“Another great stay at the Grand”

Kimpton Grand Hotel Minneapolis
Ranked #4 of 49 Hotels in Minneapolis
GreenLeadersSilver level
New York City, New York
“Another great stay at the Grand”
Reviewed 24 March 2014

I have stayed at the Grand now probably 4-5 times, the last two since converting to a Kimpton. By joining the chain this hotel has definitely become my go to when staying in Minneapolis. You can not beat the evening wine hour (which I only had the opportunity to partake in once during my 4 night stay) in addition to the perks received for being an InTouch member. Check in and check out were speedy, the room was nicely decorated and comfortable, if a bit dark...but then again, I was in town on business and really was only in the room to sleep. Another definite plus is the fact that guests have access to the Lifetime Athletic Club, and although you run into the same morning rush hour you would at any gym, you have a lot more alternatives than you would at a typical hotel gym.

The location is convenient to local restaurants, you can access the skyway and it's only a couple of blocks from the tram to/from the airport.

I recommend to anyone staying in the downtown Minneapolis area.

1 Thank MichelleN0023
Hayden L, General Manager at Kimpton Grand Hotel Minneapolis, responded to this review, 21 April 2014
Dear MichelleN0023,

I appreciate your loyalty to Kimpton and The Grand! I love that the perks we offer keep you coming back! Thank you for the mention of the Kimpton InTouch loyalty program. We are in the process of enhancing our loyalty program and will roll it out this summer/early fall. We are super excited and can't wait to share with our fans! I'm glad you have time to take advantage of Lifetime Fitness. It's such an impressive health club and we are so fortunate that they allow our guests full access. Thanks for writing about us. I'd love to meet you next time you're here!

Hayden Lingerfelt

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (218)
  • Turkish first
Chicago
Reviewed 22 March 2014 via mobile

We are loyal Kimpton fans. Have stayed at several of their properties. This one has some pluses and some minuses, but in the end, I'd be inclined to stay elsewhere in the Twin Cities. Location? Good. Shopping, dining, Target Center all within walking distance. Not too far off 94 either. We chose to park across the street. When we entered the hotel, a pleasant gentleman opened the incredibly heavy front doors for us. Thank you. Whoa! We are coming in with bags. Any offer to help tote them in? Nope. Check in takes place in the middle of the lobby more or less. Strange setup but the clerk was helpful and efficient. Our requested upgrade for the better bathroom in our suite is honored. The suite was on the 15th floor. We'll sort of. It's actually on the 15&1/2 floor. If you've got bags and no help with them, you'll have to schlep them up a few stairs. Top floor. Great view of the city, right? Not from our room. In fairness perhaps there are rooms elsewhere that DO offer a view other than into other rooms' windows 20' away. Inside, the suite is quite spacious. Separate living area with a nice pullout sleeper. Flat screen tv. WHOA! It won't turn on with remote or from tv itself. Yes. It's plugged in. A call to front desk and within two minutes a gentleman was here to repair it. WHOA! The phone! For the rest of our stay, we could only use the speaker phone portion on either base. The handsets would no longer connect after the first call for maintenance. Back to the room. Bedding is nice. Decor typical quirky Kimpton stuff. Clean. Well-kept. Upgraded bathroom. One sink. Separated toilet behind frosted glass door. Ample shower space. Dreadful water pressure. Very nice CO Bigelow toiletries. Jetted tub. WHOA! Nope. Yes--there is a tub. But unlike in many other Kimpton suites we've enjoyed you'll have to make your own bubbles. In-room dining. 24/7. WHOA! We called for to order breakfast at 9:45. No answer. 9:47. No answer. 9:49. Forwarded to guest services. " Room service must have stepped away-- I'll tell them to call you." 9:53 I call again. They answer. I place the order for three entrees. Very pleasant gentleman takes the order. 15-20 minutes later knock knock. Pretty quick! Good job! WHOA! Delivery came with TWO sets of utensils.
Look-- none of these "whoas" in and of themselves is a deal breaker. But at $350 per, I expect more.

Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank ChiWeather
Hayden L, General Manager at Kimpton Grand Hotel Minneapolis, responded to this review, 1 April 2014
Dear ChiWeather,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. I appreciate your loyalty to Kimpton Hotels. I regret that we failed to wow you. Please contact me at the hotel so that we can chat about your experience. We'd love an opportunity to redeem ourselves! The direct number to the hotel is 612-288-8888.

Reviewed 21 March 2014

We stayed two night during the weekend for our first anniversary. Wonderful stay from check-in to check out. We were upgraded to a nicer room, a lovely corner room that was quiet and had a wonderful view of the skyline and foshay bldg. The room was well appointed and clean - loved the TV by the tub! We were also treated by the hotel to a bottle of champagne and chocolate covered strawberries and a card congradulating us - which was a lovely touch we were not expecting. The staff at the front desk was great with questions, check in and out and also great service at the bar, very attentive and fast service. The valet service... was just ok (a bit disorganized) but we got it included in our room package so it was worth it. Overall though, a great stay and hotel we will return to and would reccommend.

Room Tip: I was at first cautious about the hotel because of some of the reviews regarding the condition of th...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear avaluau13,

Thanks so much for this gleaming review! Happy belated anniversary! I'm so glad that we surprised you with an upgrade to a premier corner room and some celebratory treats. Thank you for the wonderful comments about our helpful staff and well appointed rooms! I also really appreciate you mentioning that the room was well maintained. While the building is 100 years old, we did a complete renovation a few years ago and work very hard to keep it in top notch shape. Thank you for being our guest and I hope we'll see you on your 2nd anniversary!

Reviewed 18 March 2014

Loved this hotel! Staff was knowledgable and friendly. Good location downtown. I was in a king suite which was beautifully decorated and very comfortable with the one exception noted below. My colleagues enjoyed the wine hour every night and I had one of the best massages of my life (and I've had a lot) with Erin at LifeSpa. The only negatives were the Libby was cold and the couch in the suite was chic but uncomfortable. The breakfast buffet was reasonably priced but just average. The car service was very handy, especially during bad driving conditions.

Green Features: Love the fact that Kimpton hotels have recycling containers in every room! They make it easy to be green.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Hayden L, General Manager at Kimpton Grand Hotel Minneapolis, responded to this review, 20 March 2014
Dear Susan T,

I have to admit that your headline, "Wouldn't Stay Anywhere Else!”, really grabbed my attention. I love that enthusiasm, and for the most part I share it...but I worry that if you really didn't stay anywhere else, you might miss out on all the other great Kimpton Hotels! All kidding aside, thanks so much for taking the time to write those kind words. It was our pleasure to serve as your host, and we wish you the best.

Sioux Falls, South Dakota, United States
Reviewed 18 March 2014

We stayed two nights. We had a king premier room with a separate bathtub. Overall the TV & bathtub are not as great as every one makes it sound. The shower & toilet door have a big gap so it is not as private as we thought. We had a room on the 14th floor. We asked for a room with a view and I felt like this was the best room you could get unless you were on the 15th floor. We felt like the walls were paper thin and could hear everything from the bathroom and the hallway. The room overall was spacious and had a lot of room. The front desk and guest services we called a lot some of them were nice while others we felt were annoyed by our questions and made me not want to call and ask a question. If you want breakfast order from the Keys they deliver for free and the food is good. We didn't use the gym or go to the wine hour since we don't like wine. Most places with a free wine hour offer other options this one does not. I would recommend becoming an in touch member. I wish the hotel would have told me up front that they put a $75 hold a night on the hotel room. This came as a surprise as we checked in. I heard about the $5 a night if you refuse housekeeping service from online. I turned down the maid when she came to the room. I called guest services and told them that I turned down the maid and she told me that I did not get a $5 credit because I need to set a sign on the door. I did not know this and did not have anything in the room to set on the door. So all weekend we had no new towels or cups because I turned down the service and couldn't find the maid again. Overall the hotel is nice and I would stay again. I feel that they need to tell people more of the fine print.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Kala17,

Thank you so much for staying with us and for taking the time out to write this review. It sounds as if your stay with us was generally great, but that there were a few things that didn't quite meet your expectations. I sincerely hope that you give us another try and that you can get to know us a little better next time around. We're even willing to find you a suitable replacement for wine hour wine and to make up the Choose to Conserve credit. Just mention this review and ask for myself or the Manager on Duty when you arrive and we'll get it set up for you...the right way!

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 14 March 2014

I was very much looking forward to staying here with my daughter. I had made a reservation for 4 nights through Expedia. My confirmation email said the hotel's rule was that changes or cancellations less than 24 hours in advance would incur a charge of one night's rate. Several days before that, I tried to change the reservation to take off the last night's stay. The hotel informed me personally, and Expedia when I tried to go through them, that the only way they would do this was to charge me more for the three nights than I would have paid for the original four. I consider their stated policy to be misleading.

Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Elizabeth C
Dear Elizabeth C,

I'm so terribly sorry that you didn't actually get to stay with us, as I'm sure you would have greatly enjoyed it. Unfortunately, as with other hotels, airlines, etc our rates can vary quite a bit based on patterns of stay. Additionally, you may find that booking directly through hotel or airline websites etc., will grant you greater flexibility to make changes than you will usually have booking via On-Iine Travel Agencies such as Expedia, and at the same rates. I certainly hope that, should you ever have the opportunity to return to the Twin Cities, you'll give our hotel a try, and I encourage you to contact me directly if you wish to book that future stay.

Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed 12 March 2014

My husband and I had a flawless stay at the Grand Hotel for not quite a week in March of 2014. We had a junior suite on the 10th floor and it felt like we were the only ones in the hotel because everything was so nice and quiet. The only noises we ever noticed were the occasional ambulance roaring on the street below, but in a city, you expect to hear that now and then. Even so, it was muted enough to not be a nuisance.

The room itself was spotless and the bed was incredibly comfortable. The room was also well-equipped for the work we both had to do while in Minneapolis. My husband set up easily at the desk and I took over the coffee table by the sofa. As InTouch members, we had free internet access, which is awesome. The internet was reliable--not supernatural lightning speeds, but workable for work and surfing the net. I guess the only thing I would change regarding the business aspects of the room would be to have an outlet nearer to the sofa so I could plug in my laptop, but it really wasn't a big deal. If my cord had been longer, I could have run it from the many outlets available at the desk. Also, when we were out of the room, there was a large safe in a cabinet that easily held my 15-inch laptop and two iPads, with plenty of space for other equipment.

My husband enjoyed having access to the Lifetime Fitness on the third floor of the hotel. He got his workout in everyday we were there. And we both loved having skyway access directly from the hotel. We could access all of downtown without ever having to go out in the cold, except when we went to dinner outside of downtown.

Every staff member we encountered was friendly and helpful. The valet made us feel like regulars as he helped us into our car, and the man who brought room service every morning was professional and patient with my morning brain. On the occasion that we did not have the room cleaned, we ran out of bottled water at the mini bar. The front desk was kind enough to send us two bottles of water that evening within minutes of our mentioning it.

Speaking of not having the room cleaned, they had a Conserve program that gave us $5 towards room service or drinks/food at the Six15 lounge in lieu of having our room cleaned. We simply hung a Conserve tag on the door the night before and, the next morning, we had a coupon good for $5 off, which I gave to the man from room service to get $5 off breakfast! We did this a couple of times during our stay, which was a fun way to conserve resources while benefitting directly from it. They also had a deal for InTouch members--"Raid the Bar," or something like it--where we got $5 off purchases from the minibar. A very nice perk.

Because of our experience, we felt welcomed, we felt a part of an ongoing community, and we thoroughly enjoyed our stay, thanks to the staff at The Grand Hotel. From now on, this will be our hotel of choice whenever we are in Minneapolis,

Room Tip: Room 1011 was incredibly quiet.
Dear SRDryja,

Thanks for the fantastic review (had to get out my reading glasses for that one!). It speaks volumes that you were actually willing to praise our team so effusively after getting to know them for a week. They truly love connecting with our guests, and it's really rewarding for us to see when it makes a lasting impact as it did in your case. Keep up the great writing, and we look forward to your next visit. Please do be sure to ask for me when you arrive, as I would love to meet you!