“Great stay!”

Ranked #19 of 49 Hotels in Minneapolis
Minneapolis, MN
“Great stay!”
Reviewed 13 November 2011

My wife and I spent a recent night at the Le Meridien Chambers. It was a very nice, smaller hotel. The room was an architects dream! We have stayed at all of the downtown Minneapolis Starwood hotels (except the Aloft). The classic room was simple, but the attention to detail in the design was evident. It is not flashy or quirky like the W, not as comfy as the Hotel Ivy, and not as warm as the Westin. One downside of the hotel is that there are a fair number of rooms without much of a view. Ours looked out on an alley with another building close, so we kept our window blinds closed for most of the time. The location is great - right across from the Orpheum and Brave New Workshop. We ate at the D'Amico Kitchen in the hotel and it was fantastic (see my other review). One suggestion - we parked in a City of Minneapolis parking ramp (garage) next to the hotel for the night at the total sum of $5. It wasn't the most active ramp on the weekend night - typically we have parked at the City ramp beneath the Hilton when we do overnights. As I said, the room was simple, but attractive. My wife thought it was too "white" and needed some splash of color to liven it up and make it more warm. Service was good, rate was good, and it was the perfect quiet evening away!

Room Tip: I may recommend the "Deluxe" room instead of the "classic" rooms. I am assuming...
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jumbo789

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (106)
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 13 October 2011

Normally, Le Meridien city hotels are located in grand buildings. This was a nice and quaint one boutique hotel. You might have to loop around the building once or twice before you find some parking. Hotel only has valet parking and it’s $28 over night. You have two choices. A) park in (semi pricey) parkades nearby. There are covered ones or street lots. B)I was there on a Friday. Meter parking is good until 6pm then it’s free for the rest of the weekend. But now you know.

When you walk into the hotel you will notice the hotel lobby has a few pieces of abstract, creepy yet interesting art. This is because this hotel is in the art district of the city. The most obvious one would be the life size like statue of half of a man that has a realistic feeling to it. The reason why I booked this hotel is because their website ad had a photo of a bathtub in each suite. Apparently, it’s only true for the penthouse president suite.

Our guest room was a fair sized one at the end of the hallway facing the side of the street. Le Meridien rain shower never disappoints you especially when you had a long day of travel. There weren’t a lot of choices for toiletry. Just the basic shampoo, conditioner, soap, moisturizer, shower cap, qtips and cotton balls. The toilet paper was not very soft. In fact, it was kind of rough. No bathroom fan and the bathroom door is a sliding door. The good news is you can spend as much time as you want in the bathroom as there’s a TV right across from the toilet seat. There were two bathrobes in the closet but one of them was missing a tie hook. No hotel slippers were left in the closet but you can easy call the front desk to get a pair. There is a safety locker in the closet for your valuables.

The best part of staying at Le Meridien is their bed. The pillow top was so soft and fluffy I could have fallen asleep right away. Hotel provided a cluster of pillows so you can make a little fort and just fall back and watch some TV. You’ll be knocked out before the Colbert Report comes on TV.

Room Tip: Check in Foursquares with nearby deals. Internet is not free in room. Remember parking on the street...
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 12 October 2011

I stayed for a couple of nights in early September. As a rule, I refuse to use a credit card for incidentals. I gave the required two hundred dollars cash and am still waiting for it to be returned. Their policy is to send a check in the mail. I have spoken with hotel reps and accountants on FOUR occasions. Every time, they say my check is in the mail. Today, I called and they claimed the check would be sent out today.

I enjoyed my stay, but this hassle to have my two hundred dollars returned is ludicrous.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank Ellen G
Florianopolis, SC
Reviewed 27 September 2011

I was in the Le Meridien Chambers-Minneapolis from July 24 to 28th, 2011. The hotel is very nice but there was one big problem.
) My reservation was made and payed by internet in the site www.getaroom.com. They billed me in my credit card, right away, USD 787,92.
2) When I arrived at the hotel, July, 24, 16:20 afternoon, I was billed by Le Meridien USD 100.00. I questioned that, and the attendant told me that that was going to be returned to me when I would leave the hotel. I did not understand why this bill, since I already had payed for the four days. May be it is for guaranteeing possible extras? (not trusting the guest??)
3) But what was really amazing happened at the check out. It is obvious, it is common, that the guest needs a written receipt from who provided the service (the Le Meredien in this case). Everyone travelling while working needs a receipt to show their employer, for accounting purposes. I argued that with the attendant, but it seemed to me that he was not understanding. It seems that Le Meredien do not use to give you a fiscal receipt.
4) But what let me really confused with the system adopted by Le Meredien, was that, after a long argumentation, he printed a bill with a total value of USD 449,08, completely different from the value I payed for the 4 days at Le Meredien. I don’t care who Le Meredien authorizes to sell its rooms. The site getaroom for me is merely a reservation site, similar to the hotel reservation services. I don’t care the amount Le Meredien pays for their services. What matters to me is that I payed USD 787,92 for staying 4 days at Le Meredien and a receipt must be given by Le Meredien. They did not give the receipt with the right amount I payed. I got the card of Mr. Chad Senecal, whose would be responsible for resolving the problem. I wrote a e-message for him, but I did not get the answer.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank Clovis M
Grand Forks, North Dakota
Reviewed 26 September 2011

I stayed here for a wedding reception. Great location downtown, but that meant $30 hotel valet service to go with it. Room had a good view and feather bed on the mattress. Roof top dancing was truly unique. Doesn't fit the budget very often, but worth it to celebrate with friends.

• Stayed September 2011
1 Thank wintertraveler7
Raleigh, North Carolina
Reviewed 10 September 2011

The Chambers is one of Minneapolis' quaint, boutique hotels seemingly tucked away on 9th Street in the shadows of its big-hotel-brethren. To my knowledge it is Minneapolis' only four and a half star hotel and it has earned its designation without question.

I inquired about the alternative to using a credit card for incidentals, something I am doing at every hotel I stay at now. Le Meridien requires a $200 cash deposit, which is quite steep; the amount, however, is not what I found disturbing. Upon checkout, the hotel does not refund the cash deposit to you - they mail you a check instead. Even if you leave a cash deposit at night and the following morning, you check out, they will not give you the cash back you gave them. In my opinion, this is outrageous and absurd and one of the reasons I would not give the hotel five stars. The other reason: the $12.95 per night charge for WiFi access. I hope that soon these upscale hotels take notice of their guests' collective frustration with WiFi charges - the first to do away with them entirely will certainly see me a lot more.

My room was very Euro-chic - many, however, would say it looked like a room in an IKEA catalogue. The shower was an overhead rain shower, very nice, and the bathroom sink design was awesome. Perhaps best of all, though, was the bed. The bedding at Le Meridien was absolutely amazing - it was like sleeping in a cloud. Wow!

The room did not have a view, but it was spacious, comfortable and elegant. The hotel staff were professional and courteous, not to mention helpful with directing us to local points of interest. I did check out the hotel's gym, which did not offer much, however the YMCA across the street has a three story gym available for $10 a day. Also nearby is a Target (2 blocks) and a liquor store, as well as the Nicollett Mall - the Chambers is in a convenient, accessible location for both business and pleasure travelers.

I was impressed even with what was a standard room at the Chambers. From what I have read, there are many rooms with even more to offer. In my visit to Minneapolis, I stayed at five hotels. The Chambers was by far the best of them all.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank Alexjrosen
MattHaw3019, Creative Guest Services at Le Meridien Chambers Minneapolis, responded to this review, 3 December 2013
Welcome Alex L,

Thank you for reflecting on your recent stay at Le Méridien Chambers Minneapolis, an art lover’s ideal hotel! I am glad to hear you enjoyed the signature Le Méridien bed and the lovely bathroom luxurious amenities including the rain head shower and heated floors.

My apologies the satellite TV channels were not properly functioning; please see my direct message regarding this matter so I can ensure the issue is remedied right away. Complimentary coffee is available daily in the lobby beginning at 6:30am. If you prefer, it would be my pleasure to note your coffeemaker, microwave and refrigerator preferences in your guest folio, and have them in your room prior to arrival on your next Starwood stay.

We look forward to welcoming you back to discover a new perspective at Le Méridien Chambers Minneapolis.

Thank you!

Matthew Hawkins
Des Moines, Iowa
Reviewed 5 September 2011

Absolutely will stay here again! Le Meridien Chambers Minneapolis staff was friendliest and most helpful of any hotel we've stayed at. Jason helped us check in and gave us great advice for Minnesota Twins game, plus remembered us the next morning when we checked out. Hotel is just a couple blocks from Target Center and Target Field. The on-site restaurant served excellent pizza appetizer and server provided excellent guidance on menu.

Room Tip: Room's modern design was refreshing and felt cutting-edge
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple