“Where to start..”

Kimpton Grand Hotel Minneapolis
Ranked #3 of 52 Hotels in Minneapolis
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 8 June 2014

I thoroughly enjoyed my stay at The Grand Hotel. I fell in love with the Kimpton chain of hotels during my stays in La Jolla, CA. Kimpton's, The Grand Hotel in Minneapolis did not disappoint. This hotel is not just walking distance to some of the heart of downtown Minneapolis, housing some of the hottest restaurants and nightlife, but strolling distance! My room was very comfortable. I was surprised at the size of the room and the bathroom was probably the most luxurious bathroom that I have experienced in my travels. The downside would have been the lack of a view. I found it ironic that I spent my Memorial Day vacation away from job, looking out of the windows directly into the windows of the building next door, at other peoples work desks...while they were off for the holiday. View for me is important. I, however, was treated so well by the staff and enjoyed the quality, amenities and location, that the lack of view didn't taint my experience. For 4 days, I felt like a Queen! Really beautiful hotel!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
Hayden L, General Manager at Kimpton Grand Hotel Minneapolis, responded to this reviewResponded 24 June 2014

Dear Keisha H,

Thank you so much for this fantastic review! I love that you're a fan of Kimpton Hotels. I hear that our La Jolla property is lovely, but haven't had a chance to check it out yet. I'm glad that your stay there led you to us! I'm pleased that you found the room and bathroom impressive. They truly are spacious and luxurious. Sorry about the lack of a view. Next time you book a reservation with us, give us a call prior to arrival to request a room on a high floor. They tend to have better views. I appreciate you taking the time to write about us! We'll see you next time you're in Minnie!

Hayden Lingerfelt

Write a ReviewReviews (1,104)

Reviewed 4 June 2014

Rooms are comfortable for an older classic hotel. Bath rooms nice, beds comfortable.
No Ice machines in hotel so you have to call room service for ice. No coffee maker in room and coffee taken down in main lobby at 10am. Breakfast service is in a sushi/steak restaurant on 2nd floor with buffet line so very limited breakfast in hotel.. No ramp entrance in/out of hotel so you have to carry your luggage up stairs into lobby.
Hotel needs some upgrades...

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank RetiredAirlinePilot
Hayden L, General Manager at Kimpton Grand Hotel Minneapolis, responded to this reviewResponded 5 June 2014

Dear RetiredAirlinePilot,

Thank you for taking the time to write about us. I'm pleased that you found the accommodations comfortable. I would live at the hotel if I could just to sleep on the luxurious mattresses! I apologize for the inconvenience regarding ice delivery. We don't have areas in the corridors for ice machines, but our in-room dining attendants are always happy to deliver it. I will share your feedback about breakfast with the owners of Rare. Sorry you were disappointed. We staff bellmen and doormen to assist with luggage up the stairs, but it seems that they weren't available to help you. My apologies. I assure you that we are constantly working on projects to upgrade the hotel and enhance the guest experience. I really appreciate your feedback!

Reviewed 2 June 2014

We really enjoyed our stay at the Grand. The location is very convenient and it was easily accessible by LRT from the airport (Government Plaza or Nicollet Mall Stations). The decor in the hotel was unique and the staff were friendly and welcoming. The rooms are clean and very comfortable with luxurious washrooms. You can walk to many attractions, or stay in the skyway system or take the LRT if it is raining. There is a wine tasting in the evening, which was a nice surprise and the perfect way to start a night out. One thing to note about room choices, the atrium view is really just a view of a small enclosed space and walls with windows. I was expecting a courtyard view, so next time I may splurge on the city view.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear TheVeggieNomad,

I appreciate you taking the time to write about your experience! I'm so glad that you are happy with our location. Access to the sky way is so handy, especially in the chilly winters. Thank you for the kind words about our unique decor, friendly staff and comfortable rooms. The renovation design team did a phenomenal job preserving the history of the building while incorporating some fun Kimpton flair. We are so proud of it! I love that you were impressed by our staff. We have the most wonderful group of people representing The Grand. We look forward to having you as our guest again. Thank you!

Reviewed 28 May 2014

I stayed at this hotel six months ago and it's just as great as the last stay! Staff is wonderful and if you become a Kimpton In-Touch member you get free wifi and a $10 credit to raid the mini-bar in your room. My room has a huge tub with a TV over it to relax. You can also relax in the pool or get a massage for extra fee. The hotel is located downtown Minneapolis and within walking distance from shopping and restaurants.

Room Tip: High rooms are quiet
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Melissa C
Hayden L, General Manager at Kimpton Grand Hotel Minneapolis, responded to this reviewResponded 30 May 2014

Dear Melissa C,

Thanks so much for taking the time to write your (GLOWING!) review of the Grand Hotel. We're thrilled you chose to stay with us again, and we look forward to your return. If there is anything we can do for you in the meantime, please don't hesitate to let us know.

Reviewed 28 May 2014

My first time staying at a Kimpton Hotel and was very pleasantly surprised; staff very helpful and friendly: delicious sushi dinner at the sushi bar; free bikes that guests can use; very good location.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank tmactaggart25

Dear tmactaggart25,

Thanks so much for staying with us at The Grand Hotel Minneapolis, and thanks as well for taking the time to post this review. We're thrilled when folks discover Kimpton and get to experience our unique brand of hospitality. We're located in just about every major US market, and hopefully soon in Canada as well. As a helpful tip, there are extra perks available each time you visit a Kimpton just by signing up for our Kimpton in Touch rewards program (i.e. mini-bar credits, access to upgrades, etc). We hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 28 May 2014

This hotel was great. Clean and updated with more modern amenities for an older building. Centrally located so easy access to everything around town.

Only down side is the rooms are a bit small and crampt. But typical of an older downtown hotel.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business

Dear Billy L,

Thanks so much for staying with us at The Grand, and for posting the great review. It's always great when a seasoned globetrotter such as yourself appreciates all that our humble little Midwestern hotel has to offer. And, while it's true that our rooms aren't VEGAS big, we do have the biggest rooms on average (per SF), in all of downtown Minneapolis. If you do have the occasion to visit us again, whether for business or for pleasure, please make sure to ask for a Premier room upgrade, as those rooms tend to have more elbow room and storage space. Again, thanks for the great review, and we hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed 28 May 2014

I stayed at this hotel for three nights this past weekend and am very impressed. The decor invites you in and the comfortable rooms confirm that you made a good decision to stay here. There were only a couple hitches which are not Kimpton's fault at all: if you stay on the north side of the building it is facing the Crown Plaza, which has a gigantic lit sign that blares all night long. The thoughtfully provided blackout curtains took care of this. Also, you can really hear the street noise from the eighth floor. I think next time I'll request to be a bit higher up. All in all a great experience at this hotel, and I would highly recommend Kimpton to all types, especially those that wish to stay with their dog and want a better hotel than Red Roof Inn. Thanks Kimpton for making my vacation great!

Room Tip: try for the upper floors to avoid street noise and that blaring Crown Plaza sign directly across the...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank mindyjw

Dear mindyjw,

Thanks for the great vacation review. We're so glad you (and your dog!) found us. As for the sights and sounds of the city, it's true that the higher floors are sometimes better...but if you really want to avoid any noise, our atrium rooms take the cake. They are larger than our standard rooms and they are completely sound insulated from the sounds of the city...and you know how those cities can be! If there's anything further we can do for you, please don't hesitate to let us know. We certainly hope you'll come back again.