Holiday Inn Express Minneapolis Downtown (Convention Center)
Ranked #35 of 49 Hotels in Minneapolis
Brooklyn, New York
“Great stay!”
Reviewed 16 January 2014

I stayed here (11/1/13-11/9/13) while I was attending a residency. This was one of the cheapest hotels I found that was fit and available for my stay. Hotels in downtown Minneapolis are very expensive! We had a standard room and it was very cozy. Although I did find the room to be a bit too small. The room was always clean and we always had enough toiletries, towels, and other necessary amenities. I have to say that the bed was small for two people sharing one, I expected a King size bed but ended up with a bed that looked like a twin. I enjoyed the free wifi and complimentary breakfast. The breakfast was very good and their was a variety of things to eat. The hotel was quiet and at some points a little noisy. I think this was due to people celebrating for a big football came during the time I was traveling. The people at the front desk were very nice and accommodating. I needed to use the microwave on several occasions pretty late at night and they were kind enough to let me use it. I had the opportunity to try out the pool and jacuzzi one night. The pool could be warmer, and the jacuzzi was perfect. Overall, I had a great stay and would definitely come here again.

Room Tip: Get a bigger room. Standard rooms are pretty small. Get a room with a sitting area.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank GSimnica
Natasha F, Public Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Minneapolis Downtown (Convention Center), responded to this review, 31 January 2014
Thank you for this detailed review of our property! We are happy to hear that there were many pleasant aspects to your stay. We apologize that you experienced some inconveniences. Our smallest room type contains one full size (or "double") bed, and this may be the room that you stayed in. Our property does offer a variety of larger standard rooms and suites containing queen and king size beds. We encourage you to inquire about these the next time you book with us. We hope to have you back soon!

Downtown Minneapolis Convention Center

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
Thunder Bay, Canada
Reviewed 13 January 2014

We stayed at this property for the first time in 2013. It was close to the venue we needed to attend for business purposes. We were pleased to find out that our room rate was exceptional, the breakfast provided was more then adequate for our purposes. The staff was helpful through our first booking glitch (not the hotel's fault - our booking agent messed up!) and remedied quickly. The basic room was clean (even the corners of the room!) and we had a quiet night's sleep. The bed was comfortable, pillows too! Not too warm, not too cold and the bathroom was spotless. Close to our fav restaurants like an Irish pub and Hell's Kitchen. Now in 2014 we have booked there again. This time for pleasure/business combo and found that Chris who booked our room was friendly but more importantly professional, clear and concise about what room and discounts we were getting, answering our questions before we even asked them! This was despite a very bad cell phone connection. Good job!

Room Tip: We've only stayed once and the room was quiet, hotel proximity to restaurants good to excellent...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank ScenicCruisers
Thank you for leaving us a nice review after staying with us a couple of times! We are so glad that you had overall positive experiences during both visits. We hope to have you back downtown with us for more stays as well!

Aberdeen, South Dakota
Reviewed 12 January 2014

I have stayed here many times. It is good location. The staff has always been very friendly and helpful. The rooms have always been clean and pleasant. The rooms are average size. There is nothing great about them, but nothing bad either.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank fun1972
Natasha F, Public Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Minneapolis Downtown (Convention Center), responded to this review, 17 January 2014
Thank you for your review! It is always nice to hear from a repeat guest. It is great that you have always found the staff and rooms to be pleasant. We hope that you will continue to stay with us!

Toledo
Reviewed 3 January 2014

We stayed here over a weekend to attend a sporting event in December.

Negatives:

After driving 10 hours straight, I was disappointed that I was woken by other noisy guest in the hallways during the early hours of the morning (2-4am).

I found an old diaper under the bed, obviously missed by housekeeping.

Parking is $15 per night, but if you stay downtown, you are probably paying to park no matter where you are at. There were other parking options, but we were going to have to pay every time we wanted to take our car out to go somewhere.

The pool area was closed because they were sanitizing it (which is good I suppose!). The maintenance worker said it would be ready to go in 1-2 hours. We came back 4 hours later & it was still closed.

My dad asked about nearby restaurants, and the desk worker at the time was no help. Later when we went to check out, he noticed there were some brochures that had exactly what we were looking for on them. Not sure why the staff member from earlier did not hand us one?

Positives:

When we found the dirty diaper, they did comp us a night of parking, with many apologies.

Housekeeping did an excellent job with our room (of course minus the diaper incident)

Overall comfort & good temperature control

Good free breakfast, my father has stayed at multiple "express" type hotels, and he commented multiple times that they had one of the best free breakfasts he has seen

Staff was friendly and helpful for the most part, and had no problem helping us to cancel our previously booked third night. (We changed our travel plans, leaving early had nothing to do with the hotel)

We probably would not stay here again, but mainly just because we decided it wasn't necessary for us to be that close to downtown. If I needed the location, I may look into other options, but wouldn't count this place out.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Katie D
Thank you for taking the time to leave a thorough review of your stay with us. We apologize that you experienced some unexpected difficulties. It is nice to know that some of them were quickly remedied by our staff. We are sorry to hear that you missed the restaurant list we have sitting on our front desk and are disappointed that our staff did not point it out to you. We have created a page long listing of nearby restaurants categorized by price of entrée, distance from our front door, and type of cuisine. If you stay with us again definitely get ahold of one of these!

Baxter, Minnesota
Reviewed 31 December 2013

The front desk staff was wonderful! Jesse was there for most of our stay. When we went to bed he was there and when we went to breakfast he was there. WOW I'm not sure he sleeps. The room was nice. We got the king suite, for a family of 4. Our daughter slept on the pull out couch and we brought a blow up bed for our son. The reason for our trip was to meet up with friends staying downtown. They joined us at our hotel, the kids swam, and we had pizza by the pool. Pool and hot tub were great for the kids. We would stay there again.

Room Tip: I'm not sure, we were only in one room.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank Jessica H
Thank you for reviewing your stay with us! We are so glad to hear that you had a nice time. Jesse is just one of our very hard working employees and we are happy that you got along nicely with him! We hope that the next time you are back in town your family will stay with us again.

Rochester
Reviewed 2 November 2013

Downtown Minneapolis has many hotels, and I'm sure that several are superb. However I will probably never stay at any of them because I've been so satisfied with this Holiday Inn Express. I booked two nights there as part of a flight/hotel package deal on Travelocity for my first visit to the Twin Cities in November, 2011 (note: dress warmly, for Minnesota is not a balmy state in the winter). I was so pleased with the accommodations that I looked nowhere else for my next trip the following year. Because I used public transportation, I didn't have to deal with parking my car, so I can't comment on what is available. But the hotel is about a five minute walk from the Light Rail station, and all of the bus lines converge in the area, so you won't have far to walk.
To say that the room was clean and comfortable is an understatement. I nearly disappeared in the mattress and pillows, and my room was spotless. Each morning, I enjoyed a complementary hot/cold breakfast, and at the end of my trip, sincerely was disappointed that I had to check out. All I can tell the management is that they can expect me to return, and hopefully the readers of this review will try it out as well.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank Jason W
Natasha F, Public Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Minneapolis Downtown (Convention Center), responded to this review, 6 November 2013
Thank you for leaving us a 5 star review! We are so pleased that you had such a great stay with us here in Downtown Minneapolis. We are happy to hear that our location suited all of your needs. We hope you will join us again soon!

Mumbai (Bombay), India
Reviewed 28 October 2013

great hotel. perfect location. close to down town and was worth the money. didn't enjoy the high parking charges though. rooms are basic and worth if u want a place to crash for a few days on business. breakfast was ok not so great

Room Tip: any room is a good room i guess
Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank wiredin247
Natasha F, Public Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Minneapolis Downtown (Convention Center), responded to this review, 1 November 2013
Thank you for your comments! We are pleased that you had a generally nice stay at our property. Unfortunately, parking fees do accompany properties such as ours that are located so conveniently to all that downtown Minneapolis has to offer. Our rates are very typical for our surrounding area, but we do apologize that this came as an unpleasant surprise to you. We agree that our express location is a great, easy option for business travelers, and we hope to have you back soon!