“Nice but smelled of cigarette smoke”

Hilton Garden Inn Minneapolis Downtown
Ranked #6 of 50 Hotels in Minneapolis
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 25 October 2012

Stayed here for a conference with some friends and my boyfriend. Overall, the hotel is very nice and centrally located. Everything was in walking distance - restaurants, the conference center, shopping, etc. The beds were comfortable and it was clean. The only downside is that our nonsmoking room smelled of cigarette smoke, hence its low rating. I expected more from a Hilton Garden Inn as they are generally supposed to be very nice hotels.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business
2  Thank Kate G
Anthony L, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Minneapolis Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 31 October 2012

Kate G,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback about our hotel. We apologize for the inconvenient smell during your stay and we are sorry we were not able to provide you with the quality of services and amenities you deserve. I see that you stayed with us in November of 2011. I cannot speak specifically to what may have happened last year with your room smelling like smoke, but I can say that our current staff is properly trained on what to do if a prior guest smokes in a room so that it does not affect the next person staying in that room. I do hope that if you come to Minneapolis again you will give us another chance to impress you 100%.

Reviewed 25 October 2012

Overall the facility is nice. Parking is an issue, however. On site is valet only. Usually not a big deal, but the valets were understaffed and EXTREMELY slow. Not acceptable for a service that costs a premium.

Hilton Honors Gold members receive NO benefits at this property. No water, no points, no breakfast. In fact, I was made to feel like a cheep-skate just for asking for something I have never not received at an HGI.

If you are loyal to Hilton, the Downtown Hilton and the Hilton Marquette are MUCH better choices.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank William S
Anthony L, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Minneapolis Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 29 October 2012

Thank you for your feedback. We are aware that parking in the area can be a bit troublesome, which is why we strive to offer the lowest price for parking in our area. I apologize that you did not receive the HHonors perks you were expecting. All of our HHonors Gold members receive 2 bottles of water and their choice of Breakfast or bonus Hilton Honors points and you definitely would have earned your points for the stay. I will send you a message to get your stay information to ensure you are properly credited points. Your satisfaction is very important to us and we try hard to make sure all our guests have a rewarding experience at our hotel, and I apologize that this stay did not exceed your expectations.

Reviewed 16 October 2012

We picked this hotel due to its high user ratings and its close proximity to the convention center (we were in town to see a show). Everything was very clean and the bed was quite comfortable. I especially appreciated the clean duvet; it's nice not to have to strip off a questionable bedspread. The buffet breakfast was okay, nothing special; however I noticed it was identical to the one at the Garden Inn in Fargo, only $3 more per person (I'm assuming this is because it's in Minneapolis).

One complaint we did have was that there were no blackout drapes; or there were, but they were only decorative and about a foot and a half wide. No way to close out the light if you want to sleep in, or use your laptop at the desk! A fairly critical oversight, in our opinion. Aside from that, we had a very pleasant stay. The room was very quiet even though there had been some partying guests on our floor Saturday night.

Special thanks to the valets who were very nice in spite of the fact that I did not tip them the first time we dropped off and picked up the car (I didn’t know we should until I Googled it, oops)!

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Happy_Scrappy
Anthony L, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Minneapolis Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 19 October 2012

Happy Scrappy,

Thank you so much for posting about our hotel on Trip Advisor! We really do appreciate ALL of the feedback that we get to help improve ways of operating or to just continue to reinforce the way we are already doing things.

I am glad to hear that the hotel was clean and comfortable as that is such an important part of the guest experience in our eyes and that Valet did such a good job taking care of you.

I do apologize about your experience with the blackout drapes though. All of our rooms do have black out drapes that do close all the way, not just for looks. If you would be able to email me the room that you are in I would like to examine that specific room further and see if the rod was missing in that room which would prevent you from closing all the way.

Thanks again for choosing the Hilton Garden Inn Minneapolis Downtown and we certainly hope you will choose our hotel again in the future.

anthony.leitz2@hilton.com

Reviewed 10 October 2012

Very well maintained and nicely managed hotel. Some of the friendliest, attentive staff I've encountered in any hotel. The room was very nice with a lovely view of the church tower across the street. Cheap parking one block away in public garage.

• Stayed: October 2012

Stevegd,

Thank you very much for your positive response to our hotel on Trip Advisor! We love to see guest feedback on this platform to share with our staff and for other potential guests to see.

I am so glad to hear you had a very positive experience with our staff as we have built a culture at our hotel that we are very proud of and it is great to have that reinforced by our guests! (And, we also like our view of the beautiful historic church across the street)

Thank you again for choosing the Hilton Garden Inn for your travels and we certainly hope to see you again in the future.

Reviewed 1 October 2012

Hotel was very clean, staff amazing and food onsite was great. Very convenient to the Minneapolis Convention center less than a block away. I would recommend this to anyone who has an event at the Convention Center.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank LindaP12
Reviewed 17 September 2012

I booked this hotel about two months ago, based on the positive reviews here on Trip Advisor. The reviews don't lie. This is the place stay in Minneapolis, as long as you don't mind being 15-20 minutes away from the main festiveness in downtown (Nicolet Mall., Hennepin, Target Field, the light rail).

The rooms were clean and comfortable. Our room with two queen beds had a microwave and fridge, a desk area, a corner chair and a decently sized bathroom. I also prefer cooler temperatures, and was more then pleased that the AC allowed us to keep the room down to 64.

There is free coffee and lemonade in the lobby, I believe at all hours of the day. There is a mini shop by the lobby desk where you can buy small snacks and drinks. The restaurant/bar area looked nice. The breakfast buffet had enough options, and the food was OK (got it for free since I accidentally booked a hotel package that included parking my car -- which I didn't have with me). I probably wouldn't want to pay $12 for the buffet though.

I enjoyed the sitting area outside the front entrance (I included two photos). The hotel is on a highway, but the surrounding roads are not that busy, so there isn't any noise to contend with. Free WiFi in the room was a huge plus.

The entire hotel is in pristine shape. The staff was friendly and helpful. I hope to stay here again.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 17 September 2012

Located in no man's land, no place to go out for breakfast you have to eat in. No food between 1 and 5. Very spare. Paid $120/night in a sold out week.

For a new hotel, the bathroom was already shot. The tub didn't drain and when I manually pulled up the stopper, it broke. No soap IN the shower. You have to remember it before you step in. Make-up ighting was poor.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank TravelswithmyTeen
Anthony L, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Minneapolis Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 20 September 2012

We sincerely appreciate your feedback and I am very sorry you were unhappy with our guest rooms. We surely missed the mark this time. I’ve asked our maintenance team to look into our plumbing operations and address the clogged drain issue. Also in regards to the restaurant we will be expanding our menu in the coming weeks and are very excited for the new options that we will have to offer. We hope you will consider staying with us in the future.

Hilton Garden Inn Minneapolis Downtown