“Great view day or night!!”
Review of Foshay Tower

Foshay Tower
Ranked #24 of 227 things to do in Minneapolis
More attraction details
Owner description: After recent renovation, our museum and observation deck are now open seven days a week from 12:00pm-9:00pm. Weather permitting, both will be open year round.
Reviewed 16 April 2014

This is one of our favorite things to do with friends who visit Minneapolis, or who've never done much downtown. There's a nice little museum on the top floor, which explains the fascinating history of this building, which was finished in 1929, right before the market crash and the Great Depression. For quite a while, this was the only tall building West of the Mississippi River, and the tallest in Minneapolis. There are old, black and white photos of the Foshay Tower standing alone with NOTHING to rival it. Now it is dwarfed by many taller buildings. And yet, from the top, the view is still incredible. The entrance/lobby to the "W" hotel (called the W Living Room) has great character. It's a nice place to get a cocktail.
Note: Pay at the W Hotel lobby to go up to the museum and observation deck. There is a discount for groups of more than 4 (remember to ask, they didn't remind us). Kids love this, but it's a romantic spot for adults at night with the city all lit up. Seeing it in the day vs. the night are two very different experiences.

2  Thank Mantequia

Reviewed 8 April 2014

Fantastic history, wonderful foyer and a brilliant W Hotel. You must eat at Manny's Steak House - amazing and traditional restuarant.

Reviewed 15 January 2014

Back in the day, the Foshay Tower was the tallest building in Minneapolis. It was the first and for many years, actually from 1929 until 1972, the only skyscraper in Minneapolis. I remember it well, because as a Norwegian I had the occational errand to the Norwegian consulate which was situated there, a visit that was usually followed by a visit to Peter's grill. Alas, now they are both gone, and the Foshay Tower has now turned into a hotel, the W Minneapolis - The Foshay hotel. However, the rather grand Art Deco building still has retained many of its features of former splendor, such as Italian marble, hand wrought iron and gold-plated door knobs. Even if the building has dwindlet somewhat in comparison with the many newer and taller buildings that has been built since I left Minneapolis, there is one feature that I can really recommend: The View. The observation deck on the 30th floor is well worth a visit. I was there again this January, before they closed it due to severe cold, and the view was definately worth the money. ($5 for seniors). By the way, the ticket also gives you admission to the museum, you will find a nice little bit of Minneapolis history and of course about the tower itself.

5  Thank Weinacht
Reviewed 15 January 2014

My wife and I recently stayed at the Hyatt. While downtown we did visit the W hotel. We peaked in the Foshay Museum. I wish this is the hotel we would have booked. The service was amazing, The bar was hopping and Manny's is attached. I think there is a reason that Manny's moved from the Hyatt. I plan on doing the same my next visit.

1  Thank Aaron J
Reviewed 30 December 2013

The hotel where we were staying was just a couple blocks away. We enjoy a little history with any trip we take. This was a nice slice of Minneapolis history. From street level, you will walk through the main level of the hotel to purchase your ticket to the museum. It is fun to see the decorating within the building and preserved details such as the elevator doors. The museum doesn't take long, but do take time to listen to a few short videos available. You can control which ones you will listen, or if any. The video about renovating the building will have you appreciating the attention given during its renovation. We were there on a warmer clear day and you can see quite far from the observation deck.