“Great Hotel and Staff” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #25 of 49 Hotels in Minneapolis
Des Moines, Iowa
“Great Hotel and Staff”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 July 2014

When checking in the front desk staff was very friendly, asking about our stay and recommending a nearby coffee shop. We never made it to that one, but there's a great Dunn Bros. right next door.

There's a covered parking section with a high steel roof. Unfortunately, the ramp that goes in and out of that section is not graded correctly. We bottomed out our car, granted there were 4 heavy guys in it, but still. Not a nice suprise. They should put up a sign.

We paid $15 a day as hotel guests for parking. It's nice that they give you a card you can just swipe each time you enter or exit. That's better than a paper ticket.

We stayed in a 2 queen room. The beds were very comfortable, around a medium firmness. I love having a fridge instead of a mini-bar! The sink is outside of the bathroom door, which is nicer when you have more than 2 staying in a room.

The elevators are a little slow. The decor is aging, but well kept.

We didn't eat in the restaurant. There's not a lot of restaurants right near by, but Kindee Thai is walking distance and was very good with exceptional service when we dined. The Butcher & The Boar is a little over 20 minute walk away and is one of my favorite restaurants in the world. If you're gay boys, like we are, you may appreciate that "eagleBOLTbar" is just kitty-corner from the hotel.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
Brittany E, Front Office Manager at Renaissance Minneapolis Hotel, The Depot, responded to this review, 7 July 2014
razorspain-

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us! I'm happy you found the accomodations to be comfortable for the four of you while with us and I'm happy you were able to utilize our in-room refrigerator. I'm sorry to hear about your vehicle bottoming out! I will bring this to the attention of our parking manger so we can address this issue as soon as possible. I hope this didn't detract too much from your stay and I hope you have a chance to visit us again soon.

Thank you again for your review!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (96)
Houston, Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 July 2014

The rooms could use a make over and they don't have in room safes. Plus they do not allow late check outs. I needed an extra hour but was told by the front desk that wasn't possible. It was a Sunday. Not certain why that wasn't possible

Room Tip: I got my room on Travelocity so it was a good price
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Des Moines, Iowa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 July 2014

Decided to stay on this side of downtown for this trip to be near a wedding venue. We usually stay near the center or farther south on the Nicollet Mall. We were delighted at the Dunn brothers coffee shop right next door. Loved that it was walkable to the Saturday Farmer's market, and the Guthrie Theater. It's easy to walk the paths near the river and the Stone Arch Bridge. We also walked across the river to the restaurants and activities at St. Anthony Main. Definitely a great location, especially for those who like to take advantage of Minnesota summer outdoor activities and weather.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
offthebeatenpath100-

Thank you for your review of the Depot Renaissance Minneapolis Hotel. I am happy to hear you ventured outside of your normal area to discover us! It sounds like you had a chance to explore some of the fantastic spots around us and that's what the Renaissance brand is all about! I hope you have a chance to visit us again in the future.

Thank you again!
Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2014 via mobile

On our way to Minneapolis we had arrived earlier than planned. I called to see if we could checkin early however the rooms were not available (which was not a problem since we had plenty of things to do downtown until the rooms were ready) the Guest Service Agent offered change my room request if I wanted to checkin asap. I told her we could wait so she offered to personally call me on my cell when the rooms were ready which she did. After receiving the call we arrived at the hotel and was greeted by a valet who was the nicest and most helpful guy I have encountered in a service position in very long time. He offered to park our car for us but he also offered the self parking as an option. We opted for the self park. The valet said he had to park a car so we could follow him to the parking structure and he would show us where park and show us where to checkin. Such a nice guy. This helped a lot because had no clue where to go. Checkin was quick and easy and the lobby was very clean and very cool. You can tell it has history which I love. The Guest Service Agents were personable and very friendly. I reserved two double queen rooms with a request for adjoining which was honored. Yay! The room rate wasn't bad either considering it was a Saturday on a busy weekend in June. The rooms smelled fresh and were very clean. The decor was befitting to the style of the hotel and was very nice. No issues whatsoever. The location was beyond perfect for my main destination was across the parking lot. I was in walking distance to everything downtown has to offer. Nicollet Mall, bars, restaurants, Guthrie etcetera. My travel buddies thought the hotel was great also. I usually stay at the Best Western Normandy which is also a great hotel, but they were booked. I think I have a new favorite. We will be back.

• Stayed June 2014
roaltimr72-

Thanks so much for taking the time to review your stay with us. I'm so happy to hear we were able to honor your request for adjoiing rooms over the weekend. It's great to hear you encountered such friendly staff right away and I'm happy to hear the front desk followed up as promised when the room was ready. I hope you enjoyed yout holiday and we hope to have a chance to host you and your family again!

Thank you again!
mo2339
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 June 2014

Came to visit my friend that lives in Minneapolis. I managed to get a room the same day (on a Saturday, too!) The staff was very accommodating and friendly. All the employees that past you as you walked by smiled at you. Clean and quiet, with a great railroad history behind it. I'd stay here again for sure.

Room Tip: I always ask for a quiet room/quiet floor, as I like my rest and relaxation while taking a vacation.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
mo2339-

Thank you for taking the time to review your time with us! I'm happy to hear we were able to accomodate you on such short notice! It's always great to hear that you encountered such friendly staff and enjoyed the history behind our property. I hope you enjoyed time with your friend and exploring downtown Minneapolis.

We hope to see you again!
Walnut, CA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2014

The Depot Renaissance Hotel is not exactly in a former train station but is in an adjacent annex with the former depot hall used as a banquet facility. The public spaces in the hotel are decorated with dozens of huge colorful travel posters that were issued by the Milwaukee Road, the railroad that once owned the station. There are also a lot of rail-related photos adorning the walls, and display cases containing Milwaukee Road artifacts. The meals at the hotel's restaurant were quite good and reasonably priced, which was fortunate in that there are few eating options within easy walking distance. The bar has a good selection of local draft beers. We had Room 356 which was spotless and well-supplied with towels. The beds were very comfortable. Staff was, without exception, friendly and helpful. From the hotel it's an easy three-block walk to the light rail station where trains can be caught going to MSP Airport, Mall of America, U of M, and downtown Saint Paul. I can't imagine a better place to stay for visiting railfans, or for ordinary folks either.

UnclePaulie-

Thank you for reviewing your time with us at the Depot Renaissance Minneapolis Hotel! I'm happy to hear you enjoyed the bits of railroad history featured within our building. I'm also happy to hear you found your room to be in such good condition - I will definitely make a point to pass it on to our Housekeeping manager so we can recognize the associate that cleaned your room. I hope you have a chance to visit us again sometime soon! If you do, be sure to stop by the desk so we can suggest some tasty restaurants in the nearby area.

Until next time!
Raleigh, North Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 June 2014

I stayed here for a conference in June 2014. The hotel was reasonably priced (probably due to the group discount!) My room was excellent. The staff is very helpful and friendly. Room service was delivered on time. The location was convenient to see downtown! It is close to the theater as well as within walking distance to good restaurants.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Biian-

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us. I'm happy to hear you enjoyed your visit and found the staff to be friendly. It sounds like you were able to get out and enjoy some of the surronding areas as well; always an exciting part of any trip. I hope you have a chance to visit us again outside of business travel!

Thank you again for your review!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Minneapolis
Residence Inn Minneapolis Downtown at The Depot
The Hotel Minneapolis, Autograph Collection
The Westin Minneapolis
The Westin Minneapolis
#21 of 49 in Minneapolis
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,071 reviews
Embassy Suites by Hilton Minneapolis Downtown

Been to Renaissance Minneapolis Hotel, The Depot? Share your experiences!