“My kind of motel”
Review of Snelling Motel

Snelling Motel
Ranked #38 of 50 Hotels in Minneapolis
Reviewed 22 November 2013

I'm not a fan of the motels where you haul your suitcases through the lobby, then a quarter mile down an interior hallway to your room. And you pay well over $100 a night for the privilege. I prefer the moderately priced motels where the doorway of your room opens onto the parking lot, and your car is just 10 feet away.

That's what I love about the Snelling Motel, 5346 Minnehaha Ave, Minneapolis, Minn. 55417, phone (612) 721-4841. You park right outside your room, and rates are reasonable. We paid a total of $160, tax included, for a recent two-night stay in a comfortable room with one queen-size bed.

I'm sure many of its customers stay at the Snelling because of its proximity to nearby Fort Snelling and a Veterans Administration hospital. But we like it because it's close to some relatives we visit regularly in south Minneapolis.

The Snelling (snellingmotel.8m.com), which appears to been built in the 1940s or so, is well-maintained and clean. There are 32 air-conditioned units, and each has an in-room refrigerator and microwave oven, phone, free Wi-Fi and cable TV. There are both smoking and non-smoking rooms.

The light rail system is very close and offers access to the airport, sports arenas and the Mall of America.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
6  Thank AngusVicker

Reviewed 28 July 2013

We stayed here for 2 nights while we lined up a job in Minneapolis. It's located right next to HWY 55 and one Block away from Blue Line (Metro Train ) Stop. The room was priced very reasonably and the room was nicer than we expected. There was nothing particularly magical about the place but everything was in order and I was given nothing to complain about. I recommend it.

Location is pretty easy to find, right off of HWY 55 and 54th Street East. Pretty close to Minnehaha Parks and Falls, MOA(Mall of America) and the MSP airport .

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
11  Thank cortezTX s
Reviewed 27 February 2013

This is a small Motel in MINNEAPOLIS, MN but it sure delivers a great value for the price. We use a coupon rate per night and it was just what I expected. No frills, but comfortable and clean. The rooms were spacious. The staff at the Motel were very friendly and helpful.

I would definitely choose this Motel again for an inexpensive stay in the Twin Cities metro area. This Motel is within about 3 mins of the Minneapolis airport, Mall of America,Downtown Minneapolis, etc. Very convenient location at a great price.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
8  Thank lion962
Dinup P, Owner at Snelling Motel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 September 2016

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking time to express your opinion. It is our pleasure that you have enjoyed your stay!
Thanks and looking forward to seeing you soon.

Reviewed 22 September 2012

Just got back after a 2 day stay. Very impressed with this motel. Great value. Very clean and quite. Beds were comfortable.Very friendly and helpful staff. Would definately stay again! Nice location close to MSP Airport and Downtown Minneapolis. If you are looking for a place to stay and don't need luxury this will do the trick. We stayed in a one King room. It has a fridge and a microwave which was a plus.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
12  Thank brandy B
Reviewed 10 September 2012

We have stayed at the Snelling motel several times.we always stayed multiple nights every times.we selected it each time because it is a reasonably priced metro area motel & it's only a one minutes walk from a stop on the light rail.fast food restaurant subway,pizza,burger king,mcdonald & gas station are just a mile away.we never been disappointed by the service or staff.would recommend this place to anyone!

• Stayed: September 2012
9  Thank Jorge120
Reviewed 7 September 2012

This was just a terrible place. I booked it because of the great location near the light rail stop. It was very hard to find, however. "Fortunately" the toilet exploded and I didn't have to stay. I found another place with a huge breakfast bar and pool for the same price. See my picture of the step up to the bathroom. I didn't catch the actual explosion, but I had a cascade of water down the step into the room that soaked the carpet. My sympathies to veterans who come there only because it is next to the Veteran's Hospital.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank Linda T
Reviewed 19 July 2012

The one gentleman stated it right "broken English". But it more than a simple communication issue; the new owners lack courtesy, professionalism and cleanliness.

I seen cockroaches in the lobby and in the bathroom.
Unfortunately it was too late to get another place for us.

Best Advice: Stay away from this one!

P.S. I cant help but see trpadvisor receiving a lot of comments from people who are 'stuffing' the first-hand experiences (ie. the owners of the hotel are writing glowing reviews).

Room Tip: Stay away; new owners could care less about you or your stay.