“Incredible architecture and preservation of the castle. ”

American Swedish Institute
Ranked #9 of 208 things to do in Minneapolis
More attraction details
Owner description: Founded in 1929 by Swan J. Turnblad, this castle serves as a combination historic house/museum that features exhibits and programs of the Swedish culture.
Southlake, Texas
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 35 helpful votes
“Incredible architecture and preservation of the castle. ”
Reviewed 18 May 2014 via mobile

Enjoyed this far more than I expected. The Mansion is so well preserved. Like being in a time warp to the late 1800's.

Boston, Massachusetts
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 26 helpful votes
“Delicious museum - and cafe!”
Reviewed 18 May 2014

We ate first, which was a good move since the cafe was full for the rest of the Tuesday afternoon we were there. The juxtaposition of new and old works for me in this historic setting with new wing, and I'm happy to see it thriving.

Visited May 2014
Mt Prospect
36 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 60 helpful votes
“Museum Exhibit Mansion all in one location”
Reviewed 13 May 2014

Minneapolis has many interesting tourist attractions and I have seen many over the years but until an unusual exhibit was featured I neglected to see this site and in my opinion that would have been a great loss. The exhibit on psaligraphy (I love learning new words) will only be at the institute until the end of May. It is the most incredible paper cutting I have ever seen. Some paper is the size of a table cloth and depicts an entire story. The artist began cutting snowflakes as a child and the hobby and passion grew into this amazing art. The mansion is a self tour and all I can say is that my kids got very tired of hearing me say "wow" at every turn and in every room. There is a cafe in the institute which was nearly empty when we entered and overflowing when we ended our tour so I think we will make time to try it next visit to Minneapolis.

Visited May 2014
San Antonio
40 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 55 helpful votes
“Very interesting”
Reviewed 22 April 2014

Lovely lunch in their retraurant. Home is interesting to visit - Friendly and helpful staff. Parking is convenient.

Visited April 2014
Richmond, Virginia, United States
18 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 28 helpful votes
“The castle museum with its new new wing bridges 3 centuries!”
Reviewed 13 April 2014 via mobile

This inviting vital spacious museum is fresh and vital with lots of natural light outdoor spaces and a fine, informal restaurant with great thematic menu. Excellent Nordic influenced baked goods. Look for exhibitions by Scandinavian artists, special events, and uniquely designed items in the delightful gift shop.

Visited April 2014