“Average in all dimensions, convenient for Vikings games”

Renaissance Minneapolis Hotel, The Depot
Ranked #25 of 49 Hotels in Minneapolis
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Average in all dimensions, convenient for Vikings games”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 November 2013

I stayed at The Depot Renaissance for three nights for business. Overall, it's good, especially the building is beautiful, but nothing really stood out. Especially the fact that lounge was closed during the wekeend and I did not get any breakfast was disappointing. I think next time I will try a different hotel. Below are the details.

Pros:
(1) The building is beautiful. The decoration is old style but not old!, it is clean and well-maintained.
(2) Close to Vikings stadium.
(3) Room is well decorated (again, in an old-style). Toilet and shower worked well. Bed was nice.
(4) On weekdays, I was able to enjoy the Lounge on the same floor as my room (4th), with water and nonalcoholic beverages, light snacks, and breakfast, and some fruits (see Cons as well).
(5) Staff was nice to me.

Cons:
(1) Located sort of middle of nowhere. Long walk to the university (10-15min). Long walk (like 15-20 min) to the center of the Downtown. If you have a car it's fine, but I didn't...
(2) The lounge was closed during the weekend. Maybe I wasn't careful listening when I was checking in, but I was disappointed to find out that the lounge is closed two days out of my three day visit (no free breakfast or soft drinks). I asked there is any alternative offered for the closed lounge at the front desk, but the answer was "no. you need to pay..."
(3) There weren't many people at the front desk. Service was efficient but sometimes I was frustrated by the wait. It was especially frustrating because there seem to be people doing other stuff but they were not available for answering quick questions for example.
(4) My room was sort of small, for the mid-west standard.
(5) No swimming pool. They have a gym of course.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Liz K, Manager at Renaissance Minneapolis Hotel, The Depot, responded to this review, 29 November 2013
Mamber-m,

We appreciate your detailed review of our hotel. We are sorry that it wasn't more than just an average experience for you. Thank you for providing us with feedback from your stay and for staying as our guest.

Liz

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (96)
Calgary, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 November 2013

Stayed here for a weekend getaway. In general, hotels in downtown Minneapolis are pricey and this one was no exception...but reasonable for the area. Room was very cozy and clean...all the staff was friendly. The 'Train Depot' feel to it it added to the nostalgia of the area.
Close to the river and Stone Arch bridge and historic hiking paths - also a quick walk to the football stadium

this was our second stay at this hotel and definitely could see a third in the future

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Liz K, Manager at Renaissance Minneapolis Hotel, The Depot, responded to this review, 22 November 2013
David p,

Thank you for your review of our hotel and staying as our guest. We are glad to hear you felt the room was cozy and clean and you had a good experience with the staff. We hope to see you again in the future!

Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 November 2013

We recently received a gift certificate for a one night stay and were excited to check out this hotel with our younger children (ages 7 and 4). We headed downtown after work on a Friday to check in. I have always wanted to visit this hotel. I love that it is in an old train station and they had great memorabilia and train-themed statues throughout the lobby area. It was a very welcoming and nice environment.

Check in went smooth and fast with no issues. My kids loved that there was a basket of apples in the lobby and I enjoyed the cucumber water. We quickly dropped our bags and went up the street to try Japanese for dinner.

After dinner, we changed into our suits and went to check out the pool area. There is a huge feature pool with a train theme. There is also a hot tub and a slightly deeper pool with basketball, a wobbly island, and a water slide. I loved the hot tub. It was spacious and clean and working. My kids loved the feature area and had fun running around exploring it. I didn't try the slide, but my husband did and enjoyed it. Upstairs was a snack bar with food and beverages available (including alcohol).

After showering, we went downstairs to check out the Stone Arch Bar. We ended up sitting on the patio to enjoy the fire pit outside. We ordered drinks and dessert. It was quiet out there and fun to people watch the people attending an event at the Depot.

The room itself was spacious and clean, the beds were comfortable. They had Aveda products in the bathroom, which I appreciated and enjoyed. It is nice to have a spa-quality product and a local one at that. We all slept well but did hear some hallway noise in the middle of the night from loud people returning to their rooms.

In the morning, we walked to Dunn Bros for a cup of coffee and walked down to check out the Stone Arch Bridge and river. It just a fun, beautiful area in Minneapolis. Everyone was friendly on the street, too. We had the buffet breakfast at the restaurant in the hotel. It was good and had plenty of hot and cold option.

Overall, we were very pleased with our stay at the Depot Renaissance. It was a great little getaway for our family. I think it would also be nice for a couple as the whole Stone Arch area is a bit romantic, in my opinion.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank bellastella227
Liz K, Manager at Renaissance Minneapolis Hotel, The Depot, responded to this review, 6 November 2013
Bellastella,

Thank you for such a detailed review of our hotel! I'm glad to hear you were able to getaway with your family and enjoy your stay with us. If you and your family enjoyed the train-themed atmosphere be sure do come visit us in late November when the ice rink opens in the old train depot. Thanks again for the review and for staying as our guest.

USA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 October 2013

Booked this hotel to attend an educational conference. Room was big and beds were very comfortable. The shower was exceptionally nice. The one thing you need to be aware of is the price of the water park tickets. I stayed in a block of rooms that had a discounted rate. When we asked at the front desk about the water park, it took 3 people to determine what we would be charged (free tickets for us) and ultimately it was wrong. If you get a discounted room, you need to pay for the water park. If you stay at full price then the water park is free (4 tickets). When I got my bill and saw that I was charged $40 for the tickets I complained and the fee was deducted. This needs to be better advertised and the front desk people need to know the rules and tell you up front.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
PITraveler123,

Thank you for your review. I'm happy to hear that you had a comfortable stay with us while attending your conference. I apologize for the confusion about the water park tickets.We do offer a few room packages that include water park admission. I will be sure to discuss our offerings with the front desk so it does not happen again. We hope you will visit us again next time you are in the Minneapolis area.

Best,
Mandan, North Dakota
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 October 2013

I have stayed in a lot of nice expensive hotels in my life, but I have to say this hotel is my favorite.
The rooms were very clean. The beds were extra comfy. Every one that worked there from the check in counter, to the room service, to the valet attendants were very friendly and professional.
I am glad this is the hotel I chose for my first visit to Minneapolis.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank 789DeCaLa
Liz K, Manager at Renaissance Minneapolis Hotel, The Depot, responded to this review, 30 October 2013
789DeCala,

Thank you so much for taking the time to review our hotel. I'm thrilled to hear we are your favorite! I will be sure to pass on your kind comments to the rest of our team. Come back and visit us anytime!

Quitman, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 October 2013

This hotels is close to downtown and the Mississippi River. The staff was very professional and friendly. The hotel is very clean and managed well. There wasn't a time I passed by an employee and they greeted me and asked me how my stay was so far. The bar and restaurants are very nice and offer lots of local beers. I would recommend this hotel for anyone that's looking for something close to downtown and all it has to offer! I would stay here again.

Room Tip: 376 - Comfy room with a nice view of downtown and the ice rink area. The A/C units outside the windo...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
depotmgr, General Manager at Renaissance Minneapolis Hotel, The Depot, responded to this review, 24 October 2013
Thanks Josh! I'm glad that you enjoyed the hotel and look forward to having you back.
Michael
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 October 2013

We stayed here for the Medtronic Marathon the first weekend in October. It is a beautiful hotel, the rooms are spacious, beds comfy and well located a few blockd from the light rail (Government Plaza stop). It is walking distance to the city center and the warehouse district which is a little funky..nice restautrants, bars etc. A few tiny drawbacks (and only if these things matter to you). Clearly very few people utilize public transportation. The staff at the hotel were SO friendly, but couldn't really help at all about busses to get around. This was important to me, as the non runner in the group I had to meet my friend at certain mile points throughout the race as well as get to the finish line. But I managed. Also again as the non runner I wanted to explore a little night life..but this hotel is smack in the middle of the government district, so after you left the boundaries of the downtown it was very desolate. I did not feel safe walking back to the hotel late at night and alone. But again..that's me. But if you want a well located and clean hotel overall, it's a sure bet.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Coquija
Thanks for the review and I will be sure to share the nice comments with our team. The marathon weekend is very busy and I'm sorry for all of the traffic and congestion!
Michael
Also consider these accommodations in or near Minneapolis
Residence Inn Minneapolis Downtown at The Depot
The Hotel Minneapolis, Autograph Collection
BEST WESTERN PLUS The Normandy Inn & Suites
aloft Minneapolis
aloft Minneapolis
#24 of 49 in Minneapolis

Been to Renaissance Minneapolis Hotel, The Depot? Share your experiences!