“Looking forward to a return to The Depot Renaissance” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Renaissance Minneapolis Hotel, The Depot

Renaissance Minneapolis Hotel, The Depot
Ranked #25 of 49 Hotels in Minneapolis
Williston, Vermont
“Looking forward to a return to The Depot Renaissance”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 December 2013

We will be taken another trip to Minneapolis in about 10 days and are looking forward to another stay at this property. The staff is personable and professional, the location is very convenient, and the hotel offers something for all types of travelers. This is a great option in a great city filled with wonderful restaurants and activities. See you soon!!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
depotmgr, General Manager at Renaissance Minneapolis Hotel, The Depot, responded to this review, 9 December 2013
Thanks Tony! It's turned into a winter wonderland since your last visit. Be sure to bring your warm coat! Michael

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (96)
USA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 November 2013

The staff was friendly and the property was clean. The only strange bit was having a jacuzzi in my room. Call me crazy, but I prefer to have my tub in the bathroom and not next to the bed. The breakfast buffet was generous and getting a taxi was easy. The guy at the desk made a nice recommendation for dinner.

Room Tip: Skip the spa suite
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Liz K, Manager at Renaissance Minneapolis Hotel, The Depot, responded to this review, 29 November 2013
GatsbyUSA,

I'm happy to hear that you encountered friendly staff and you found the property to be clean. Our spa suites do have the Jacuzzi's outside of the bathroom which I understand is a bit uncommon. If you return to our hotel in the future I would recommend checking out our historic suites which have a more traditional set-up with unique decor. We appreciate your review and hope to see you again.

Manning, Iowa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 November 2013

Excellent parking, very friendly desk staff, clean rooms, quiet surroundings and, through these are the basics, the Depot has more to offer. I recommend the hotel's bar, both extremely calm and comfortable, with a polite, prompt staff to boot. The Depot's restaurant is also above average and serves a morning buffet for a reasonable price. Finally the location, within walking distance of many bars and eating establishments, is an added plus. Perhaps the only draw back might be the lodging's price, not over the top but a tad steep.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Liz K, Manager at Renaissance Minneapolis Hotel, The Depot, responded to this review, 22 November 2013
Augustleroy,

Thank you so much for your review. I’m so glad to hear you enjoyed your stay with us. It sounds like you were able to spend time enjoying the hotel and also had the opportunity to get out and explore the local area. We certainly hope you will visit us again in the future.

New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 November 2013

This is a great hotel that was once an old train station. You can still see some of the waiting rooms with the marble and towering ceilings. I love places like this. Best part of this hotel is the bar/restaurant area. It's the hub of the hotel. Right off the main lobby, it's just a very comfortable space with lots of different types of seating, very good food and it can be for a casual meetup with other guests or a casual business meeting, it serves alot of purposes. The bar itself has a bunch of comfortable stools, nice selection of beers and it's nicely incorporated into the space. I sampled alot of the food over the 4 days of my visit and everything was good. The staff throughout the hotel was very friendly. They seemed like they enjoyed working there. The hotel is in an ok, location, not right downtown but just a few minute walk to lots of different neighborhoods. I found a great japanese restaurant just a block down, I think they call this the warehouse district because there alot of old factories that have been turned into apartments. It's a hip area and it was exactly what I was looking for. The room was very comfortable and quiet. And the elevator was quick. I have a little pet peeve with hotels where you have to wait 5 minutes every time you press the floor button. This one is super quick and came in a jiff over the probably 50 trips up and down I did over 4 days.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
View2mtn,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I’m happy to hear you were able to explore areas of the hotel as well as the warehouse district. I’m also happy to hear you had a pleasant experience with the hotel staff and got to enjoy the bar and restaurant while you were our guest. Please come back and see us again soon!

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 November 2013

I stayed at The Depot Renaissance for three nights for business. Overall, it's good, especially the building is beautiful, but nothing really stood out. Especially the fact that lounge was closed during the wekeend and I did not get any breakfast was disappointing. I think next time I will try a different hotel. Below are the details.

Pros:
(1) The building is beautiful. The decoration is old style but not old!, it is clean and well-maintained.
(2) Close to Vikings stadium.
(3) Room is well decorated (again, in an old-style). Toilet and shower worked well. Bed was nice.
(4) On weekdays, I was able to enjoy the Lounge on the same floor as my room (4th), with water and nonalcoholic beverages, light snacks, and breakfast, and some fruits (see Cons as well).
(5) Staff was nice to me.

Cons:
(1) Located sort of middle of nowhere. Long walk to the university (10-15min). Long walk (like 15-20 min) to the center of the Downtown. If you have a car it's fine, but I didn't...
(2) The lounge was closed during the weekend. Maybe I wasn't careful listening when I was checking in, but I was disappointed to find out that the lounge is closed two days out of my three day visit (no free breakfast or soft drinks). I asked there is any alternative offered for the closed lounge at the front desk, but the answer was "no. you need to pay..."
(3) There weren't many people at the front desk. Service was efficient but sometimes I was frustrated by the wait. It was especially frustrating because there seem to be people doing other stuff but they were not available for answering quick questions for example.
(4) My room was sort of small, for the mid-west standard.
(5) No swimming pool. They have a gym of course.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Mamber-m,

We appreciate your detailed review of our hotel. We are sorry that it wasn't more than just an average experience for you. Thank you for providing us with feedback from your stay and for staying as our guest.

Calgary, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 November 2013

Stayed here for a weekend getaway. In general, hotels in downtown Minneapolis are pricey and this one was no exception...but reasonable for the area. Room was very cozy and clean...all the staff was friendly. The 'Train Depot' feel to it it added to the nostalgia of the area.
Close to the river and Stone Arch bridge and historic hiking paths - also a quick walk to the football stadium

this was our second stay at this hotel and definitely could see a third in the future

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
David p,

Thank you for your review of our hotel and staying as our guest. We are glad to hear you felt the room was cozy and clean and you had a good experience with the staff. We hope to see you again in the future!

Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 November 2013

We recently received a gift certificate for a one night stay and were excited to check out this hotel with our younger children (ages 7 and 4). We headed downtown after work on a Friday to check in. I have always wanted to visit this hotel. I love that it is in an old train station and they had great memorabilia and train-themed statues throughout the lobby area. It was a very welcoming and nice environment.

Check in went smooth and fast with no issues. My kids loved that there was a basket of apples in the lobby and I enjoyed the cucumber water. We quickly dropped our bags and went up the street to try Japanese for dinner.

After dinner, we changed into our suits and went to check out the pool area. There is a huge feature pool with a train theme. There is also a hot tub and a slightly deeper pool with basketball, a wobbly island, and a water slide. I loved the hot tub. It was spacious and clean and working. My kids loved the feature area and had fun running around exploring it. I didn't try the slide, but my husband did and enjoyed it. Upstairs was a snack bar with food and beverages available (including alcohol).

After showering, we went downstairs to check out the Stone Arch Bar. We ended up sitting on the patio to enjoy the fire pit outside. We ordered drinks and dessert. It was quiet out there and fun to people watch the people attending an event at the Depot.

The room itself was spacious and clean, the beds were comfortable. They had Aveda products in the bathroom, which I appreciated and enjoyed. It is nice to have a spa-quality product and a local one at that. We all slept well but did hear some hallway noise in the middle of the night from loud people returning to their rooms.

In the morning, we walked to Dunn Bros for a cup of coffee and walked down to check out the Stone Arch Bridge and river. It just a fun, beautiful area in Minneapolis. Everyone was friendly on the street, too. We had the buffet breakfast at the restaurant in the hotel. It was good and had plenty of hot and cold option.

Overall, we were very pleased with our stay at the Depot Renaissance. It was a great little getaway for our family. I think it would also be nice for a couple as the whole Stone Arch area is a bit romantic, in my opinion.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank bellastella227
Liz K, Manager at Renaissance Minneapolis Hotel, The Depot, responded to this review, 6 November 2013
Bellastella,

Thank you for such a detailed review of our hotel! I'm glad to hear you were able to getaway with your family and enjoy your stay with us. If you and your family enjoyed the train-themed atmosphere be sure do come visit us in late November when the ice rink opens in the old train depot. Thanks again for the review and for staying as our guest.

Liz
Also consider these accommodations in or near Minneapolis
Residence Inn Minneapolis Downtown at The Depot
The Hotel Minneapolis, Autograph Collection
The Westin Minneapolis
The Westin Minneapolis
#21 of 49 in Minneapolis
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,071 reviews
Embassy Suites by Hilton Minneapolis Downtown

Been to Renaissance Minneapolis Hotel, The Depot? Share your experiences!