“Wonderful B & B”

Evelo's Bed and Breakfast
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Minneapolis
Evelo's Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #8 of 10 Minneapolis B&B and Inns
San Marcos Tx
“Wonderful B & B”
Reviewed 6 August 2012

We have stayed here before & loved it, so this was a return visit! The Evelos are such wonderful hosts. This place is very well located & in a great neighborhood of older homes. Walking & biking options are numerous. This B&B is in a great old house filled w/ gorgeous antiques w/ a focus on lamps. The place is very clean & cozy...our room was on the 3rd floor. The Evelos do a fantastic job with the breakfasts they serve, home baked breads, quiches,omelettes, fresh fruit...and they always including something Scandinvian as well ! Each morning David would check & see if anyone had questions, needed suggestions for activities etc...and they had a good recommended restaurant list for Minneapolis. Our only problem was our room could have used a little better a/c...We had 2 fans, but it still got pretty warm at night (mid July). This is not a problem in the winter mos....our last stay there was in Dec. This place is a winner!

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank MerMurray

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
New York City, New York
Reviewed 25 July 2012

Let me preface this by saying that David Evelo is among the most gracious and accommodating hosts I've had the pleasure of encountering. I didn't have occasion really to interact with his wife, but the brief moment I did so was pleasant and cheerful. I think she might take care of the emails and reservations, and David attends to the front of the house so to speak (breakfast, check-in, check-out and so forth). They have it down to a science and the breakfast is lovingly prepared with great care and varies every morning with a different Norweigian or other Scandinavian treat mixed in with the fruit, quiche, and other breads and pastries typically on offer. As sumptuous and generous as the spread was, however, I would have appreciated some kind of self-service cereal station. The house is like a Victorian museum decorated with what must be hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of Tiffany lamps and vintage grandfather clocks (make sure to take in the 18th century French number in the far right corner of the living room as you enter from the front door). That said, like any museum, there is a tendency to feel cautious and on guard when walking through the rooms so that you don't damage anything. The hosts never made me feel that this precaution was ever necessary, mind you, but I was never able to fully relax in the common areas. This is a personal thing, I guess, and one you might not feel at all. As anachronistic as it might be to put any modern electronic devices amidst all the 18th and 19th century furnishings, a computer station for guests' usage would have been welcome. They do have Wi-Fi, but for those who don't have a laptop or a smartphone, that doesn't help, and sometimes you just need to print out your boarding pass for the flight home. A TV in the common area or in the individual guest rooms would also have been appreciated. Part of the enjoyment of travel for me is to get some local color from the regional TV stations, and I kind of missed that here. They have a lovely back yard that can be viewed from the breakfast room, but unfortunately guests don't have access to it. At least it didn't seem that way. It would have been very nice to have enjoyed a glass of ice water or juice while sitting back there with a magazine on an early evening.

It is a wonderful place to stay, equi-distant to uptown and downtown and convenient to the 17 bus on 24th Street and Bryant or the 6 bus on 24th and Hennepin. There are also Nice Ride bike kiosks located near the house. These bike share/rental centers that are located throughout downtown Minneapolis are run by the City, but are not very tourist friendly; they are designed for local commuters. But that's a subject for another review and I encourage you to research the Nice Rides system before unlocking one. I found it to be very stressful and you would probably do better going to a bike rental shop to rent a bike for the day rather than conform to the 30 minute a pop Nice Ride schedule.

The only other aspect of the house I want to point out is the shower situation. They say it is based on the English B&B tradition, but I've stayed in B&B's in England and Ireland and I have always had a shower in my room. If the house is fully occupied, you could be sharing one shower with up to 5 or 6 other people. This is an arrangement I've encountered more at hostels than at B&B's. The shower is super clean and has great water pressure, but you may have to wait for it. I say this, not because I didn't enjoy my stay, I did, it's just that this kind of set up might not be for everyone and the purpose of this online community, it seems to me, is to present all aspects of the place so that you can make up your own mind. For $75 a night I would have liked a TV in my room and a place to check my email, and a shower on my floor. I was on the second floor and the shower is on the third floor; there are three bedrooms on the third floor that have more direct access to the shower. I would recommend that you request one of those. A couple of times during my stay, in preparation for my shower, I had gotten my towel, soap and shampoo all ready, went up the stairs to the third floor, only to find that someone else was using the shower. Back down to my room I went to wait until going back up the stairs to check on the shower's availability. If I had been on the third floor, this wouldn't have been such an issue.

Thank you to David and Sheryl(?) for a memorable stay, and also kudos to Margie and Pat the first-time "inn-sitters" for doing such a wonderful job of taking care of me for the three nights that the Evelo's were away for the weekend!! Both couples are warm and compassionate people and fully committed service professionals. You will be in excellent hands in their care. I wish you a pleasant stay in Minneapolis. If you are looking for a B&B experience in town, look no further than here.

Room Tip: Request a room on the third floor with closer proximity to the shower
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled solo
6 Thank flaneur40
Chevy Chase, Maryland
Reviewed 17 July 2012

I feel lucky to have stumbled on this little gem. My boyfriend and I stayed for 5 nights visiting family during a heat wave. The cool and comfy accommodations were just what we needed after long days out and about in the heat. The room was very clean as well as the shared bathroom, our towels were changed 3 times during the visit which was a nice surprise. Breakfast was even better, a nice assortment for many tastes and not too heavy. The surroundings were right up my alley as well, decorated in an art nouveau style there were lots of things to look at and admire. Sheryl and David were also very pleasant and were at the ready to offer any information we might need. Would stay there again in a second.

Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
Lincoln, Nebraska
Reviewed 29 May 2012

Would definitely stay here again. Loved the art glass and antiques on the first level. Comfortable and very clean room. Hosts were so nice! And the breakfast was amazing!!

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Kristin W
herkop7
Reviewed 24 April 2008

I stayed at Evelo's while in town for a conference. It was a very wonderful stay and, three years later, I still tell people about it. That was my first time in Minneapolis--it's such a great town (I'm from PA) and my stay here is one of the reasons why I had such a good time experience.

The breakfast was very tasty and very generous, enough to fill you past lunch. I was able to walk to the convention center, though the city bus comes by the street corner, just in case. Dave Evelo mapped out a walking path to the convention center for me that included a stop by a sculpture garden. And, fortunately, Minneapolis was having unseasonably warm weather that spring. :)

The room was comfortable. The neighborhood, safe and quiet. It was a very nice time and I would definitely go back and would highly recommend this B&B to others. A good price and a good value.

• Liked — Great food; nice, quiet location, helpful and friendly owners
  • Disliked — Nothing--it was a positive experience, all around.
  • Stayed April 2005, travelled on business