“Cuban classic in Minneapolis!”
Review of Victor's 1959 Cafe

Victor's 1959 Cafe
Reserve with OpenTable
Victor's 1959 Cafe is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #40 of 1,806 Restaurants in Minneapolis
Cuisines: Cuban
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: West 38th Street
Transit: We are on the corner of West 38th Street and Grand Ave South in Minneapolis. Both streets are major bus lines.
Minnesota
“Cuban classic in Minneapolis!”
Reviewed 12 July 2014

What I love about Victors is that they aren't afraid to do something different. We spent a month in Costa Rica eating fried yucca, plantains, rice, and beans. The yucca and plantains are hard to find in Minneapolis! But not at Victors. Victors takes fresh ingredients and mixes things together that many American restaurants don't dare to try. The building is small so expect a wait if you plan to eat inside. We arrived on a Friday evening around 5:45 and were able to sit on the patio immediately. They have a very interesting breakfast menu that I need to try very soon. I would eat here again in a heartbeat as I hard time picking what I wanted to try. The service was quick and friendly. My mom is a typical picky Scandinavian eater even liked it too!!

• Visited July 2014
1 Thank MinnesotaNicci

San Francisco, California
“Favorite Place for Cuban in the TC”
Reviewed 11 July 2014

Victor’s is right in the middle of the Kingfield neighborhood, with residential buildings next door. The place was actually originally a gas station that was converted to a restaurant and then eventually Victor’s in 1999, but it is known and loved by locals. It is a great foil to The Corner Table, another Kingfield restaurant - instead of classed up local fare, this place goes full-on dive to serve up Cuban comfort food - but both deliver all kinds of deliciousness in their own right.

There’s a small patio in the front that’s great in the summer for brunch. Inside, there are a handful of booths and a small bar. Victor’s also conveniently offers reservations, if you’re worried their limited seating will be full when you want to go. I arrived relatively early for dinner and being a weekday, I think that made me the first person there for the evening. I’m pretty sure I was greeted by one of the owners, who was sitting at the bar and was very friendly.

Walking further in you can see that the walls and booths are covered in tags and notes from visitors over the years. I think the eclectic decor puts you in exactly the right state of mind to enjoy what’s coming next.

Being the first one there, I was given a special surprise – the owner who greeted me at the door kindly decided to offer me a plate of fruit and avocado that the chef was experimenting with for a new menu item, which was a pretty awesome way to kick things off! It was happy hour, so I also got a $4 tropical mimosa to start. I chose the guanabana, which was described accurately as a cross between pear and pineapple.

Once my dining companions joined me, they ordered the other two flavors – mango and guava and ordered a couple of appetizers. We decided on the crab cakes, which was a new menu item. One of my companions is in love with the Cuban toast with guava jam, which is typically served for breakfast, but the server and chef were nice enough to let us order some with dinner, too. Each one of the entrees we ordered was also featured on Guy Fieri’s Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives (the clip is also posted on the restaurant’s website). I think Guy accurately describes the deliciousness that ensues with each bite. I’ve also previously ordered a couple of their shrimp dishes with fried plantains, which were very tasty from memory. Each entree is about $10-15 and is easily enough on its own, so this is a great deal!

• Visited April 2014
1 Thank GastronomicPortions
Louisville, KY
“I want to go back”
Reviewed 1 July 2014 via mobile

Stopped in Minneapolis on a cross-country trip to visit friends, and they selected Victor's for us all to have dinner. A brightly painted one-story corner building in a middle class neighborhood, Victor's is a popular place, and we were fortunate to get a booth upon arrival. Markers are left on every table, and patrons are invited to write on any available surface in the restaurant, resulting in a unique decor. The wine list is short but well chosen with decent value. The menu is fairly extensive and filled with authentic Cuban dishes. We all enjoyed the fooed, wine, and service. I want to go back the next time we are in town.

• Visited June 2014
1 Thank Louavull
Victoria, Mn
“Victor's 1959. Cuban at it best”
Reviewed 28 June 2014 via mobile

Outstanding food . Breakfast served well into the afternoon. Beer and wine . But food chooses second to none in Mpls. And vegetarian choose available. A great dining experience.

Visited June 2014
Rochester, Minnesota
“A Favorite Place”
Reviewed 10 June 2014

Victor's is a food and life experience. Small, neighborhood-type place with graffiti-covered walls AND wonderful Cuban food.

• Visited June 2014