“Large, comfortable rooms. 5 star service”

Kimpton Grand Hotel Minneapolis
Ranked #2 of 52 Hotels in Minneapolis
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 3 December 2013 via mobile

I had finally bought a ticket to Minneapolis to see the Vikings. It only took me 19 years. I decided to stay somewhere classy and after doing some study I settled with the Grand Hotel. This hotel has class. The foyer on level 1 is open and inviting. The staff on front desk are professional and always willing to assist with any question.

Located in the foyer area is the Six15 Room. A relaxing little bar perfect for knock off drinks or a few drinks for late arrivals. Also around behind the bar (quite hidden) are some very comfy sofas and tables with big screen TVs, perfect for food and drinks.

I stayed on level 12 in a twin queen room, and after coming from San Diego it felt like royalty in the room. Plenty of room to walk around in, plenty of solid dark timber drawers to put all your clothing in ( still smell new). Full length mirrors to check your apparel. The bathroom is large, clean and classy. Beds were comfy.

On level 3 they have a full gymnasium. Not a small gym, but a big open gym. Plenty of gear in here to leave you feeling pumped.

For getting around we used the light rail line which is a quick few minutes walk to the hotel. Takes you from Nicollet Mall, the Metrodome through to the airport and Mall of America. All for a few bucks. In saying this we easily walked to the football at the Metrodome from the hotel.

The experience I had will leave me with an impression of Minneapolis as being a very friendly, romantic city to visit. Highly Recommended!

Stayed: December 2013
1  Thank AussieStork
Hayden L, General Manager at Kimpton Grand Hotel Minneapolis, responded to this reviewResponded 6 December 2013

Dear AussieStork,
Thank you for your amazing review of our hotel! I am so glad to hear that you enjoyed yourself and hopefully got to see a Vikings victory! Thank you for pointing out how large and well appointed our guest rooms are. We truly do offer some of the largest, cleanest and coolest rooms in the city! I am also glad to hear of the positive, friendly impression that Minneapolis left on you. We really are one of the hidden gem cities in the US. Only a couple more years until that new state of the art Vikings stadium opens. Sounds like you are going to have to come back and stay with us again.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,116)

Reviewed 3 December 2013

This place was great for us! We went to Minneapolis for our wedding. The staff was great! We were given a room upgrade, and a surprise bottle of champagne! Bartenders Eddie and Sean were friendly and helpful. The front desk staff were also very friendly and accommodating. The place is dog friendly, but upscale. This was our first 'Kimpton' experience, and we are looking forward to further stays with this company.

1  Thank Luci643

Dear Luci643,
Congratulations on your wedding!! Thank you for choosing to spend such a special occasion with us here at the Grand! I am so happy to hear that our team was able to help you celebrate your wedding with a complimentary upgrade and some champagne. We love helping our guests create special memories and I hope we were able to accomplish that during your stay. Thank you also for your kind words about our bartenders Eddie and Sean. We think that they are awesome too! I’m glad your first Kimpton experience was so memorable and we look forward to welcoming you back for many more!

Reviewed 30 November 2013

My husband and I needed a quick weekend getaway before our boys' basketball season began, so chose downtown Mpls. as our destination. The Grand Hotel was our choice of hotel, because it is so close to so many restaurants and fun shops. I made our reservation just the weekend before our stay, and was overjoyed to hear there was a special going on at the time of our visit (discount of 30%) so was able to book an even nicer room than I probably would have. I believe we had a Premier King room. Staff was so friendly and always making sure that we had everything we needed to make our stay comfortable. The hotel has valet parking if you need it....kind of a steep price tag of I believe it was $32 per night. We opted to park across the street in a ramp, for $20. This worked for us as once checked in, we knew we could walk to the shops and restaurant we had chosen for dinner that evening, so we did not need in/out privileges. The lobby of the Grand Hotel is very impressive.....simply gorgeous! Our room was on the 14th floor....which we needed to use our room key card to go up to that floor in the elevator. It was nice to know that for security purposes, ONLY those people that should actually be up on that floor were able to get up there. Nice! Our room was plenty spacious, nicely decorated and very clean. The bed was mucho comfy, the robes are a nice touch, and the bathroom was a "vacation within itself"! The toilet is in a little room of its own, separate shower stall, nice big tub with a built in TV, and a counter that was extremely spacious for all the stuff you seem to haul along. There was a free wine reception from 5-6 in the hotel lobby/bar area. Before dinner, my husband took a little snooze in the comfy leather chair with ottoman in the room, and I let him nap.....heck, we were on a mini vacation so he should be able to have a cat nap, right?! Later, as we were getting ready to go out for dinner, he realized he had forgotten his toothbrush, so called to guest services to see if they had one, and to also ask for some ice to chill our wine we had brought. Within a few minutes, someone was up to our room with both in hand, and asking if we needed anything else. As we left for dinner, we asked the doorman (who graciously opened the door each and every time we came or left) where exactly the restaurant we were going to was, and he immediately gave us great direction. It was only a few blocks away, and we passed others on our way that we'd also like to try someday, so this hotel is located in a great spot! After a very comfortable night's sleep in our bed, we got ready and headed down to the lobby/living room area for coffee. (No coffee pots in the rooms.) On Sundays it is served until 10. The coffee is great; my only complaint of the entire stay may have been that someone came and cleaned it up and took the whole coffee bar deal down about 9:50. :( We finished our first cup of coffee and went up and around the corner to refill, and it was already being hauled away......... Oh well, we stopped and purchased some on our way home elsewhere. All in all, it was a wonderful weekend, and a wonderful stay at the Grand Hotel. We will definitely go back when we need a little "refueling" again!

Room Tip: Higher floors have better views........our odd numbered room was great!
1  Thank kkdoodlebug

Dear kkdoodlebug,
Thank you so much for your fabulous review of our hotel! I am so happy to hear that you and your husband were able to enjoy a fun mini-vacation before your busy basketball season starts. Thank you for taking the time to point out the luxurious details of your bathroom. We believe that our bathrooms are the cleanest and most spacious in town! We can't wait to welcome you back the next time you are ready for a little "refueling" or even just a quick cat nap in our comfy leather chairs.

Reviewed 23 November 2013

My fiancé and I planned a romantic overnight stay at The Grand. It was my birthday and we were looking forward to having a relaxing evening and based on the reviews here, we felt like there was no way we wouldn't enjoy our time spent at this hotel.

However, from the very beginning, there were issues. First, they informed us that we would be on the 14th floor. We had specifically asked to be a lower floor. We both have health conditions and we prefer lower floors due to that. We didn't let that upset us though, and were still very excited to head up our room.

The room was not what you'd expect from a hotel that calls itself grand. It was tiny with four very large windows (almost ceiling to floor). We were told the room had a beautiful view, but it was all office buildings and not very impressive.

The decor really left something to be desired. The wallpaper was dizzying and very 1970's, the drapes were gaudy, there was a huge heavy mirror that looked like it was wedged into the room and seemed totally out of place. It was all very dark, drab and dated and was not a very romantic backdrop to our evening.

On the plus side, the bathroom was very nice. However, the tub was on the small side so don't expect to take a bath with your significant other comfortably. There was a TV in the bathroom which we thought would be pretty luxurious, however this is a TV from the 1990's and funny enough, when they painted the room, they didn't bother covering the speaker hole and so there is white paint all over the bottom half of the TV (actually in the exact shape of the speaker hole, as you can imagine!)

It's those types of things, plus just the general size and furnishings of the room, that made our stay less than desirable. We only stayed one night because we live in the area and it was just supposed to be a romantic getaway for us, but we found ourselves wanting to go home, because quite frankly, our apartment is more inviting and our bed is more comfortable.

My fiancé ordered room service - a salmon dish. It was tiny and somehow $40? The menu said it was $20 something but be sure to bring your glasses and read the fine print, because there is 19% "service charge" per order. The salmon was tiny and drenched in ginger and to put it politely, it tasted terrible. The rice and brussel sprouts would have been filling had my fiancé been a small child. He went hungry the rest of the night because he didn't feel like ordering something else due to the price and the quality.

I'm pretty sure other guests felt the same way because trays of food lined the hallway and the hallways, by the way, are so thin, these trays are easy to trip over and I couldn't help but notice that many people left portions of their food on their plates, which is another indicator that we were not only people who didn't enjoy our dinners.

The lobby is decorated nicely and gave us a few good photo opportunities and we did briefly see the gym which was pretty impressive.

We had planned on having a few spa treatments in our room and had mentioned this 2 weeks prior while booking our stay which they said would be no problem and the spa never did get back to us (they repeatedly said they'd call us back to schedule a specific time but did not) - perhaps that was the first sign that we should've stayed elsewhere.

We're giving this a "poor" rating instead of "terrible" because in general, the room was clean and the lobby was attractive. Also, the staff was kind enough to sign a birthday card and accommodate us with gluten-free cookies upon arrival. Unfortunately those small tokens of thoughtfulness do not equate to their ridiculous prices. Lastly, before I end this, you should know that we were charged a lot more than we were initially told it would cost and we are actually going to be calling about that tonight or tomorrow to see what the problem is.

Would not recommend.

2  Thank SamanthaLee23
Hayden L, General Manager at Kimpton Grand Hotel Minneapolis, responded to this reviewResponded 27 November 2013

Dear SamanthaLee23: I really appreciate your willingness to correspond with me over email. Thank you. Again, I'm very sorry that The Grand wasn't the best fit for your preferences.

Reviewed 23 November 2013

Great place to stay in downtown Mpls. within walking distance of Nicollet Mall where all the fun shops and restaurants are located. We had a very roomy king size room with a huge bathroom. Very friendly staff and wait staff. We were very fortunate to take advantage of a special that included valet parking. Would definitely stay at the Grand Hotel again,

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Hayden L, General Manager at Kimpton Grand Hotel Minneapolis, responded to this reviewResponded 29 November 2013

Dear dragonfly0509: Thank you for the fantastic review! I appreciate your mention of our convenient location. We are connected to the skyway, so you can get just about anywhere in the downtown area without having to deal with the frigid winter temperatures. Thank you for taking advantage of our parking package. It's well worth it if you are driving in and can be booked on our website. Thanks for taking the time to write about us and we look forward to your return!

Reviewed 20 November 2013

The service was great. I booked our stay to celebrate my husbands 50th birthday. When I called to confirm my booking I mentioned I wanted a city view and that we were celebrating my husbands birthday. When we checked in the gal behind the desk remembered me calling and had made notes. I was very pleased with our room. The room was clean and a nice size. The bathroom was huge and wonderful! Soaking tub, toilet was in its own room, shower stall all marble tile. As far as the city view, I believe Christie did a great job honoring my request considering how all the buildings around this hotel were so much taller. When we returned from dinner we found a tray had been delivered to the room with some goodies, wonderful sparkling water and a birthday card for my husband! We loved the wonderful bathrobes that were in the room. The decor was a mix of warm traditional and contemporary blend. My only disappointment is we did not stay for two nights. We hope to go back!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
1  Thank Michelle A

Dear Michelle A: Thank you so much for this gleaming review! I love that Christie remembered you at check-in from your prior call. Her attention to detail and desire to create memorable experiences for our guests is so impressive. She is an asset to our team and I assure you she's been rewarded. Thank you for mentioning our well appointed rooms and luxurious bathrooms. The design team outdid themselves when we completely renovated the hotel! Please keep us in mind for future special occasion celebrations. Thanks again!

Reviewed 19 November 2013

I love Kimpton properties, and this is another great Kimpton hotel. I was upgraded to a king suite by virtue of being a Kimpton In-touch member, and the suite was huge. I had no views becuase the room was on the seventh floor and faced a building, but the two separate rooms and the bathroom were just enormous! The (two) t.v.'s had HBO, Showtime, and AMC on the cable.

I have to tip my hat to the exercise facility in this hotel: the third floor of the hotel's building is a private health club and the basement level has a pool. I stayed there on a Sunday, so there were no after-work athletes using the exercise area, and it was nearly empty. It is a fantastic facility with 20 or 30 treadmills, numerous stationary bikes, nordictrack rowing machines, huge assortment of free weights and weight machines, very large pilates/yoga area, squash court, indoor track on the mezzanine above the exercise area, and a small basketball court. There is also a large indoor pool on the basement level. I didn't use the pool. In short, this is an amazing facility, and unlike anything I've ever experienced within the same building as a hotel. As blown away as I was by the health club, I was somewhat underwhelmed by the in-house restaurant. It was sufficient, but not up to the high standards that Kimpton properties usually attain. Overall, I would highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank DavidBradley

Dear DavidBradley: It's wonderful that we were able to upgrade you to a suite! I'm thrilled you enjoyed it! Your description of Lifetime Fitness is perfect. I couldn't have explained it better. It is definitely impressive and we are so fortunate that they allow our guests complimentary access. It is actually the elite club in the Minneapolis area. In regards to the restaurant, Kimpton actually doesn't own or operate it. Lifetime Fitness does. We are one of very few Kimpton Hotels that doesn't operate our own restaurant. I've shared your comments with the general manager of the restaurant. Thanks so much for this fantastic review and your loyalty to Kimpton!