“Good buffet brunch”
Review of al Vento

al Vento
Reserve with OpenTable
al Vento is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #71 of 1,862 Restaurants in Minneapolis
Price range: US$9 - US$30
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, After-hours, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: 50th Street
Transit: 50th & Hiawatha LRT
Reviewed 30 September 2013 via mobile

Nice selection of choices with a pasta, 2 egg dishes, salmon, salads, desserts with chocolate fountain. Cheeses were a high point. They do a good job keeping replenished and keeping warm. Only downside for me was ambience: outside was loud and underdecorated, inside was dark

Reviewed 29 September 2013

The best are better at the basics than the rest of us. That is an understanding that I've long held with athletes and also applies to restaurants. If a restaurant gives due attention to their basics, the result will be apparent. For our anniversary we ate at Al Vento where I ordered pork tenderloin with polenta. My previous experience of polenta really was as a utility, as a commodity, as: Meh. At Al Vento, the polenta became the headliner of the meal. It is extraordinary! The menu should bill it as polenta and pork tenderloin rather than the other way around. My wife had spaghetti and meat balls because she says the meatballs are the best she has ever had. Again, when a place takes care of the basics, the result will be apparent.

1  Thank Ron W
Reviewed 23 September 2013

I recently went to Al Vento for a girls dinner out and the atmosphere is great and the wine fantastic! They have a wonderful selection of wines and we were there on a night that the certain bottle of red we ordered was 1/2 price. We sat on their new patio and while it's loud, it is a neat place to sit. Our server was friendly, helpful and on top of it.

I have been there a few times and the one thing I will say, their food is FULL of flavors to the point that it's too much. Many of the items have tons of garlic and you will find that you will tasted garlic until the next day. Also, there seems to be a very high sodium content in many of the dishes, enough so that it's worth commenting on. I understand when you eat out that you indulge and enjoy yourself, but wow. Every time I go I feel like I can taste it until the next day.

Something to be aware of!

Reviewed 21 September 2013

My husband and I stopped in for dinner and were delighted to learn that wine was half price on selected bottles between 4:30 and 6:00. There is a nice selection of Italian wines as well as other countries. We tried two of the bruschetta choices-- $2 off during happy hour -- brussel sprouts with honey goat cheese and Burrata and sweet corn--so amazing! Such great combinations of flavors! For my main course I chose the Pappardelle with braised duck leg ragu and Stickney Hills goat cheese. It was awesome and a huge portion. My husband had the Bucatini all'amatriciana with pancetta tomato and chili flake. He likes spicy dishes but said that this one was really firey! We wanted to try the Saffron risotto with scallops, crimini mushroom, heirloom tomato and sweet corn but will save that for another time. I'm sure it will be as delicious as both of our entrees.

Reviewed 14 September 2013

Al Vento has been a great place to go to over and over since it opened years ago. I have taken advantage of their Tuesday night date night multiple times (4 courses for $20 per person), as well as their half price drinks before 6pm. I have been there on romantic dinners, as well as with the entire family (small children included) and on business and have never been disappointed. Their mussels are tasty and their Caesar salad incredibly garlicky (which I love). Their pasta with duck leg ragu, the amatriciana and their linguine with seafood are all great. I recommend leaving some room for dessert. The ice-cream is homemade and its taste is rich and defined. Their creme brûlée is also worth ordering. Service is attentive and knowledgeable. I am glad Al Vento is in my neighborhood!