“Even with Prom Night”
Review of Cafe Lurcat

Cafe Lurcat
Reserve with OpenTable
Cafe Lurcat is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #19 of 1,812 Restaurants in Minneapolis
Price range: US$21 - US$30
Cuisines: American
Good for: Groups, Romantic, Bar Scene, Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Wisconsin
“Even with Prom Night”
Reviewed 13 May 2014

We just had our first event at Cafe Lurcat this past Saturday. 16 people in our party. I have to say I have never met a more accommodating team. The hosts made sure we had space for a double stroller for three month old twins. The waitress' made sure we were taken care of in every thing we asked. The biggest standout was how we knew they were really backed up in the kitchen due to numerous graduation dinners and prom night all at once. We enjoyed overlooking the park and all the prom limos unloading in front of us was like watching a parade. We were there for 4 hours and they were the best. 4 courses, drinks, etc. Each dish expertly prepared to perfection. Well worth the prices. Congratulations for a job well done!

• Visited May 2014

Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Always a sure bet in Mpls”
Reviewed 12 May 2014

Went for dinner last night. Bonus, it was date night. Where else can you get a bottle of wine, 2 starters, 2 entrees and 2 desserts for $50?!?! I had the corn crepe with cambozola and mushrooms, fabulous. The udon noodles for dinner, the orange was not overpowering as I worried. Their doughnuts for dessert are always a favorite. We had a good server, although he disappeared with the last bit of white wine so that's why 4 and not 5 stars. The dining room is scenic, with views of Loring Park and open spaces.

• Visited May 2014
Los Angeles, California
“Friendly uber cuisine. ”
Reviewed 25 April 2014 via mobile

Location is good.
Bar is large and bright with all the large windows.
Staff are extremely polite, friendly and professional.
All the foods we had were very delicious. Mine was the signature dish, Chilean fish was great. I recommend this place highly.

Minneapolis, Minnesota
“A Bit of NY in Mpls.”
Reviewed 21 April 2014

I always feel like I am in NY when I eat here. The restaurant is just lovely; the old building is so rambling and nicely decorated, and many of the tables overlook the park. Loring Park is a pretty area and there is often something going on. The food is terrific, very nicely prepared and varied enough to be interesting, but not crazy adventuresome. Really an elegant, topnotch place. Somehow it gets lost in the jumble of Mpls. "foodie" restaurants, maybe because it is part of the D'Amico group, but it shouldn't be overlooked. It has it all, ambiance, assured service and really nicely prepared food.

• Visited April 2014
Twin Cities, MN
“Good Eats”
Reviewed 20 April 2014

Lurcat has been feeding the well healed masses for some time. The old building across from Loring Park is packed with cool urbane decor and a professional staff. Presently, Minneapolis is in its ugly, gray, dirty winter to spring transition so the park is not much to look at. The replacement of the curbs across the street from Lurcat does nothing to enhance the view. Come summer time, assuming the construction is complete, it has one of the best views in the twin cities.

Parking is scarce. Valet parking ($8.00 plus tip) is the easiest way to go. A steady stream of luxury cars comes and goes.

We were seated in the main dinning room upon arrival. The table was next to the kitchen and we asked to be moved. We were then seated in the private dining room that had some open tables. This private room was loud. Our waiter apologized for the volume and attributed it to several "lively" groups in the room. The crowd was not particularly lively. Instead, they looked like the types who got bullied in high school but now wear their blue jeans too high, tuck in their shirt tails when they relax and tote women who are attracted to big bucks and the health club & salon lifestyle. Management, bankers, actuaries and accountants. The bar crowd is more relaxed and easygoing.

We and our waiter had trouble hearing each other and there was lots of "leaning in" but we got our drinks. Our waiter is an old soul who has been in this game a long time, however, a new bar manager has changed things around and the waiter had to go ask about my Tequila selections. They were out of my first choice but they had a decent number of good Tequilas of from which to choose. My wife liked her wine and the selection is good.

I got the beef tartar and my wife got the apple salad for starters. My wife did not like the apple salad because she did not like the sheep milk cheese in it. It reminded her of Blue cheese, which she hates, but I thought it was great. The waiter took it back and took it off the bill. The tartar came in four little balls with a sun dried tomato, black olive and quinoa. This is a non traditional presentation and the sweetness of the tomato competes with the beef. It was good, but I prefer the more traditional beef with a sunny side up egg yoke.

For dinner my wife had Sea Bass. It was fresh, flaky and perfectly broiled with a bit of char on top. The miso provided a great juicy accompaniment to the fish. My Seared Ahi with lemon confit and ponzu was terrific. The steak comes sliced and the ponsu added a nice, salty touch. The steak was on the thin side and left the meat cooked a bit more than my preference. I like it raw in the middle and this was pink. The seasoning was excellent.

For desert we had the warm blueberry spice cake with huckleberry ice cream. It was great. I've never had huckleberry before, but I like it. The ice cream, the cake and the blueberries go great together.

The service was top shelf. Fresh utensils with each course, attention to bread and water glasses and the waiters fold your napkin while you're away in the restroom. Our waiter knew the menu and was able to describe items in great detail.

• Visited April 2014