“New chef, good food, poor service.”
Review of Jewel of India

Jewel of India
Ranked #785 of 1,840 Restaurants in Minneapolis
Price range: US$0 - US$30
Cuisines: Indian
Good for: Groups
Neighbourhood: Cedar-Riverside
Reviewed 18 July 2013

Family owned restaurant. You will probably find the owner sitting around. Ever since the old manager left, the service has gone downhill. The daughter of the owner is managing the restaurant who provides extremely poor service. I hope they will figure out the loss and get the old manager back....or at least train the current management to provide service.

1  Thank S C

Reviewed 15 July 2013

I really wanted to give this restaurant a better review because the food is very good. It would have been better, however, if our plates hadn't been standing under the warming lights for half an hour. This caused the chicken to be very dry.

My complaint is about the service. It was an hour after ordering that we finally received our food. There were only two other tables occupied in the restaurant, and they already were eating. We were informed after a half-hour's waiting that the food would be late in coming out. I asked if we could at least have our soup (we had ordered a dinner for two, containing several different dishes). The soup didn't come out until at the very end of the service. The water was never refilled. No one came over at any time to check on us. The bill came to $48. We paid with a $50 bill. The change returned was $12, with an apology that we were owed $2 more but they didn't have any more dollar bills. We explained the error to a very perplexed waitress, who seemed to have had difficulty understanding her duties the whole night.

Reviewed 8 May 2013

I dined at Jewel of India on a business trip with five other people. Overall, I would rate this as an above-average Indian restaurant on the basis of the food. The table ordered mixed appetizers, which were very tasty (excellent pakoras) and came with several chutneys; we also had nan bread which was on par with other good Indian restaurants. I ordered the lamb vindaloo, level spicy (there are three heat levels), and I broke a sweat--it wasn't authentic Indian vindaloo from the heat perspective, which knocks most Americans' heads off, but just hot enough to make you feel it without being uncomfortable. Nothing here struck me as below-par. The restaurant serves beer and wine, including large bottles of Indian beer, as well as mango lassis and other drinks. Prices are on par with most Indian restaurants, around $10-12 per entree, $4.95 for samosas and other appetizers, $8 for wine. Service was attentive, though there were not many diners at the time. Decore is simple and open. Overall, worth a visit.

Reviewed 4 October 2012

I was staying at the Holiday Inn Metrodome for a few nights this past week and found myself craving Indian food... luckily this 'Jewel' was just across the street.
It was so good that I went there EVERY night for dinner. I tried a variety of items on the menu and every one was good - perfect level of spice and excellent presentation (small metal bowls for the rice and a separate tray/plate for the curry/main item). The invitation was to have as many re-fills of rice as you wanted. I find that I get filled up so quickly that I can only manage one bowl. The chicken and beef selections were generous portions of meat (some Indian restaurants use the 'mangiest' cuts of meat that you end up chewing on fatty curry... not pleasant!). For one particular dish, I was served an entire boneless chicken breast. It was awesome.
I'd highly recommend this restaurant - my only critique was the one night that the server (likely a university student) didn't seem to know much about the menu and couldn't field my questions. The other nights I was there - the owner, I think - served me and he was very knowledgeable and friendly.
The only other thing I'd say is that the menu kind of overwhelms you. There must be 30 or more different dishes to choose from. I wondered if it was too many and found myself and noticed that others around me had a hard time choosing the right one. I'm sure that Chef Ramsey would have something to say about it.
If I'm in Minneapolis again, I'd definitely go back.

Reviewed 24 July 2012

The food here is excellent and they have pretty good selection of vegetarian/vegan dishes. It was definitely some of the best Indian food I've had - ever. Service was pretty good. It's located across from the Holiday Inn where I was staying, and was a much welcome change from all the pubs in the area.