“clean and comfy, decent location”

Holiday Inn Express Minneapolis Downtown (Convention Center)
Ranked #32 of 50 Hotels in Minneapolis
Reviewed 10 September 2010

We stayed in a "suite" with a pullout couch, plus mini-fridge and microwave. The room was very comfy and clean. Pretty quiet too. Didn't hear much hall noise, but could hear some street noise. It didn't stop us from sleeping, though.
The staff was very helpful, with restaurant recommendations, directions, etc.
The breakfast selection was good.
There's a small pool area with hot tub, which was nice.
The location is kinda on the edge of downtown, but only 3 blocks from Nicollet Mall, and 6 blocks from a light rail station.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank JenGoesOnTrips

Reviewed 29 August 2010

I purchased tickets for the Wicked musical and wanted to stay downtown so we would be within walking distance of the Orpheum Theatre about 6 blocks away. I booked a one bedroom suite with livingroom, small kitchenette for 131.00 taxes, parking and complimentary breakfast included. The hotel and rooms were beautifully decorated, clean and very comfortable. Nicolette Street(mall/restaurants/bars), LRT(train) and Target Field are all within walking distance of the hotel. We were absoulutely amazed to find a hotel for this price that was so conveniently located. We would definately stay here again.

Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 23 August 2010

August 21st, 2010. My wife and I had reservations at this motel for our 1st Anniversary. We checked in about 7:00pm. I work in the pest control industry in a different state so the first thing we did was checked for bed bugs. I found a few spots on the back of the head board, 6-7 blood spots on the bottom of the box springs, and a body casing of an instar that had went threw the molting process. We immediately went to the front desk to be moved to a different room. This was room 308 on the 3rd floor.

The front desk man was very apologetic, and said they had never dealt with this before. I found out later that they had dealt with it and the room has been previously infested and treated. Theses signs could have been from the pervious infestation in 2008. What I found next was not from the past.

I told him I was a licensed pest inspector in the state of Iowa. I wasn't trying to get something free I just wanted to be moved to another room in the motel that was bed bug free. He moved us to another room with a king bed on the second floor. I asked to inspect the room prior to moving our belongings into another room. He had no issue with that and gave me the keys(room 212). No evidence was found on the head board this time, but as soon as we turned over the sheets on the box springs a live bed bug was walking across the top of the box springs. I collected the bug in a cup in the room and got out right away. We went back to the front desk, and asked for a refund right away.

The man working the front desk was helpful, but could not make that decision. He called a manager and was able to get it done. The main issue I had was he asked me, "so you can see the bed bugs. I didn't think you could." All hotel staff should be properly educated with these pests. I would recommend you check your sheets long and hard before you stay here! Finding evidence and live bugs on different floors and four rooms down the hall normally is not coincidence.

We got moved to another motel, but had to pay an extra $45.00 to get a similar room. I would have figured the motel would step up and cover it, but the manager said he has had his pest company come out and there is nothing there. He said with me being in the industry how is he to know I didn't just collect a bug at work and bring it in.

If he wants to deny what a licensed person says that's fine. $45.00 is not a big deal. I just know that when the next person stays in that room and takes them home, it can cost them more than $1,200 for one treatment on their home. Not to figure in the stress it can put on you thinking your being bit all the time and constantly checking your sheets. Lawsuits in similar cases throughout the nation have cost upwards of $100,000 per night. I was trying to give them a heads up, and get paid for the difference in motel cost. The next person that doesn't check won't be so fair.

Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
7  Thank Remaxesw
koenig1998, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Minneapolis Downtown (Convention Center), responded to this reviewResponded 25 August 2010

The August 23, 2010 posting about the Holiday Inn Express titled “Bed bugs. Check your bed before you stay” unfairly suggests our hotel has current and widespread problems with bedbugs. That is not true. This hotel has not had a verifiable case of bedbugs in one of our rooms since 2008. In fact, there was a pest control convention in Minneapolis in March 2010. This hotel was fully occupied by pest control workers. Not one claim of bedbug activity was reported during that convention!

It is correct that we had a room where bedbugs were detected in 2008. The room was promptly treated with heat. Heat is the most effective way of treating and eradicating bedbugs. It is environmentally friendly and kills the pest. It also allows the preservation of furniture and personal property, like a mattress and headboard, where the bedbugs’ prior presence might be detectable to a trained eye. Unfortunately, even when bedbugs are eradicated, it is possible to see evidence that they were there.

Bedbugs have become a problem for everyone in the hospitality industry. With the growth of international travel, and use of more environmentally friendly extermination products, bedbug problems are occurring in hotels, theatres, businesses, and apartment buildings.

Our management and housekeeping staff is prepared to proactively inspect rooms after each guest stay to check for bedbugs. We have a local pest control company, with the most current equipment and technology available, to respond to any problem when and if it is discovered.

The guests that stayed in this hotel on August 21, 2010, did make a report of bedbug activity in his initial room. At the guest’s request, he was moved to a second room. The guest reported finding a live bedbug in this room and requested a refund. The guest subsequently wanted to have us pay for the cost of his room at another different location or the difference between our price and the higher price he paid at a different hotel.

Immediately after the report of seeing a live bedbug we contacted our professional exterminator. A professional inspected both rooms on August 23 and again on August 25 and found no evidence of any prior or current activity in either room.

When I spoke to the guest he was most concerned about getting payment for his room or the additional cost he paid at the second hotel. The guest stated he traveled here on a set budget and wanted to be reimbursed. The guest was also concerned that our front desk staff did not appear to be knowledgeable about bedbugs.

I tried to give the customer the best service possible. I explained that hotel management and housekeeping staff were well trained in the detection in bedbug activity. The front desk staff is not, because they are not the individuals who are in guest rooms daily. I told him that our professional exterimators could find no confirmation of activity. The guest was not pleased with my decision to not pay him. Although customer service is always important to us, we feel we have the right to investigate any claim before we pay for a guest’s stay or costs at another location.

Regrettably, bedbugs will be a continuing challenge for travelers and the hotel industry. We have been, and will be, committed to doing everything we can to have professionals on-staff, and available to us, to detect and treat any problem when it arises. But the suggestion that we have had any unresolved, or ongoing, problem at this hotel is not accurate.

Reviewed 26 July 2010

The hotel was ok, good breakfast, but the mattresses need to be updated, they sagged pretty badly, giving us a sore back (but nice linens). Also, we were in room 424 and it apparently is next to the "Guest Laundry" room, so every morning we were awakened by mysterious slamming noises, shaking and rattling of the wall and headboard! Every morning the housekeeping staff loads up their carts and the revolving door slams hard everytime they go in and out for about 45 minutes. Definately not a good thing if you aren't an early riser. So make sure your room is NOT next to the "Guest Laundry". Otherwise it's a clean, affordable and descent hotel with polite helpful staff and good hot breakfast.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank gypsiegal
Reviewed 10 July 2010

We stayed here for one night, and attended a baseball game at Target Field.
Checkin was quick and efficient. We were ugraded to a suite because we're Priority Club members.
The room was great - quite large. Very clean and quiet
The pool looked good, though we didn't use it.
Breakfast was typical Holiday Inn Express - well stocked.
The location is great if you're going to Target Field - about a 10 blobk walk on streets with lots of people, so we felt very safe.
The rate was really good.
There is a parking lot attached to the hotel - because we were early we were able to pakr there. If it is full, you have to park accross the street in a public lot - not ideal, but it seems like a safe area.
All in all a great stay.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 June 2010

We were a couple attending a convention and this was the hotel they assigned us to. Despite the "no frills" reputation, we found this to be an excellent all-around choice: clean, comfy kingsize bed, great service, good breakfast, wi-fi works. Two minor gripes: the temp control of the AC was touchy and the lighting in the bathtub/shower/toilet part of the bathroom was dim. Otherwise, this is a remarkable little hotel and a great value. The staff -- everyone on the staff -- are especially helpful and polite.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank MtDiablo
Reviewed 11 June 2010

Not sure if Tom-NY and I stayed in the same hotel or not! I had absolutely NO problem with the staff. They were friendly, helpful, gave great recommendations on restaurants. We were there on business. It is literally two blocks away from the convention center. The heart of downtown Minneapolis is only a few blocks away. It is easy to walk just about anywhere you need to go. Catching a taxi on the corner is easy as well. Parking is conveniently located beside the hotel at $12/day. Breakfast is simple, but has a variety and is good. Will stay here again if in the area.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled on business