“A Little Pricy, But Good Food”
Review of Purple Onion

Purple Onion
Ranked #11 of 115 Coffee & Tea in Minneapolis
Neighbourhood: University / Dinkytown
Neighbourhood: University / Dinkytown
Reviewed 7 May 2013

I find Purple Onion to be a little pricy for the amount of food that you get, especially in a college area, but the food is really good. I love their mandarin orange salad, and I'm not a big fruit in the salad kind of person. One odd thing I noticed is that sometimes they aren't consistent. I ordered a sandwich on Ciabatta bread once, and got more like a square Ciabatta bun, but then the next time I came it was more like cut bread. Quite frankly, I preferred the thick chewy bun, though the slice of bread was probably better for me.

Watch the tiny sign at the register. They charge more if you use your credit card.

Also if I remember right, they have an odd selection of drinks, while I appreciate the Peach Snapple Tea, I don't recall sodas - but they are also a coffee shop, so that might explain it.

Reviewed 3 September 2012

good food, good price, good service. This restaurant was recommended by our hotel front desk. It was close, easy to find and had a nice patio we ate on. Local police were there also enjoying a snack. Several college kids came and went during our breakfast - and college staff too. It's clearly a popular place for quick snacks or full meals. Nice atmosphere inside too. There were local papers available to browse for free. Some staff were clearly college students getting their first taste at employment - good for them!

Reviewed 30 August 2012

We come here every year & love the breakfasts & coffee, Lots of college kids. Parking isn't great, lots of public transportation. Breakfast specials are great.

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
Reviewed 13 June 2008

New place feels too slick. Just ok coffees.

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
Reviewed 6 February 2008

I liked going to the previous location better.

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook