“Pet friendly, fun, and great location.”

Kimpton Grand Hotel Minneapolis
Ranked #4 of 49 Hotels in Minneapolis
GreenLeadersSilver level
“Pet friendly, fun, and great location.”
Reviewed 29 July 2014 via mobile

Very positive experience and a great way to experience Minneapolis. They cover all details from a complimentary wine hour to dog beds and bowls prepared in the room. We loved the ambiance and decorations of the building. Did not get a chance to visit the restaurant but the menu looked good. Will be signing up for karma rewards to continue using Kimpton hotels during travels, only bummer is you can't use your first visit to begin the rewards program. Otherwise, recommended!

Stayed July 2014
Hayden L, Manager at Kimpton Grand Hotel Minneapolis, responded to this review, 4 August 2014
Dear Kristen P,

Thanks so much for staying with us and for taking the time to write this review. We love to make our four-legged friends are made to feel welcome, and we love it even more when their humans fell the same way. Hope to see you in Minneapolis again soon.

Hayden Lingerfelt

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (218)
  • Turkish first
Waterloo, Iowa
Reviewed 22 July 2014

We stayed here for three nights. Our room was large with a great view, and also super clean. The room was also very quiet, which I really appreciate. I have stayed at Kimpton hotels before, and always appreciate the amenities that they offer.
We were able to walk to Target Field, Nicolett Mall, Stone Arch Bridge and a variety restaurants during our stay. The Grand Hotel even had bikes available for use if you feel like taking a spin!
I highly recommend staying at the Grand. It's one of the more expensive hotels in downtown Minneapolis, but in my opinion, it was worth it!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Hayden L, General Manager at Kimpton Grand Hotel Minneapolis, responded to this review, 31 July 2014
Dear Vicky D,

I appreciate you sharing your experience and recommending The Grand! Thank you for mentioning the cleanliness of the hotel. I'm happy to share that we consistently rank in the top ten in our company for cleanliness. Most members of our housekeeping team have been here for many years and they take so much pride in their work. I'm so lucky to have such a dedicated team! We do indeed have bikes to lend out. Simply let the front desk know that you'd like to take a spin and they'll get you set up with helmets and locks. Thank you so much for this fantastic write-up. I hope you'll be back!

Youngstown, ohio
Reviewed 22 July 2014

I generally stay in 4 or 5 star hotels and I state this so people can better judge my frame of reference. I received an email from the manager prior to my stay asking if I had any special requests and welcoming me to the hotel. This has never happened to me before. I asked for a quiet room with a view which was non connecting, if possible; it was my husband's birthday. Upon check in, we were given a suite with a separate living room and bedroom. It was located in a corner with lots of windows and in a very quiet area of the hotel. We were also surprised with a cheese plate and a bottle of wine for my husband's birthday. The suite was not huge, but very comfortable; the living room had a fold out sofa if needed, and another TV. The bathroom was very large and beautifully decorated with marble and even a cabinet to store things in. I would have liked a separate shower and tub, but didn't think to ask for it, but that was minor. The mirror had been treated with something so the middle of the mirror never got steamed from the shower. I have never seen this before. The bed was very comfortable with blackout curtains and I never even heard street sounds. Very soft robes are provided as well. They provide a wine reception every evening and we enjoyed that very much. They have an interesting program which includes a $10.00 credit for the mini bar or a drink in the hotel bar if you are member of their loyalty program. In addition, if you don't use housekeeping you get a $5.00 voucher each day, so between both credits we enjoyed drinks at the bar. We didn't need housekeeping; they give you more than enough towels so we had fresh towels every day for our 3 day stay. This is not a large hotel and is considered a boutique hotel, which I loved as the service was personal and it was generally quiet. I asked for a coffee maker for the next day and sure enough, there it was right outside my door the next morning, but they also have free coffee in the mornings in the lobby. This was the old Minneapolis athletic club and Kimpton Hotels renovated it in that style. You do feel like you are in an exclusive gentleman's club and it was charming. It was extremely clean and well maintained. The only comment I would have is I would like a little more color in the rooms, but that's a personal preference, and better lighting in the living room, but that didn't interfere at all with our comfort and enjoyment. They have two bars, with somewhat limited hours, but the hotel is so close to the downtown restaurants and bars, that it's not really an issue. In fact, we walked around every evening and it was nice to come back to a quieter hotel than the bigger hotels in the middle of a lot of noise. My only suggestion to the manager is to try and find a space for a little shop. There is no where to buy snacks, necessities, water, etc. in the hotel and we didn't find one nearby. However, in the hotel literature, they said they would gladly provide a necessity if needed. We didn't eat breakfast in the hotel because we wanted to explore and found the Hen House one block away which we liked and Keys Restaurant a couple blocks away which was also good. Overall, I would highly recommend the Grand; it has many extras that aren't found in other places and I was most pleasantly surprised. Our daughter lives in Minneapolis, so we will definitely be back to the Grand.

Room Tip: I believe free wi fi is only for loyalty members; ask for a room that is non connecting
Green Features: I was very impressed with the voucher instead of housekeeping program
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank leeviolet
Dear leeviolet,

Wow, thanks so much for this excellent write-up! I appreciate you choosing The Grand for your husband's birthday celebration. I'm glad that you enjoyed the boutique feel of the hotel. With only 140 rooms, our staff has the opportunity to really connect with and personalize each guests stay. We love creating what we call "Kimpton Moments"! Thank you for commenting on our rewards program. We recently revised it and now call it Kimpton Karma. As you mentioned, perks include free wifi, $10 raid the bar credit, upgrades if available, room preferences, etc. It's free to join and well worth it! Thank you too for the gift shop suggestion. I'll certainly explore that. Feel free to reach out to me personally next time you're in town to visit your daughter. I'd be happy to assist you with a reservation. Thanks again for this amazing review!

Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 20 July 2014

Stayed here for 2 nights this July. The hotel is located centrally downtown and easy walking distance to many restaurants and bars.

We had a top floor corner room and it was incredible. Super comfy bed and huge bathroom with a tv in the wall above the tub. Oversized glass shower was nice too. If you are used to Kimpton properties, this is pretty much spot on to that style and feel. We walked over to the W one night to check out their top floor bar and were much more impressed with the overall vibe and feel of The Grand.. it just felt more classier.

The one major issue we had on both days was the valet. While the valet people were friendly, they are very short-staffed. We waited almost 30 minutes just to leave the car with them one afternoon (line of cars in front of us waiting) and 25 min's the next night. Valet pickup was usually 20-30 mins on average for us. For $35/night, I would have rather walked to a public garage blocks away.

Minus the parking, I have nothing bad to say about our stay. The building has some incredible architecture and details and is very clean. I will be back (but without a car).

Room Tip: Hotel has 15 floors so higher the better corner room was huge
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Mugsydogg
Hayden L, General Manager at Kimpton Grand Hotel Minneapolis, responded to this review, 29 July 2014
Dear Mugsydogg,

I appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback! I'm so happy that you enjoyed the accommodations and our convenient location. Thank you for mentioning the Kimpton vibe you feel at The Grand. Our design team did an amazing job selecting every aspect of the decor. The Grand is actually the third Kimpton hotel I've worked for that used this designer. They definitely know how to exhibit the fun and stylish Kimpton feel. I apologize for the delays you experienced with valet service. I assure you it's not typical. I've shared your feedback with the company we use to run our valet. Thanks again for taking the time to write about your experience!

Sioux Falls, SD
Reviewed 17 July 2014

Loved this hotel! Huge room and bathroom, great service from the staff. We enjoyed the free cocktail hour, had some watermelon margaritas. Rooms were quiet and comfy. My only disappointed was not having a view, but very small issue considering the wonderful room and hotel overall.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
Hayden L, General Manager at Kimpton Grand Hotel Minneapolis, responded to this review, 22 July 2014
Dear ilovewarmweather,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience! I'm pleased that you enjoyed the room accommodations and our friendly staff. It's so true, our rooms and bathrooms are unusually large for a downtown hotel. Thanks for joining us for our complimentary nightly wine hour. Aren't those watermelon margaritas are delicious?! Next time you book with us, please feel free to contact me a few days prior to arrival and I will block you in a room on a higher floor with a better view of the city. Thanks so much for taking the time to write about us!

Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed 15 July 2014

I travel to Minneapolis at least once a year and have made this my go-to hotel. The rooms are tastefully appointed (manly!) and the bathrooms are huge. In touch members get a $10 raid the minibar credit or a free drink at the bar. Social hour with complementary wine every evening. Nice bath robes to chill in after the workday. Even a loaner goldfish in your room if you get lonely and need a pet. Can't say enough good things about this hotel chain and this hotel in particular. I recommend it highly.

Room Tip: Some rooms have big bathrooms and others have monsters. Not sure how to insure you get the monster...
Green Features: Most hotels have this "eco friendly" policy as a way to save the earth and cut down on laundry cost. I'm pro green, but please don't pee and tell me it's raining....you're trying to save a buck.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Dear Ncbluedot,

Thank you for making The Grand your Minneapolis home away from home! Thank you for mentioning that our rooms are tastefully appointed. We completed a full renovation when Kimpton took over. We couldn't be happier with the design teams selections. They did a fantastic job preserving the historic and somewhat masculine feel of the building (used to be the Minneapolis Athletic Club) while adding some quirky Kimpton flair. I really appreciate your loyalty to The Grand and Kimpton Hotels and would love to meet you next time you're here!

Minneapolis
Reviewed 13 July 2014

Nice location and staff, but our room was a cave. No natural light; only window opened into interior courtyard. And only one side of the bed had a nightstand and reading light. At this price point, we expected more.

• Stayed July 2014
Hayden L, General Manager at Kimpton Grand Hotel Minneapolis, responded to this review, 15 July 2014
Dear Sptoottoot,

I appreciate you taking the time to share your experience. I regret that you were disappointed with your room. Based on your description, I suspect that you stayed in one of very few atrium facing queen deluxe rooms. These rooms are not representative of the bulk of our rooms. We have twelve different room types, including three categories of large suites. Most of our standard rooms are in the king premier category. They are unusually large and face the exterior of the building, so they have lots of natural light. If you are willing to give us another shot, please feel free to contact me directly to assist you with a reservation and assignment of a room that I guarantee you'll be happy with. Thank you!