“A Magical Magic Flute” 5 of 5 bubbles

8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“A Magical Magic Flute”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2014

The Magic Flute was innovative without losing the essence of the original opera. I was a bit disappointed in the singing of the Queen of the Night.
My only disappointment was I failed to listen to the music adequately. There was so much visual activity and wonderful singing, my senses failed to pay attention to the music.

Saint Paul, Minnesota
“Fabulous season for MN Opera”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 May 2014

I loved all of the productions this year. I especially enjoyed the re-imagining of Magic Flute. I liked Papageno as Buster Keaton, and his interactions with the cat. I wished the Queen of the Night would have been solid on her high notes.

Burnsville, United States
24 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 71 helpful votes
“OUTSTANDING ENTERTAINMENT: Mozart's "The Magic Flute"”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 April 2014

Mozart's "The Magic Flute" at the Ordway was the most charming and delightful opera I have ever attended. It was so melodramatic, artistic, and whimsical that I was fearful that I might be disturbing others due to my uproarious laughter throughout the performance. Watching it in the elegant Ordway brought back memories of Buster Keaton, the Wizard of Oz, Alice in Wonderland, Felix the Cat. Granted, I am an opera-going novice which may explain my unbridled enthusiasm, but my music-savvy friend who has seen six previous productions of "The Magic Flute" said found this nontraditional version uplifting and fun.

1 Thank Camille L
31 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 37 helpful votes
“Superb entertainment”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 February 2014

The music, the set, the voices, the emotion! This is truly a world class opera company. The theater is a bit smaller and more personal than many around the nation. I happen to really like the intimate feeling.

For those of you who may be curious about opera, don't worry about the opera being accessible, there are supertitles. Besides, it really is about the music and pageantry.

Visited September 2013
Bloomington, Minnesota
36 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 43 helpful votes
“First time opera ~ Great Venue”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 December 2013 via mobile

This was my first time at the Opera and it was something my sister and I had talked about trying for years. We saw Arabella and it was very nice. The Ordway is amazing and it really makes the experience special. The seats are much more comfortable than the Orpheum in Minneapolis! The performers were wonderful and the sets beautiful. It was in German, which I wouldn't choose again...even though I speak a little German...but would try it again in Italian. overall a wonderful, and special experience.

Visited November 2013