“Damn good pizza!”

Ranked #186 of 1,794 Restaurants in Minneapolis
Price range: US$15 - US$20
Cuisines: Italian, Pizza
Good for: Child-friendly, Cheap Eats
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Damn good pizza!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 July 2014

This was my second trip to Pizza Nea. I had fabulous pizza the first time there and was hesitant to go again in case the memory of that first trip would be quashed. Never fear, the second trip was just as memorable.

I took my son both times and he loves the pizza as much as I do. In fact, when we got our order and began enjoying it I asked him what, if anything, would improve the pizza. Crust? Sauce? Cheese? We could not think of one thing that would have improved our perfect pizza.

The crust is firm and doesn't have those burnt bottom pieces that can kill the bite. The sauce is light and flavorful, the amount of cheese is just right, and the toppings are all flavorful. Especially the olives...oh my gosh...bursts of flavor if you like olives.

The waitress was cheery and friendly and efficient. And I also recommend the salads. They are not on par with those found in fine restaurants, but this is a pizza joint and the salads are fresh and satisfying nonetheless. I had the Caesar this time and it was just the right amount of dressing and cheese. Not at all drippy like other restaurants I've been to.

Good wine selection also. I did not check out the beers so can't comment on that.

• Visited July 2014

Lakeville, Minnesota
“Great Place for Kids”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2014 credit card Amex Cardmember Review

Took my 3 1/2 year old daughter there and they occupied her time with pizza dough. She was able to play with it! She wants to go back!

Visited June 2014
St. Paul
“Salsicce forever!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 April 2014

The salsicce pizza is the best! The crust and sauce are top notch at Pizza Nea. It's my favorite pizza place in the Twin Cities and I've tried a lot of them. The verde salad is really good too. Add a glass a wine and some friends and you've got a wonderful night.

• Visited January 2014
1 Thank MEK9992013
Twin Cities, MN
“Top Shelf Pizza”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 April 2014

Pizza Nea is located a short distance over the Hennepin Avenue bridge from downtown Minneapolis. It's mixed in with national and regional chain restaurants and some other independents. The place is small and informal. It's easy to drive past because of the narrow storefront. Finding it is easy because it's directly across the street from Sturdyk's Liquor store.

The old yellow brick walls give the place an old world feeling but the place is very modern and clean. The walls are decorated with painting of Minneapolis landmarks. The relaxed atmosphere starts at the door where you are greeted with a "seat yourself" sign. One waiter handles all of the tables and the stainless steel kitchen counter bar curves around the brick oven. The kitchen bar is a great place to sit for a pizza making show.

There are only two drawbacks to this place. First, parking is a pain. Drive around and find a meter. Lots are scarce. Second, Pizza Nea serves only beer and wine adult beverages. The bottled beer and wine selection is moderate but the choices are good. Two tap beers are available and they change regularly. Both choices are seasonally appropriate. Last night's choices were an IPA and a wheat beer. The IPA was terrific.

The waiter was a tall, lanky hipster with a funky haircut, trendy glasses and meticulously rolled up sleeves that gave him that much fussed over informal look. He knew the menu and was an enthusiastic fan of the food. He also kept the water glasses full and the table cleared of unnecessary plates and glasses.

We started with the Sumi Misto, an assortment of imported and domestic meats, a small piece of Bleu cheese and three pieces of bread. Fortunately, only three of us split the dish so there was no fighting over the bread. Our fourth wheel did not arrive until later. The meats were a hard salami, prosciutto ham and bologna. I haven't had bologna since grade school but this isn't the Oscar Meyer sausage your mamma packed for you. The lard chunks were huge and looked like delicious flakes of white chocolate. The salami was hard and oily, the way is should be, and the prosciutto was mild. The Bleu cheese piece was tiny, but packed with flavor. A small crumb of cheese went beautifully with the meats without overpowering them.

The pizzas are moderately sized (14 inch), thin crust, Neapolitan style wheels of fresh ingredients baked in a hot brick oven that leaves the dough light, dry, crispy, and singed on the bottom. The choices of ingredient combinations is both traditional and unusual. My son had eggplant on his pizza and loved it. My wife had the Salsicce pizza with spicy Italian sausage. It is spicy. This sausage fills your mouth with heat without being overbearing and then lets loose with subtle herbs and finishes with fennel. You'll feel like you were kissed hard by Jessica Rabbit at her steamiest. I had the Scampi Gamberi pizza with shrimp, onions, garlic, mozzarella and Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese. The garlic came though without overpowering the other ingredients. The shrimp consisted of small chunks of large shrimp. Every bite had a piece of shrimp. The saltiness of the cheeses and the shrimp pushed back against the assertive garlic and the balance was perfect.

We sat in this place for about two hours. There is an unhurried atmosphere in this place and people sat and talked for a while after their meals.

We had four pizzas, one appetizer, three beers and three glasses of wine for C-note plus tip and it was some of the best pizza in the twin cities.

• Visited April 2014
1 Thank Dead Skunk S
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Great visit, great pizza”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 February 2014

This was our first trip to Pizza Nea. We had a groupon for 2 pizzas and 2 wine/beer. We had the Capricciosa and Siciliana pizzas, with a moscato wine. Both pizzas had great flavor and the wine was sweet, which I like. Our server was very pleasant and helped me decide which wine to choose as I'm not a wine drinker. She was patient and did a great job recommending, even letting me sample a pinot grigio before deciding on the moscato.

We finished both pizzas (leftovers? what leftovers?). We liked the quaint little place and while they were packed, we didn't have to wait long at all for our pizzas. I did notice on our drive in that Punch Neapolitan (just a few doors down) had a line out their door with approximately 20-30 people waiting. We may have to check that out next time...

Overally, we highly recommend this for couples.

Visited February 2014