“Great hotel, perfect location”

Kimpton Grand Hotel Minneapolis
Ranked #4 of 49 Hotels in Minneapolis
GreenLeadersSilver level
Seattle, Washington
“Great hotel, perfect location”
Reviewed 20 July 2014

Stayed here for 2 nights this July. The hotel is located centrally downtown and easy walking distance to many restaurants and bars.

We had a top floor corner room and it was incredible. Super comfy bed and huge bathroom with a tv in the wall above the tub. Oversized glass shower was nice too. If you are used to Kimpton properties, this is pretty much spot on to that style and feel. We walked over to the W one night to check out their top floor bar and were much more impressed with the overall vibe and feel of The Grand.. it just felt more classier.

The one major issue we had on both days was the valet. While the valet people were friendly, they are very short-staffed. We waited almost 30 minutes just to leave the car with them one afternoon (line of cars in front of us waiting) and 25 min's the next night. Valet pickup was usually 20-30 mins on average for us. For $35/night, I would have rather walked to a public garage blocks away.

Minus the parking, I have nothing bad to say about our stay. The building has some incredible architecture and details and is very clean. I will be back (but without a car).

Room Tip: Hotel has 15 floors so higher the better corner room was huge
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Mugsydogg
Hayden L, General Manager at Kimpton Grand Hotel Minneapolis, responded to this review, 29 July 2014
Dear Mugsydogg,

I appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback! I'm so happy that you enjoyed the accommodations and our convenient location. Thank you for mentioning the Kimpton vibe you feel at The Grand. Our design team did an amazing job selecting every aspect of the decor. The Grand is actually the third Kimpton hotel I've worked for that used this designer. They definitely know how to exhibit the fun and stylish Kimpton feel. I apologize for the delays you experienced with valet service. I assure you it's not typical. I've shared your feedback with the company we use to run our valet. Thanks again for taking the time to write about your experience!

Hayden Lingerfelt

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (215)
  • Turkish first
Sioux Falls, SD
Reviewed 17 July 2014

Loved this hotel! Huge room and bathroom, great service from the staff. We enjoyed the free cocktail hour, had some watermelon margaritas. Rooms were quiet and comfy. My only disappointed was not having a view, but very small issue considering the wonderful room and hotel overall.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
Hayden L, General Manager at Kimpton Grand Hotel Minneapolis, responded to this review, 22 July 2014
Dear ilovewarmweather,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience! I'm pleased that you enjoyed the room accommodations and our friendly staff. It's so true, our rooms and bathrooms are unusually large for a downtown hotel. Thanks for joining us for our complimentary nightly wine hour. Aren't those watermelon margaritas are delicious?! Next time you book with us, please feel free to contact me a few days prior to arrival and I will block you in a room on a higher floor with a better view of the city. Thanks so much for taking the time to write about us!

Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed 15 July 2014

I travel to Minneapolis at least once a year and have made this my go-to hotel. The rooms are tastefully appointed (manly!) and the bathrooms are huge. In touch members get a $10 raid the minibar credit or a free drink at the bar. Social hour with complementary wine every evening. Nice bath robes to chill in after the workday. Even a loaner goldfish in your room if you get lonely and need a pet. Can't say enough good things about this hotel chain and this hotel in particular. I recommend it highly.

Room Tip: Some rooms have big bathrooms and others have monsters. Not sure how to insure you get the monster...
Green Features: Most hotels have this "eco friendly" policy as a way to save the earth and cut down on laundry cost. I'm pro green, but please don't pee and tell me it's raining....you're trying to save a buck.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Dear Ncbluedot,

Thank you for making The Grand your Minneapolis home away from home! Thank you for mentioning that our rooms are tastefully appointed. We completed a full renovation when Kimpton took over. We couldn't be happier with the design teams selections. They did a fantastic job preserving the historic and somewhat masculine feel of the building (used to be the Minneapolis Athletic Club) while adding some quirky Kimpton flair. I really appreciate your loyalty to The Grand and Kimpton Hotels and would love to meet you next time you're here!

Minneapolis
Reviewed 13 July 2014

Nice location and staff, but our room was a cave. No natural light; only window opened into interior courtyard. And only one side of the bed had a nightstand and reading light. At this price point, we expected more.

• Stayed July 2014
Hayden L, General Manager at Kimpton Grand Hotel Minneapolis, responded to this review, 15 July 2014
Dear Sptoottoot,

I appreciate you taking the time to share your experience. I regret that you were disappointed with your room. Based on your description, I suspect that you stayed in one of very few atrium facing queen deluxe rooms. These rooms are not representative of the bulk of our rooms. We have twelve different room types, including three categories of large suites. Most of our standard rooms are in the king premier category. They are unusually large and face the exterior of the building, so they have lots of natural light. If you are willing to give us another shot, please feel free to contact me directly to assist you with a reservation and assignment of a room that I guarantee you'll be happy with. Thank you!

New York City, New York
Reviewed 11 July 2014

I stayed two nights in the Grand Hotel and I loved it. I travel often for work and this hotel is unlike any average hotel. From the decor in the lobby to the hotel room, it was all well done. The lobby had the look of a boutique hotel. The rooms were lush! I loved the comfy bath robes. The bath rooms were amazing. The large soaking tub with a tv above was such a nice and classy touch! After a particular long day, having that tub and a glass of wine was perfect. The bed was large and I slept well. I ate most meals at the bar and it was a very nice calm place. Joining their club is well worth it! You get free snacks if you join. I cannot wait for my next stay in this hotel!

Room Tip: Higher floor had a great view!
Green Features: They offer you the chance to decline room cleaning. Each day you decline you received a credit to use at the restaurant/bar.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Deeannana
Hayden L, General Manager at Kimpton Grand Hotel Minneapolis, responded to this review, 21 July 2014
Dear Deeannana,

Thank you for being our guest and taking the time to write about us! From someone that travels as often as you and stays in many different hotels, your praise is so complimentary. I'm so glad that you were able to wind down a busy day by taking a soak in the luxurious tub! Those tubs are the best and it's a nice perk to be able to watch TV while soaking! I appreciate you mentioning our rewards program. We actually just revised it last week and it is now called Kimpton Karma. You can read all about it on the new Kimpton Hotels website. It's free to join and well worth it! We too can't wait for your return. Thanks again for sharing your experience!

Regards.

Reviewed 6 July 2014

The staff of The Grand Hotel Minneapolis went above and beyond in making our 25th anniversary extra special. From a magnificent room upgrade to wine and cheese, this hotel made our night amazing. Everyone we came in contact at the hotel really went the extra mile for us. Beautiful lobby, rooms and people! Thanks for making our anniversary special.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Ann H
Dear Ann H,

Happy belated 25th Anniversary!! Thank you for choosing The Grand for your celebration. I'm so happy that our lovely staff made you feel pampered. I appreciate you sharing your experience and hope to see you again next year to celebrate your 26th!

Bangalore, Karnataka, India
Reviewed 3 July 2014

I stayed here for one night and I found the experience great. The staff were friendly and the restaurant/bar on the first level is nice as well. My only grouse with this place was that they didn't have the default Airport transfers many other hotels in the Downtown area provide.

Room Tip: Try getting rooms above the 7th floor. That's where you get the best view of Minneapolis downtow...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Dear itsmeritesh,

I'm so pleased that you enjoyed your experience with us! Thank you for taking the time to write about it. I appreciate you spending some time with our fantastic bar staff in The SIX15 Room. They make some tasty craft cocktails and the inviting atmosphere is worth mentioning too! We indeed do not have a shuttle to/from the airport, but if you call the hotel we are always happy to schedule a town car to transport you. Thanks again for this lovely review! I hope you'll be back.