“You have to try it”

The Bachelor Farmer
Reserve with OpenTable
The Bachelor Farmer is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #24 of 1,826 Restaurants in Minneapolis
Price range: US$18 - US$33
Cuisines: Scandinavian
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighbourhood: Warehouse District
Cross street: North First Street
Description: The Bachelor Farmer serves fresh and simple food that honors Minnesota's Nordic heritage.
Reviewed 10 August 2014 via mobile

We visited from Florida and my brother lives in the neighborhood so we thought we would give this place a try. We had to wait for a table for an hour and half but the staff more than made up for it. The food was fantastic and the eclectic drinks were wonderful. Try the breakfast whiskey! The food was fantastic and worth every second of the wait. The wait staff and bar staff were funny and welcoming and went way out if their way to make us feel welcome and "part of the family" especially Joseph. Great atmosphere, great food, great drinks and a great staff. How can you go wrong?

Reviewed 7 August 2014

What a delight from beginning to end! We were walk ins but , were quickly seated after spending some time at the bar. The bar tender was so accommodating a friendly, which proved to be the case for all wait staff. Some of the best service I've ever had! As I am Scandinavian I found the menu to be a loose interpretation of Scandinavian food, but none the less delicious! I will say that I find timing of each dish so incredibly important to a diner and BF were just spot on! The dishes came out neither too fast or too slow, giving you the time to enjoy everything but no so long that you are wondering where your food went...The charcuterie board is a must! If I had any negative feedback it would be that the desserts didn't quite live up to the rest of the experience...surprising since Scandinavian desserts are delicious in their simplicity. Dining room is great, intimate and cozy! Overall one of the best I've been to in a while!

Reviewed 6 August 2014

First of all, I have lived in the neighborhood for about a year and been to Marvel Bar a ton (like 1 to 2 times per week) and have had dinner here, but decided to try it for Brunch outside of our normal Smack Shack weekly visit. We heard to get there as close to 10 as possible because seating is first come, first serve. We arrived at 10:20am and were immediately seated. Our server came by, explained the "cart" and the items on it, gave us water and asked us for other beverages. We decided to go for a spicy bloody mary...mistake. In the most condescending voice, our server said, "No. We don't do bloody mary's." We should have left then, but decided to press on. We opted for 2 glasses of bubbles. Our server disappeared and I noticed the "cart" being wheeled around to other tables. Over 20 minutes later, our server returned with the cart.... a cute red cart filled with pastries that they had previously explained as well as were posted on the board. We declined a second time and just asked for bubbles. She then poured us two glasses from a bottle sitting on the cart and left again. Another 10 minutes and we got to order. Our appetizer came out fairly quickly and I have to say was delicious (though had no reference to "brunch" in the least). Our entrees took another 40 minutes after the appetizer, which is a bit ridiculous... to cook eggs. The entrees finally arrived, and again, the food was delicious. We finished off our bubbles and asked for the check. The entire experience took about 2 hours, cost over $120 (and our appetizers ended up being comped... I'm assuming because of the wait) and we left unsatisfied and still hungry. The food being delicious is the only reason this review gets 2 stars and not 1. I will clarify, after the condescending Bloody Mary comment, our server was nothing but over the top nice! However, it's brunch. Who doesn't serve a Bloody Mary at brunch? Any brunch restaurant from cheap to 5 star serves a Bloody Mary, so please don't make me feel stupid for asking for one. I will continue to visit Marvel bar, but The Bachelor Farmer is over for me.

1  Thank PShermanATL
Reviewed 5 August 2014

The Bachelor Farmer is doing what many other restaurants in MN are doing: respecting the ingredients and putting forward a small yet meaningful menu.
I had the eggs and summer squash, and was delighted to find so much flavor in some simple like onions. My husband's salmon was cooked perfectly, and this came as a surprise because most restaurants overcook their fish. My mother-in-law's pork chop was huge, but infused with flavor and was a joy to eat.
For dessert I had the buttermilk pannacota and strawberry sorbet. It was a dream! Our waiter, Joel, was knowledgeable and recommended great wine pairings. He was personable and made our stay comfortable.
I recommend making reservations prior to going to TBF, as it was fully occupied by the time we left. Also, some of their fresh items are in limited quantity, so book a table early in the evening!

Reviewed 5 August 2014

The restaurant brings everything from the farm to the table and it certainly tastes like it. Everything was fresh and well prepared. The vegetables were outstanding. Their appetizer board has some of the best pates that I've ever had - the duck pate is worth 5 stars.

Tried the lake herring and enjoyed the light preparation. Another member of the group had eggs with chard and summer veggies - it was delicious.

The bar in the lower level has an interesting array of vodkas too