“Flip a Coin for a free drink”

No photo provided
Cuisines: Mexican
Neighbourhood: University / Dinkytown
Neighbourhood: University / Dinkytown
Saint Paul, Minnesota
“Flip a Coin for a free drink”
Reviewed 20 May 2014 credit card Amex Cardmember Review

Great burrito. Makes Chipotle look like McDonalds....oh wait they own part of Chipotle. Anyways a great selection and even better employees who are always upbeat and fun. I would not hesitate to recommend Burrito Loco to anyone I meet because it is that good. Make sure to see what the daily special is because most of the time it is free.

Visited May 2014
1 Thank Bob O

Twin Cities, MN
“College Cuisine.”
Reviewed 23 April 2014

Burrito Loco has two personalities. Earlier in the evening, the downstairs room is crowded with young college students filling up on huge burritos and beer for a reasonable price and the upstairs bar is empty except for those few that want wine or mixed drinks. Only beer and soft drinks are served downstairs. Later in the night, the upstairs bar gets packed and the downstairs empties out except for a few late night eaters.

The place is a little dumpy as are most places where college kids hang out in large numbers. The down stairs is a bit like a small Chipotle. You get your food at a counter and follow it down the line as you decide what ingredients you want wrapped in your large tortilla. At the end, they wrap it in foil, you pay for it and then you find a place to eat it. Unlike Chipotle, there's no pretense about the ingredients being special, from happy animals, or environmentally friendly. It's your typical huge burrito for the college student budget and it contains twice as many calories as any middle age person should consume in one sitting. They are tasty. My wife ordered the nachos. A huge pile of chips, meat, beans and cheese. The menu calls for two sides which aren't really sides since they come on top of the nacho pile. My wife, never satisfied with the ordinary, wanted four or five sides. The food preparer did not know what to do when my wife pushed back against his two item warning with her "I want more sides. Just charge me for it." Apparently, college kids don't talk back and demand more because they are either unwilling or unable to pay for it. A backbone is not included in the tuition. She got all the sides she wanted and she loved it.

Us old farts were there because our son's friend celebrated her 21st birthday and she invited us. We felt a bit out of place and we were clearly older--much older--than the rest of the crowd. For the birthday girl, it was a great deal. She brought at least five friends so she got to drink for free (limit 5 drinks). Burrito bouncers do a diligent job checking IDs and only those 21 and older can go upstairs. This creates a demand for fake IDs. The highlight of the night happened while I was having a smoke outside and a young man asked me if I wanted to buy a fake ID. I turned and put my mid 50's, gray bearded mug in his face and said: "Sure. I'm dying to try the senior special and Denny's." The entire patio erupted with laughter as the miscreant took off running and embarrassed.

My wife and I were the only patrons who were not carded when we went upstairs. The upstairs was jammed, the music was loud and the kids were crazy. I miss college. Time to cash out and go home. We have to work tomorrow. Mortgage, tuition, car payment.....

• Visited April 2014
1 Thank Dead Skunk S
Maisons-Alfort, France
“Lovely cheapo beers....student bar!!!”
Reviewed 20 January 2014

I spent here many Saturday when I was a student in Minneapolis...loved it....you could get a pint for 1 buck and a jug of chicken wings for a couple of dollars!!!! great!!! Free popcorn machine!!!

• Visited October 2013
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Bad service, great food and specials”
Reviewed 30 October 2013 credit card Amex Cardmember Review

Weeknight specials are awesome here, order a pitcher or a mug of beer and get food for free! The quesadillas are great.

Visited September 2013
“Best wings in town.”
Reviewed 13 August 2013 via mobile

This place may appear like a college dive....ok, so it is, but it is still a fun place to grab beers before a gopher game. The downstairs burrito line rivals chipotleand you can't beat Wednesday night trivia with dj Steve .always a good deal and a great value.

• Visited May 2013