“Did not live up to expectations.”

Kimpton Grand Hotel Minneapolis
Ranked #3 of 49 Hotels in Minneapolis
GreenLeadersSilver level
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Did not live up to expectations.”
Reviewed 1 July 2014

My husband and I decided to head downtown for our anniversary and booked a room at The Grand Hotel for one night. We had researched hotels on the internet and this one seemed to fit the bill of "more romantic than business oriented".

This hotel is able to check off a lot of categories:

clean - check
good service - check
lobby ambience - check
good downtown location - check

Where it failed was in areas that are hard to define. For example, the bar is tiny and the night we were there the bartender seemed overwhelmed and undertrained - the drinks were sloppy. Not sloppy enough to send them back, but not worth the price either. The bar was crowded in a very uncomfortable way. We sat at the bar, fortunately, because people at the tables had to wait a long time for service. So much so that some patrons came up to the bar to pay because they got tired of waiting for their bill.

It also had no place for breakfast. We knew this going in, it was no secret. But we never realized what an inconvenience that would be until the next morning when we would have given anything for an elevator ride down to breakfast for a sit down coffee, paper, and a bite to eat. But what we failed to foresee was that there was no place close by to get a good breakfast. We ended up going across the street to some kind of business lobby where there was basically a food court along with its food court like atmosphere. Totally killed the ambience.

We were expecting it to be along the lines of The Driskill Hotel in Austin or The Arctic Club in Seattle; it failed on both accounts.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Pilar C
Hayden L, General Manager at Kimpton Grand Hotel Minneapolis, responded to this review, 2 July 2014
Dear Pilar C,

I appreciate you taking the time to write about your stay with us. I'm disappointed that you were dissatisfied. I assure you that your experience at the bar is not typical. I don't know what day of the week you stayed with us, but we usually staff two bartenders with the exception of some Sunday and Monday nights, which are traditionally slower. I'm sorry that the bartender was overwhelmed and service was compromised. In regards to serving breakfast, we do actually have a restaurant on the second floor called Rare that serves breakfast every day starting at 7:00am. Please feel free to contact me if you'd like to discuss your experience. I appreciate the feedback.

Hayden Lingerfelt

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (216)
  • Turkish first
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed 26 June 2014

The rooms in this hotel are nicely sized and the bathroom has a separate shower and tub. The closet was quite large and contained a safe and bathrobes to use.

This is a solidly constructed older building so I had no noise issues from other rooms or the hallways. There is of course, some city noise from the streets below, but certainly within reason.

There is a great fitness center here and that alone can make it worthwhile to stay here, but my favorite thing is the extremely comfortable bed. It's always very nice to find a hotel that knows how to make a bed properly and uses quality sheets and bedding.

I will certainly return for another stay.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Dear MNSQ575,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience! I'm glad that you were happy with the accommodations. Thank you for commenting on our comfy beds! A good night's sleep can be hard to come by when traveling. I will share your feedback about making the bed properly with our housekeeping team. They take so much pride in their work and will appreciate your comments. Thanks so much and come see us again!

Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 23 June 2014

I booked this hotel at my client's recommendation. I stayed 4 nights and my room charges were paid in advance, which was around $1,200. I arrived at the hotel (11:30 PM) very late due to flight delays. First issue - head's up to debit card users - upon arriving I presented my debit card for incidentals, surprisingly the hotel required $70 per day up front ($300 total.) I do not carry a large balance on my card and so instead of just charging me for one day (like most hotels do) I had to transfer money or I would have not had continued access to my room. Second issue, as I mentioned I got in late and had not eaten dinner but I was told the bar / café was open till 1:00 AM. After finally getting into my room and came back down at 12:00 I could not get any food as the bartender was closing early because "it was slow". There were 5 other customers in the bar! Third issue - yes there is room service available 24 hours and I was starving in the morning so ordered breakfast. My coffee was left off the order. Fourth issue - my room card was deactivated before I checked out so could not get back into my room in the morning after getting coffee. Had to go back downstairs and wait in line to reactivate my card. I had to show my ID to do so.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Hayden L, General Manager at Kimpton Grand Hotel Minneapolis, responded to this review, 27 June 2014
Dear Susan C,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. We do indeed take an authorization of $75 per night for potential incidental charges. All hotels do this. It is necessary because there are so many charges that we allow to be billed to the room for convenience, such as restaurant, bar, spa, in-room dining, honor bar, etc. I apologize for the inconvenience of the bar closing early and I assure you that it's been addressed with all bar staff. They are supposed to remain open until our posted closing time. I'm sorry that our in-room dining attendant made a mistake and forgot your coffee. Please let me know if you were charged for it and I will of course reimburse you. I apologize for the inconvenience with your key card. For our guests safety, it is crucial that we ask to see ID. We certainly wouldn't want to issue a key to anyone that isn't registered on the reservation. Please feel free to contact me if you'd like to discuss your experience. Thank you.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Reviewed 19 June 2014

I travel to Minneapolis on a regular basis and, if a room is available, I stay here. The bar has great cocktails (and card games), the rooms are big and uniquely decorated (I always hope for a room with a stump). Easy skywalk access and free wifi make this a no-brainer.

Room Tip: If you get a stump in your room, you win.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Dear bsmacdonald,

Thank you for making The Grand your home away from home when you're in Minneapolis! I am so grateful for your loyalty! I'm glad that you are a fan of our bar, The SIX15 Room. Our engaging bartenders, delicious cocktails and food and unique decor make it such a fun place to hang out. Thanks for mentioning the stumps near the chairs in the guest rooms. I love them too! Our design team did a phenomenal job selecting some really attractive and unusual pieces. Thank you for writing about us. I'd love to meet you next time you're in town!

Elmhurst, Illinois
Reviewed 18 June 2014

Very comfortable stay - felt like I was at home - only better - I didn't have to clean! Staff was great and the Lifetime Fitness access, valet service, and the restaurant for dinner - Rare - were all fantastic. We visited Rare (see my Rare review) twice during our 4 night stay. Never had breakfast there so can't comment.

Although this has absolutely nothing to do with The Grand - be certain to visit the food trucks - they are simply amazing. Get Sauced had the best pulled pork with award winning BBQ sauce. The cupcake truck about two blocks away was great. The Moral Omnivore had hands down the best "Beef Wellington Sliders" imaginable. I'd suggest hitting the trucks as close to 11 as possible as many are running out of food (because it's so darn good) by 12:30-1:00.

Room Tip: Not sure about other rooms, but ours was on the 8th floor and access to any rooms on 8 or above requ...
Green Features: Environmentally friendly reminders all around - options for declining room cleaning with a $5 credit and the usual towel/bedding environmentally friendly options.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Dear seaotter301,

I am so pleased that you felt at home at The Grand! That is always our goal. Thank you for the fantastic comments about the service, Lifetime and Rare. We are so lucky to have such an amazing athletic club in the hotel for our guests use! You are so right about the food trucks. I recommend Vellee Deli in addition to the others you mentioned. Thank you for taking the time to write about us. We'll see you next time you're in Minnie!

Orange County, California
Reviewed 14 June 2014

Really nothing bad to say about this place. They took such great care of us, the staff was amazing, the service fantastic. Great perks (wine hour, bikes available, Kimpton members get $10 bar or room service credit plus $5/day for declining housekeeping, coffee in the lobby in the am). Great location. Nicely decorated. Large room. You get access to the amazing gym. It's not the cheapest hotel, but well worth it. We did not eat at the associated restaurant.

Green Features: Each day you skip housekeeping you get a $5 bar credit, what what what??? That's awesome, because lets face it you don't get clean towels at home everyday and you can make your own bed.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank bubbles911
Hayden L, General Manager at Kimpton Grand Hotel Minneapolis, responded to this review, 24 June 2014
Dear bubbles911,

Wow is right! I can't thank you enough for this stellar review! I'm so pleased that you had such a wonderful experience with us. Thank you for mentioning and taking advantage of our Choose to Conserve program. Not only does the environment benefit, the guest benefits by getting credit towards the bill at The SIX15 Room. It's a win/win! I appreciate your mention of the benefits of our loyalty program as well. It includes some great perks and we are actually enhancing the program very soon, so stay tuned for some exciting changes. Thanks so much for writing about us. We'd love to have you as our guest again!

Reviewed 8 June 2014

I thoroughly enjoyed my stay at The Grand Hotel. I fell in love with the Kimpton chain of hotels during my stays in La Jolla, CA. Kimpton's, The Grand Hotel in Minneapolis did not disappoint. This hotel is not just walking distance to some of the heart of downtown Minneapolis, housing some of the hottest restaurants and nightlife, but strolling distance! My room was very comfortable. I was surprised at the size of the room and the bathroom was probably the most luxurious bathroom that I have experienced in my travels. The downside would have been the lack of a view. I found it ironic that I spent my Memorial Day vacation away from job, looking out of the windows directly into the windows of the building next door, at other peoples work desks...while they were off for the holiday. View for me is important. I, however, was treated so well by the staff and enjoyed the quality, amenities and location, that the lack of view didn't taint my experience. For 4 days, I felt like a Queen! Really beautiful hotel!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
Dear Keisha H,

Thank you so much for this fantastic review! I love that you're a fan of Kimpton Hotels. I hear that our La Jolla property is lovely, but haven't had a chance to check it out yet. I'm glad that your stay there led you to us! I'm pleased that you found the room and bathroom impressive. They truly are spacious and luxurious. Sorry about the lack of a view. Next time you book a reservation with us, give us a call prior to arrival to request a room on a high floor. They tend to have better views. I appreciate you taking the time to write about us! We'll see you next time you're in Minnie!