“Pretty bad and not really cheap” 1 of 5 bubbles

Aqua City Motel
Aqua City Motel
Ranked #42 of 49 Hotels in Minneapolis
Tierra del Fuego, Chile
“Pretty bad and not really cheap”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 July 2011

Well, if you do not mind the horrible smelling main rug in my motel room which needed tearing out and throwing away, the lack of about half the electrical outlets or lights working, lots of what appeared to be marginal and I mean very marginal characters..... living there, and broken appliances, and lack of much connection with a manager or staff this place may be for you. On the other hand a stinking filthy carpet and the puzzling bad odor of the water may get to you after a while.
No much attention to what counts here, service and public relations.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled on business

Couples
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Minneapolis, MN, USA
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2010

This is a fairly average place. The pool leaves much to be desired, so go to a public pool instead of using the one on the motel property. The rooms feature the old-fashioned normal lock, with no chain, which in a way is nice, but also inconvenient if you're looking for ventilation. The best thing the room had going for it was that it was actually very big with a large bed and came with both a mini fridge and a microwave. Aside from that, it looked pretty rundown. Clean, but on the seedy side. It's on a busline, but don't expect it to come that frequently.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled solo
      Location
      Sleep Quality
      Rooms
      Cleanliness
1 Thank Numikins
michigan
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 January 2008

This was, undoubtedly, the dirtiest hotel I have ever stayed in and I have stayed in dozens of cheap motels across the country. I had read other reviews about the filth and thought they must be exaggerating. I am a college student on a budget and just needed a room for the night after a concert so decided to take my chances as the price and location were great. I was pleasantly suprised when I pulled in and found a clean parking lot with lots of nicely planted flowers. I should of slept in the parking lot. The room was disgusting and I did not take my shoes off during the 14 hours I was there. The room faced west and with no AC was ungodly hot. The door lacked the universal chain lock so I couldn't crack it open for ventilation. When I tried to open the blinds to get to the windows the rotten cord disintegrated in my hands. Luckily someone had smashed a 4 inch by 4 inch hole in the window facing the alley so I got some air and felt oh so safe. Why didn't I just take a dip in the pool? The pool is tarped over and looks like it has been that way for years. Who wants to swim in August anyway? Back to the room. Electric and cable cords were tucked inside the electric heater, I'm not sure why they were out of the way because no one had vacuumed along the heater for at least a year. The ceiling lamp shade over the bed was broken in half, I don't know how it stayed up but I waited all night for it to fall on me and cut me in my sleep. The bathroom light fixture was so mold encrusted I wondered how it kept working. I didn't have to wonder long because the (only) bathroom light quit working about 3 hours after I had been there. At least the bathroom floor is clean now because the shower curtain was so moldy I wouldn't touch it so the floor got soaked by the shower. Did I mention the mysterious brown liquid that covered the wall next to the bed? I do have to admit that the sheets and towels were clean. When the phone in my room didn't work (you have to request it be turned on)the front staff was helpful in calling me a cab. However a man, with a jar of change and talking about God, and his junky girlfriend were in the lobby and the front staff had me tell them which room I was in then loudly told the cab company. Nothing like announcing to junkies that my room will be empty for at least the next hour and I wondered if my things would still be there when I got back. My things were still there and the hotel was quiet all night but I will not stay there again.

Stayed August 2007
5 Thank MInomad
A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 April 2006

I found the Aqua City Motel on Trip Advisor and called the hotel to get more information since there is not a lot listed on the site. After listening to a long drawn out answering service, I pressed 0 to speak with someone at the front desk. When my call was finally answered after 9 rings, the guy told me that he had no idea if they had a website or somewhere that I could find more information. He told me I would have to call back when the manager was on duty! He didn't even offer to take my name & number or to send me a brochure. I'll be taking my business elsewhere.

• Stayed April 2006
3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Minneapolis
University / Dinkytown
Ramada Plaza Minneapolis
Ramada Plaza Minneapolis
#19 of 49 in Minneapolis
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,120 reviews
Downtown
Kimpton Grand Hotel Minneapolis

Been to Aqua City Motel? Share your experiences!