“Horrible Housekeeping Practices”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Milwaukee
“Horrible Housekeeping Practices”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2014

This hotel is a a good location and is a fairly nice hotel, but I'm writing this review on less than 5 hours of sleep due to their housekeeping practices. I travel very regularly for business and have never experienced this. The house keeping starts knocking on doors early in the morning. Even if you have the do not disturb on your door you can clearly hear them pounding on the other doors and yelling, "HOUSEKEEPING." They also vacuum adjacent rooms with the doors open so it is impossible to sleep.

One strange aspect was on the date I was checking out, but hadn't yet checked out, they were still knocking (more like pounding) on my door around 8AM. What if I was out to a meeting or in the gym and came back to shower before checking out? Do they service the room twice? Does the next person check into a room with my dirty towels? This hotel needs to rethink their housekeeping practices, or maybe start them later in the day, say 9:00AM.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
Patrick C, Other at Loews Minneapolis Hotel, responded to this review, 7 August 2014
We always make sure that our rooms are spotless before welcoming another guest, but we appreciate your concern, Brandon. We're sorry that our housekeeping staff kept you awake -- that shouldn't have been the case, and we'll definitely check in with the entire team to make sure that they continue to be efficient yet discrete. Thanks for sharing this with us, and we hope to have another chance to leave you with a better impression during your next trip to Minneapolis.

Management

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (207)
Coon Rapids, Minnesota
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2014 via mobile

My wife and I decided to stay downtown for the Paul McCartney concert and chose this hotel. Staff was friendly, great time in the bar with drink prices as expected for downtown, and a very nice room. Great location for the concert at Target Field. But it had two things I don't like.
The first is more a personal preference: No ice machines and having to call room service to get it. When We wanted a quick drink before heading out, I don't like waiting 30 minutes for ice. It's a spur of the moment choice taken away by lack of easy access to ice. Not a deal breaker, probably just me.
The second issue is the reason I won't stay again. We left the room at 5 to get dinner and came back at 6 to get ready. I immediately noticed the ice bin I had been playing with was back in its place, the bed straightened backup and other things moved around. This truly creeped me out. We were out of the room for less than an hour. How did they know we were gone? Suddenly I had that feeling like we were being watched. To me, a hotel room is your personal space where you can unwind and relax. Staff members entering your room anytime made me uncomfortable and that relaxed feeling was gone. Maybe they thought this was value added and shows service above and beyond. I find it creepy. I'm not going to stay somewhere that makes me feel like that

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Scott B
Patrick C, Other at Loews Minneapolis Hotel, responded to this review, 5 August 2014
We understand, Scott -- waiting for ice can be a bit frustrating, especially if you're trying to get out the door quickly. We're sorry that we fell short in that regard, but it's even more disappointing that you were unhappy with our staff's tidiness.

Our housekeeping team routinely monitors each floor and is happy to straighten up our guests' rooms while they're out so they may come back to a welcoming suite. It seems that we came in during the exact window that you were gone, which we can assure you was purely coincidence. We feel that this is an added bonus to our suites and most of our guests rave about the attention to detail, so we recommend placing the "do not disturb" sign on your door if you'd prefer your room to remain as is. That said, we apologize for the misunderstanding, and we hope you'll give us another chance during your next stay in Minneapolis.

Minot, North Dakota
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2014

I have stayed at this hotel multiple times in the last two years. I am a manager of a #1 rated TripAdvisor hotel, so I am very critical of other properties. My property is an unfranchised boutique hotel, but I have worked at chain hotels in the past. I think it's important that people reading the recent reviews don't take them seriously for too long- re-branding a hotel (which I'm sure includes switching reservation systems, etc.) takes a little bit of time, but is temporary.

My recent stay at this hotel was a great one. All of the staff were extremely nice and very helpful. We reserved a Junior Suite, but was upgraded to the MVP Penthouse suite, which was a welcome surprise! I was able to check in a few hours before the designated check in time. I had ordered a bottle of chilled wine to be brought to my room at check in, which was prompt and perfect.

I had zero billing issues. People need to understand that your card is going to be authorized for your stay- this is temporary and won't actually process. While it's pending it looks like a charge, but it isn't. Hence why people think they are double charged...

Only thing that irritates me is that they use centralized reservations. I prefer speaking to an employee who is actually at the hotel- not being transferred multiple times.

GREAT LOCATION for downtown food, bars, Target Field, and First Avenue. Keep up the good work, and good luck on your rebranding process.

-Brittany Dittus

Room Tip: Ask if your room has a tub - you'll want to allot some time to spend in it, as they have TV'...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank Brittany D
Patrick C, Other at Loews Minneapolis Hotel, responded to this review, 25 July 2014
We couldn't have asked for kinder words! It's so rewarding to know that you were this impressed with your stay, Brittany, especially considering your years in our industry. On behalf of the entire team, thank you very much for taking the time to sing our praises. We hope you'll keep us in mind during your next trip to Minneapolis!

Atlanta
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2014

Very nice hotel, but I just got off the elevators and I feel like I've absorbed the smell of stale urine into my clothes. Seriously, I think whoever sold this property to Loews was angry for some reason and dumped gallons of piss into the elevator shafts. It doesn't matter what elevator you take, they all smell like piss.
When I went to alert the guy at the front desk to this smell, I asked "do you guys ever hear that your elevators smell horrible?" the valet guy(who works for the hotel!!) next to him immediately replied in broken English "ya, dey smell like yorin"

Seriously, this is a critical issue. If I were management, I would take any steps necessary to correct this ASAP!

Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank jalex2003
We're very sorry to hear about this, and we apologize if you felt your comments went unheard. We have yet to receive any similar complaints, but we will certainly look into this immediately. Thank you for your candor.

Lavallette, New Jersey
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 July 2014

Booked and paid for a room for two nights via Hotels.com and apparently were charged a second time by (what was then) Graves 601. So they charged us almost $1000 for a stay of two nights in a room which cost just over $200.

It would seem fairly straightforward that two people being charged twice for the same two nights in the same room is a simple and simply-remedied error, but not so. Emailed them and received no reply. Called them and the handover to Loews means they don't have all the necessary records to find and check our details. Will have to wait a further 24 hours to hear from billing although I was told they are calling people in the order in which the enquiries were received, so I hope that doesn't mean a longer wait.

The stay at the hotel was fine, but failing to reply to a billing enquiry for three days is not.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank HANH47
Patrick C, Other at Loews Minneapolis Hotel, responded to this review, 16 July 2014
It's unfortunate that we are unable to remedy this in a more timely manner. As you mentioned, we're doing everything we can to resolve this, but we have to work in a chronological order at the moment. We can completely understand your frustration, and we hope that we'll be able to get to the bottom of this soon. Until then, thank you for your candor.

London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 July 2014

Lovely hotel; great location and beautiful rooms. But I paid in advance via Expedia. And then the hotel charged my credit card again for my stay. Still waiting for them to respond to my query about this 3 days ago.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Algernonandon
We're terribly sorry that we are unable to resolve this in a more timely manner. At the moment, we're currently working to remedy these issues in the order in which inquiries were received, but we're doing everything we can to complete these tasks as quickly as possible. Still, we completely understand your frustration, and we'll continue working hard to make this right.