“A gem in downtown Minneapolis”

Kimpton Grand Hotel Minneapolis
Ranked #2 of 50 Hotels in Minneapolis
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 3 October 2013

We booked our first two nights of a two week trip at this lovely hotel at a great rate, then joined the Kimpton rewards program. First they upgraded us to a larger room, then we enjoyed a glass of wine in the lobby and headed out to dinner. There are lots of restaurant choices within walking distance and we were given very good directions.

The room was quite spacious, with a very comfortable bed. Everything was spotlessly clean and the room was very quiet. We will definitely stay there again when we return to Minneapolis.

Room Tip: We were on the fourth floor and it was very quiet. We had a view of an office building, but that was...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Hayden L, General Manager at Kimpton Grand Hotel Minneapolis, responded to this reviewResponded 9 October 2013

Dear LittleSpeckledTrout: I'm thrilled that you enjoyed your time with us! Thanks for joining the Kimpton In Touch loyalty program. If you haven't yet, be sure to indicate your preferences in your profile. It will help us to personalize your future stays at all Kimpton hotels. I'm glad that you were able to enjoy the Minneapolis restaurant scene! We have some amazing restaurants within walking distance. I know how important a good night's sleep is when you're traveling, so it's wonderful that the room was quiet and the bed was comfy! A quiet hotel room and comfy bed can be hard to find. Thanks so much for this fantastic review!

Reviewed 29 September 2013

This hotel is amazing! Absolutely perfect for anyone looking to stay at a location that is in the heart of downtown! The rooms were clean, spacious and very well decorated. The beds were very comfortable. The staff has excellent customer service!! (Kudos to the management team for training and maintaining a top of the line staff). We were in town for a girls bachelorette weekend and we couldn't have asked for a better experience!! I HIGHLY Recommend this hotel!!

• Stayed: September 2013

Dear Jacklyn A: Thank YOU for this absolutely wonderful review! You covered it all. I appreciate the mention of our prime location, clean, comfy, spacious and stylish rooms, and of course the fantastic staff representing the hotel! We are so fortunate to have an ownership group that enables us to keep the hotel in top notch shape and embraces the Kimpton culture of hiring the most genuine people! I'm so glad that the bachelorette weekend was a success. Congrats to the wedding couple! I trust we'll see you next time you need a place to stay in Minnie!

Reviewed 29 September 2013

What a stay, this property and it staff is second to none! I was traveling with my daughter who was competing at the University of Minnesota and I was blown away by the staff knowing the days she competed and more importantly having their whole team make and sign a good luck postee which was delivered to our room the day of her competition. It is the small stuff that makes a big difference and the staff could not have been nicer. Additionally the property and rooms are great! I will definitely be going back and would recommend this as a great location!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Hayden L, General Manager at Kimpton Grand Hotel Minneapolis, responded to this reviewResponded 1 October 2013

Dear Tim B: This is so cool! I can't thank you enough for sharing this. We empower our team to make these kind of connections with our guests and they always jump at the opportunity to do so. The more we know about why you're here, the better! It helps us to personalize your stay. I've shared your review with the staff and several of them have commented about how much they enjoyed meeting you and rooting for your daughter! So neat! We look forward to your return!

Reviewed 22 September 2013

Uniquely styled hotel in beautiful clean Minneapolis. Great location. Rooms were clean and had slightly masculine and eclectic flavor. Staff was friendly and there was a great mix of people staying here. Bed was very comfortable. Had a lovely facial at the spa. There is a bar off the lobby and a restaurant on site upstairs, neither of which I had a chance to try. Luxurious touches throughout. Will stay again. Love the uniqueness and helpful staff.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Hayden L, General Manager at Kimpton Grand Hotel Minneapolis, responded to this reviewResponded 25 September 2013

Dear Monarch8: I love that you appreciate our unique style! The design team hired to do our renovation did a fantastic job preserving the historic feel of the old Minneapolis Athletic Club while adding some colorful Kimpton style. I'm glad you got a good nights sleep in our comfy bed! You definitely need to check out our lounge, The Six15 Room next time you're here. You'll be greeted by our friendly bartenders eager to mix a craft cocktail! They are truly delicious. Thanks so much for this lovely review!

Reviewed 21 September 2013

This Kimpton property is exactly what you expect, stylish interiors, large, well-appointed rooms, and fun perks. Because I'm a member of their loyalty program, they gave me a $5 upgrade; the room was huge--I think the bathroom was larger than my (admittedly small) kitchen, there were three tv's including one in the bathroom (although that one didn't work). Unfortunately, the service was not up to par for Kimpton. I was pleased that they made sure my room was available early since I had a sort of strange travel schedule, but they were not very helpful otherwise. I was in town for a particular function, but asked about ways to occupy my time beforehand, and they really were not able to offer any suggestions; when I asked about a a good place to get coffee, I was directed to the nearest Caribou Coffee; when I asked for the best way to get to my function, I was handed a map; when I asked how much before my flight I should plan to arrive at the airport, the receptionist told me she hadn't flown recently. The worst part was I had asked about getting a taxi very early in the morning and was told that they could call me one; then, in the morning it ended up being a car service, which I didn't realize was going to cost me an extra $10. Apparently you have to specify if you want a cab and not a town car. They did make it right though; I called after returning home to let the manager know that I thought the staff should have been more communicative about the price difference, and he took $10 off my bill.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
Hayden L, General Manager at Kimpton Grand Hotel Minneapolis, responded to this reviewResponded 23 September 2013

Dear asmartgirl: I'm glad you enjoyed the spaciousness of the room and bathroom. Our rooms are unusually large, especially for a downtown hotel. It's great that we were able to get you checked-in early, but regret that we didn't have better suggestions as to what you could do with your free time. I will certainly follow-up. Our bellmen tend to recommend town cars over cabs because the town car drivers allow us to book transportation at a specific time, the service is far better and they are more reliable. However, it's all about a guests preference, so if you asked for a cab, we should have gotten you a cab. I'm relieved that we compensated you for the difference. Thanks for letting us know about this. I appreciate the feedback!

Reviewed 17 September 2013

From the moment we checked in we were so delighted. The desk staff were friendly, efficient and polite. We got to our room and couldn't believe our eyes. A spacious room, beautifully decorated with a wonderful king bed and still plenty of room. Lighted closet complete with robes, socks, ironing board, iron and even a YOGA MAT. The bathroom with dual sinks had a deep tub (with TV niche) plus a huge shower stall and a separate toilet enclosure. The bathroom was nearly as big as the room itself.
The room was immaculately clean with plenty of towels and in-place toiletries in the shower and at the sink. We would not hesitate to come back! It is just 3 blocks walk from the convenient light rail from the airport (a bargain at $1.75 for regular passengers). Easy walk to the vibrant Hennepin Theater area, many fine restaurants and 2 blocks to the Nicolette Mall for shopping - Saks and Macy's along with other quality retailers. We didn't have time to check out the spa but we passed many relaxed patrons in the hall and in the elevator.

Room Tip: We thought the Atrium King was fabulous.
1  Thank Operagal94553

Dear Operagal 94553: I'm thrilled that you loved the staff, your room and our convenient location! Thank you for taking the time to tell everyone about your pleasant experience. Our rooms and bathrooms are hands down some of the best I've encountered. When we renovated, the designers did a fantastic job preserving the history of the building while adding some fun Kimpton flair. Aren't those yoga mats so cool? You can actually call the front desk for yoga roll out service and we offer a yoga channel to guide you through your workout. I'm glad you found our location convenient to the light rail, shopping and restaurants. It's so nice to be connected to the city skyway in the winter when walking outside is sometimes unbearable. We can't wait for you to return!

Reviewed 17 September 2013

We stayed at the Grand Hotel last weekend and had the usual fantastic Kimpton experience. We always seek our their hotels because they are a great value for a great experience. Our room was large, comfortable with a great bed and even a view of downtown. The bathroom was spotless as was the sleeping area. I particularly noticed that the sheets were so comfortable and inviting. We love the wine hour in the evening .and the free coffee in the morning. All in all, a great place to stay and so well located for shopping.

Room Tip: Upgrade for the extra $10- it is worth it.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Hayden L, General Manager at Kimpton Grand Hotel Minneapolis, responded to this reviewResponded 19 September 2013

Dear cleats 126: There is a smile on my face too because reading your review was such a pleasure! Thank you for being a loyal fan of Kimpton! I'm so glad that you enjoyed the spacious and comfy room. The luxurious sheets are brand new and everyone seems to love them. Thanks for joining us a wine hour. We have so much fun pouring wine each evening and chatting with our guests! I hope you enjoyed our lounge, The Six15 Room too. If you want something other than wine, our creative bartenders are so talented at making the most delicious craft cocktails. I hope you'll have a reason to visit Minneapolis again and return to The Grand. Thanks so much for this fantastic review!