“A pure gem” 5 of 5 bubbles

Tilia
Ranked #111 of 1,790 Restaurants in Minneapolis
Cuisines: American
Good for: Child-friendly, Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine
Dining options: Brunch, Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, After-hours, Full Bar, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
“A pure gem”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 June 2014

I live in the Tilia neighborhood and feel very spoiled. This restaurant is a true gem. I have several favorites: the Fish Taco Torta, mussels, butterscotch pot de creme and all the excellent beer choices to name a few. The food is so good, I get stuck on a few items and don't change it up until they change the menu! Then I have new favorites. Yes, parking is a drag (thankfully, I don't have to deal with that) and it is noisy but worth it.

• Visited June 2014

Minnesota
“Oh, the food! Oy! The noise!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 June 2014

Great, interesting food in a great location. Eat incredible fresh pea soup, the best fish taco sandwich ever, a creative desert, then walk around Lake Harriet on a summer evening. Heaven.
But, at least the night we went, the noise in the place was deafening. A small place, about forty people, how could they make so much noise? To be fair, there had been a private party for two hours. They were all drunk. Really attractive, having lots of fun, and yelling to each other across the room.
Was this unusual? we asked the host. "No, it's like this every night." Maybe he didn't hear the question. But if it's like that every night, we won't go back. Which is too bad, because the food, the service, and the servers are perfect.

Visited June 2014
1 Thank MnVan
Minneapolis, MN
“Nice dinner”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014

My first time trying it after hearing good things from others. We went on memorial day weekend, I was scared of the wait but we got a table within 15 minutes, so that was great.

Drinks - They have a great selection of some excellent beers on tap, including a number of my local personal favorites, so that was a great start! The friends we were with also raved about the house made ginger ale they had.

Food - for a starter I had the Spinach salad - wonderful. I will go back sit at the bar and have a beer and this salad in a heart beat. It had a warm bacon dressing and a perfectly cooked egg on top, so when I dug my fork into the egg the warm yolk oozed all over the salad, it was perfect, loved it. For dinner I had a small portion of one of the pastas, it was good and fresh tasting but a very very small portion, like literally 2-3 bites. Had I known it was that small I would have opted for the large. Also had the brussel sprouts as a side. They were not very good, they were overly charred to the point that about half of the dish wasn't edible. My wife had the Sole, it was cooked perfectly and tasty, but the sauce it was in was a little too salty.

Service - excellent, very friendly and prompt.

Overall it was a good meal, I will give it another shot and try some different entrees and definitely a different side, and for sure would love to go back at least for a beer and another wonderful spinach salad next time I'm in lovely Linden Hills!

Minneapolis, Minnesota
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“First & last meal here”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 May 2014

Came here for a special occasion. Despite the horror stories I've heard of the wait times, I've heard nothing but raves about the food, so have been wanting to try it for ages. Alas, what a waste of a celebration. Got there RIGHT after 5 on a week night & there were several tables open, so at least we didn't wait. Service was pleasant throughout, but...

Mussels weren't very fresh & the broth was so boring it wasn't worth spooning up; escargot had such a thick chewy layer of cheese that you couldn't taste anything else; asparagus had been peeled & cooked in so much lemon it tasted like zucchini; & my husband's stuffed pork was bland & a little underdone. Even the bread was so unremarkable I couldn't eat more than a piece, & that was mostly to choke down the mussels (& I LOVE bread). Dessert choices were too dull even to order.

My pasta with fiddleheads & ramps WAS very nice & springy, & there were some mushrooms with my husband's pork that were delicious, but considering the raves we've heard about this place, I was seriously nonplussed. Next time I'll save the trip & get a delicious meal at Eli's.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank themadblonde
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Delicious”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 May 2014

Potted beef, flatbread with mozzarella and cavatappi pasta dish all wonderful! Hostess suggested a Sancerre to go along with the meal-spot on wine! Desserts: panna cotta with lovely toppings if crunchy almonds, berries and mint and a creamy not cloyingly sweet butterscotch coure de creme topped with crime fraiche. Espresso completed a delightful shared lunch. Go for lunch to avoid the dinner line- same menu without the wait; although the wait is worth it.