All reviewsmississippi riverst anthonyfireside roomlobster weekhorse drawnhistoric hotelsleep number bedanniversary nightdaughter's weddingfollowing morningroom pricecorner roomtwin citiessmall hotelwonderful weekendguthrie theatremodern amenities
Reviewed 26 May 2014

I was excited to try the Nicollet as an alternative to the chain hotels in Minneapolis. Without any clear five-star option in the city, a boutique inn seemed a nice change of pace. Quaint location, high-end restaurant, it appeared to be my kind of place. Unfortunately, my expectations were not met.

I booked into a corner room with a soaking tub. When I arrived, I found that the soaking tub was little more than a shower/tub combo suitable for a child to soak in. Additionally, the room was particularly dark and dreary, with a completely unfunctional seating area consisting of a loveseat and end chair with no coffee table or place to enjoy a coffee, write, work, or simply relax. The bed was uncomfortable and creaked, and the linens were stained. Overall, being generous, a three-star hotel room with awful lighting and a terrible layout.

The restaurant, unfortunately, was not much better. Understaffed though not busy, the staff were more concerned with talking amongst themselves than providing some semblance of attentive service. I frequently heard staff members gossiping about others (a massive service industry no-no) and using foul language in the process. Hardly the atmosphere I envisioned when I booked the hotel.

I will say, though, good to very good food and good values in the restaurant for the quality. Simply no atmosphere.

I checked out after one night, very disappointed with the room and the restaurant. For the rate, $229, I could have stayed at the W, Ivy, Chambers, and so on. The Nicollet Island Inn makes no attempt whatsoever to be competitive in any way with these legitimate four-star properties. Despite being an inn, it offers little in the way of personal touches or intimacy to justify such a rate. I would not return and cannot recommend that others should book the property.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
7  Thank NA1090
Reviewed 19 May 2014

My wife and I stayed May 16-18 on the Island Package Getaway, and it was incredible. The room was beautiful, and the staff was excellent. The staff and waiters at the restaurant remembered us and where we liked to sit, the food was superb, and the location was great - easy to get to the Guthrie, the Stone Arch Bridge, and the Hitching Post Company stops right outside. Special shout-outs go to Eric and Joe who really went out of the way to interact with us and make our stay special.

Room Tip: Go for the King Size beds if you can.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank baronforo
Reviewed 18 May 2014

By far the best thing about this inn is its location. How often can you stay on an island in a city, in a historic inn that is walking distance to so many things? The staff was great -- the late nighters who brought us champagne glasses to the early morning folks who provided coffee in the lobby. The comfort of the "sitting room" and the beautiful dining room facing the river -- loved it all. In addition, the food was delicious. We had a family dinner there with our elderly father who has trouble hearing, but it was a quiet, mostly empty room (early dinner) and just perfect. The only downside is that the rooms could use a little attention. The first room we were in had a smell of mildew, but the second room was fine. However, some of the furniture and window sills could use a bit of refinishing. Still, the ambiance trumped everything.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank CharlesStFan
Reviewed 10 May 2014

We selected the Nicollet island inn for a special weekend getaway. The setting on a small island in the Mississippi River is very picturesque, and within easy walking distance from he Heritage Trail, which goes along the river and provides good views of the falls. It's also close to the Guthrie Theater. The hotel was nicely decorated, the staff was friendly, and the room was relatively large and comfortable. We really liked their history, having originally been a factory. My only suggestion for improvement would have been nicer sheets and softer pillows. All in all, we really liked our stay at this historical inn and would stay there again.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 May 2014

We were in Minneapolis in April and stayed at the Nicollet Island Inn for a family wedding. The place is located about fifteen minutes from the airport and within walking distance of many attractions. We were so impressed with the charm and European flavor of the inn. The staff were extremely friendly and helpful. It is a small place with less then 25 rooms situated on an island on the Mississippi River. The views are spectacular, especially at night. The room maintained its "old world " charm and was very comfortable. We had a delicious breakfast at the Wilde Roast. We would definitely stay there again ! Our room faced the park and river and was a short walk to the Nicollet Island Pavilion where the wedding took place.

Room Tip: Book early to get the room you want as it is a very small place!
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family