“Delicious food, friendly service”
Review of Hamdi Restaurant

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Hamdi Restaurant
Ranked #1,168 of 1,800 Restaurants in Minneapolis
Cuisines: African
Chicago, Il.
“Delicious food, friendly service”
Reviewed 13 October 2013 via mobile

We were staying at the Sheraton Midtown. My husband and son had lunch here and enjoyed it. Tender goat, flavorful salmon, friendly service. I have found generally in Minneapolis that the ethnic restaurants are much better than the hipster, too precious by half, locavore, vegan whatever places. So, Hamdi may not look like much, but you will get a delicious meal at a very reasonable price.

Visited October 2013
1 Thank follylover

St. Paul, MN
“Great food, nice people”
Reviewed 9 November 2012

After a mission trip to Africa, my little blond haired, blue eyed 9 yr old boy was craving "goat meat". I certainly don't know how to cook that, so asked my Somali friends where to go. They suggested Hamdi.
They told me what to order, and I went in to get "take out" for my family. Not knowing Somali culture, as a caucasian woman I went in the wrong door on the male side of the restaurant and sat there the entire time while my meal was being prepared to take home. The men clearly knew I was breaking custom, but offered me tea (for free) while I waited, which was DELICIOUS! Cinnamon, cardamon, other spices....yum! No one made me feel uncomfortable, they just chatted as usual. It wasn't until I stood to pay that I saw the other side of the restaurant where the women and children were sitting. Oops! As I said, the men were gracious and the food was beyond amazing. And yes, my son thoroughly enjoyed his goat meat!

Visited December 2011
3 Thank karajake
Apple Valley, Minnesota
“Authentic and delicious!”
Reviewed 3 November 2012

This is truly authentic Somali food. I've eaten there 5 or 6 times and am usually the only non-Somali diner there. My favorite is the goat plate, a large plate of slow-roasted tender chunks of goat meat which need to be eaten by hand off of the goat bones, $9.00. The salmon is also very tasty. Each comes with a plate of flavorful rice and a lettuce salad. Optional hot sauce and lime wedges are served. You can order fresh squeezed mango juice and a wonderful spiced hot tea, sweet and delicious with or without hot milk. This place is right next door to the very popular and sometimes overcrowded and noisy Midtown Global Market. Today I couldn't find a seat in the market and had Hamdi all to myself. 20 minutes later it was filled with Somalis eating and cheering for a soccer match on television. I haven't found a better location for the authentic Somali experience!

• Visited November 2012
1 Thank gleneatswell
St. Paul,MN
“A taste of Somolia”
Reviewed 18 January 2012

We ended up going there as we had a coupon from resteraunts.com(which Hamdi has said they do not do business with and will not except).
We walked in to a empty outdated resteraunt in the ghetto. A few local Somolians were there. However, we decided to try different ethnic groups each week, and this week was Somolian.
The menu was simple and consisted of about 8 dishes. We wanted to try goat, however they were out. Our server who did his best to speak english, asked my husband what he wanted to drink and my husband misunderstood, thinking he was asking about sauces for his chicken, so he said he would go with the mango(it was the only word he understood).
So at our table arrives two huge glasses of Mango juice. I was never asked what I wanted to drink. I started thinking this was part of their custom.
So i ordered some steak stuff and he ordered chicken stuff.
It came with a seperate, full, heaping plate of very good yellowish rice. The steak stuff came with vegtables, and broccoli. This was very, very good and flavorful.
We had a choice between, rice, flatbread, and spagetti to go with our meals. After our meal we were brought a hot tea that was excellant. It was kinda spicy but sweet and very good.
At the end we gave them our coupon from resteraunt.com and they said they do not offer it and tried it for a week as a week promotion and cancelled it, but resteraunt.com is still selling them.
So the manager, still gave us 50% off our bill, which I thought was a very good decision....and great food.
We would good back or sure.

• Visited January 2012
1 Thank Kellz25
A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“The first time we tried...”
Reviewed 13 November 2007

The first time we tried this restaurant it was great but the following two times were not good at all.

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook