of a very early sunrise.
This hotel would be a winner if it had a better location and actual on-site parking.

Room Tip: Stay on the side facing Washington Street, lest you want to be awakened by a very early sunrise and...
2  Thank bearpster
Reviewed 17 May 2014

I loved staying at this hotel while I was in town for work. Very hip, very modern, with all of the amenities you could ask for from a Starwood hotel. Check-in is fast, and if you refuse maid service, they will either give you 250 Starwood points per night, or $5 to use in the market in the lobby. There is hot breakfast available, free coffee, and a bar in the lobby that offers a full menu. The rooms are very clean and modern, and the beds are super comfortable. I never wanted to get up for work in the morning! There are flat screen tv's in the room, as well as charging stations for electric cords, or USB cables. They also offer mini-fridge, coffee maker in room, and free bottled water. One of the best perks is that if you forget your toiletries, they have shampoo, conditioner, and body soap pumps installed in the shower. It is also very convenient to the Metro Lightrail, so you can easily go to the Mall of America or the airport without any hassle.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 3 May 2014

Pounding music in the lobby, free bananas, a pool table -- younger guests clearly felt comfortable and safe. We checked out a room: Queen bedrooms have no tubs, are small, decor is chrome, clean, shiny and hard-edge. The overall vibe is one step up from a high end hostel, and reminded me of my experiences in hostels long ago in Europe, which were positive. Neighborhood is close to the Guthrie and the Flour Mill museum but otherwise nowheresville. The right place for some, but not us (older couple here on business.) We could not have peacefully hung out anywhere here --not in the room, and definitely not in the lobby. We cancelled here and stayed instead at the Nicollet Island Inn, a historic building in the middle of the Mississippi river, comparable in price but more quiet and welcoming. Staff at Aloft was courteous.

1  Thank MillValleyTrueLotus
Reviewed 28 April 2014 via mobile

My boyfriend and I recently stayed at the aloft based off a recommendation of a friend. He was spot on to the uniqueness, hipster crowd it caters towards. We don't for in that particular 'crowd' but felt very welcome and at home.

The rooms are small, to the point. Very clean, comfortable with high end touches.

We visited the lobby bar for a bit during the evening and drinks were great, although arrived a hefty price.

Overall great hotel, only true negative was the limited parking.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Andrea N, Starwood Hotels & Resorts at aloft Minneapolis, responded to this reviewResponded 5 May 2014

Thank you for taking the time to share your review with us. We are delighted to hear our trendy, chic hotel made your feel relaxed and comfortable during your recent stay with us. We hope that we have the opportunity to provide you with another exceptional stay in the near future. Thank you again and safe travels.

Reviewed 26 April 2014

Only time will tell if the Aloft concept will endure or become a passing fad, but if my stay at Aloft Minneapolis is any indication, at least for the foreseeable future, a stay at one of these hotels will be a pleasant, enjoyable, and even fun (can you say that about a hotel?), experience. Compared to its peers, Aloft stands out and thus earns a 5 rating.

The Aloft experience begins even before you arrive with a reservation confirmation email that opens with, "Your reservation’s all set for [date] and you’re ready to a-go-go!" and includes this to whet your appetite: "Aloft Minneapolis is perfect for the traveler who appreciates personal style, innovative design and one-of-a-kind experiences. A new adventure awaits you!" Wow! It's not just a hotel stay, it's an "adventure." And five days before the start of your stay you receive another chipper email to kick your anticipation up another notch: "Are you ready to a-go-go? Your Aloft Hotels adventure is coming up, and we can't wait to amuse you with an amazing, one-of-a-kind experience. Soon you'll see for yourself why everyone's all abuzz about Aloft Minneapolis."

What I saw for myself when I arrived was a hotel that seemed to be designed primarily for the young urban crowd, but was also something that anybody who was open to new things would appreciate. There was a definite relaxed, hip, feel to the place, and even the elevator music had a strong beat to it. Check-in was wonderful, especially when the person checking me in acknowledged the trouble I had making the reservation after he read a note that was attached to my folio. Although the hotel's web site said that cribs were available, Central Reservations (the 800 number) didn't see that option in their system, and to make things more difficult, a crib was considered equivalent to a roll-away bed, which meant that a small child was considered by the system to be an older child or an adult. This then disqualified me, according to their system, from making a reservation for a King room, which had a max occupancy of two people, and required the Central Reservations clerk to put me into a room with two queen beds. I was advised to call the hotel directly and that the hotel could get me into a King room with a crib. Seeing that we had a small child, the clerk gave us an ideal quiet room: top floor at the end of the hall and facing the rear of the hotel (towards a nice park and away from a busy street). The concern, kindness, and thoughtfulness of the person checking me in caused me to forget my reservations run-around and left me in a positive mood, ready to, as Aloft puts it, to "a-go-go."

The room was Spartan and a bit on the small side, but it was very nice. The quality furniture was clean and in good repair and consisted of a platform bed with a very comfortable mattress, two small night stands, a built-in desk with a cool-looking chair on casters, and a built-in leather-topped bench that spanned the space between the two large picture windows. The windows coupled with the 9-foot ceilings gave the room a more open feel and also made it seem larger. The flat screen TV was on the wall above the bench--ideally mounted for viewing from the bed. A wall behind the bed separated the living area from the sink, tiny closet, and the bathroom, which had a sliding mirror-fronted door for privacy. The size of the room and its layout pretty much meant that any socializing would be done in the lobby area--and I think that this is an intentional part of the design.

The lobby is a part living room, part game room, and part bar, yet it seems to be a coherent whole. It's all designed for relaxed socializing, and that's what ties the pieces s nicely together. There is a full-size pool table in the game room section, the cozy bar is along one wall, and the rest of the lobby is filled with an assortment of furniture for sitting and table for holding drinks and food. A pretty barren multipurpose room is off to the side and can be used for private get-togethers and meetings, and when not in use guests are able to use the shuffleboard and other games (such as a bean bag toss). When the weather is nice, a courtyard between the lobby and the enclosed pool area has space and seating for mingling.

Eating options included a well-stocked "grab-and-go" food area that contains a good variety of drinks, snacks, and refrigerated items and, in lieu of a restaurant, a nice, but limited, breakfast menu (wraps, both pre-made, and made-to-order) and bar food menu (burgers, pizza, appetizers). The grab-and-go area is outfitted with a microwave oven is available for all to use as well as coffee and a cappuccino machine. We enjoyed wraps, pizza, and a hummus and cheese appetizer, and all of the food was fresh and tasty. The hot food was just the right temperature. If you will be eating in the lobby area, the staff will bring your food to you.

A big bonus is the free shuttle that will take you to and pick you up from anywhere within five miles of the hotel. Make sure to book your ride as far in advance as possible, for I found this to be a very popular perk.

The hotel is well-located, being near a big park, several restaurants, the Guthrie theater, and a light rail station. The University of Minnesota Minneapolis campus and the university's medical center are a mile away, and if you're going staying at Aloft due to a visit to the university or its medical center, ask to see if you qualify for the U of M rate, which is fantastic.

The only real drawback of this particular hotel is the lack of on-site parking. Aloft is an urban hotel, and that usually means little or no free parking. A public parking structure is right across the street, and the rates are reasonable, all things considered. The hotel has a few spaces near the entrance that are reserved for people checking in and out.

If you want to try something a little different when in Minneapolis, stay at Aloft.

Room Tip: Get a higher level room facing the park for better views and less noise. You'll have to be mo...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family