“Great place...great food”

Saffron
Ranked #97 of 1,800 Restaurants in Minneapolis
Price range: US$10 - US$40
Good for: Romantic, Child-friendly, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: 1st Avenue & 3rd Street
Transit: If you are taking the light rail to downtown Minneapolis, we are only 2 blocks away from the last stop at first Ave.
Minnea
“Great place...great food”
Reviewed 21 February 2014

We had the best waitress ever - Clare sp?? The chef checked on our meal and we had a show to attend and they made sure we'd leave in time.

EVERYTHING was perfect, amazing flavors, just a celebration of good atmosphere and food to perfection.

Visited February 2014
1 Thank TimB087

Columbus, Ohio
“Rude and slow service; do not recommend”
Reviewed 19 January 2014 via mobile

We were visiting our friends in MN and they booked a special night out on the town for us. Upon arriving to Saffron, the decor and ambiance was nice. It wasn't overly crowded; not a lively place by any means. Our friends had made us Sat night reservations weeks in advance but we still had to wait 35 minutes for a table. Bad start.

We went to the bar to order a round of drinks and our first encounter with a bad attitude was the bartender. We asked him to recommend drinks off the menu and he looked like we insulted him. Big ego!! My husband made up his own simple to execute vodka-soda drink and had to ask for an extra shot of vodka (which we were fully charged for) because the bartender barely put any booze in the drink.

When we were finally seated, our waiter took forever to come around. I asked him what was the most popular item on the menu was (since I like to order what the locals like!) and he said "um everything".. Again as if my question was rude?? The rest of the night continued like this. SLOWEST & RUDEST SERVICE EVER!!!!

The appetizers were the best part of the meal.. And the beef and lamb dishes that the guys ordered were decent. The special dish (can't remember the name) was disgusting.

For the cost of this place, the service has to improve. I felt bad that my friends were embarrassed that we all were treated so poorly. Obviously it was bad enough for me to write this review five months after my visit!! Still remember how awful the entire experience was!!!

Save your money and go elsewhere. I'm sure there are plenty of better options in Minneapolis.

2 Thank Kenrina
Broomfield, Colorado
“An Event - very relaxing”
Reviewed 23 December 2013

Wide selection of tappas and entrees. Great food and never felt rushed. Very unusual selections and some standard fare. On a Saturday night we spent over 2 hours sampling a variety of tappa dishes. Very relaxing and enoyable evening. Waiter was very knowledgable of menu and bar offerings.

• Visited December 2013
1 Thank uihwki
Willmar, Minnesota
“Go for the tagine, stay for the millefeuille!”
Reviewed 23 December 2013

My wife and I live in out-state Minnesota, so when we are in the mpls-st paul area we like to hit some of the top restaurants and Saffron did not disappoint. First, we had a wonderful and attentive server who answered any questions we had and made some great recommendations. For small plates we ordered the fried cauliflower, as well as the lamb brain. The cauliflower honestly reminded me of buffalo wings (which is a good thing) with a twist. The lamb brain (my choice) was more for curiosity than anything, and while i can say it wasn't bad, it wasn't our favorite either. If you are daring its worth a try! For an entree my wife had the gnocchi - expertly cooked with nice root vegetables and a very flavorful, but not overpowering sauce. I had the duck tagine - the meatballs (4 of them) were good size and just the right density - not too crumbly or dry. These came in a large bowl with a tomato sauce, chickpeas, egg yolk (which you mix in right when you get it) and preserved lemon. I loved how the flavors came together, especially the lemon. I don't believe i had had preserved lemon before which is, after a little research (thanks wikipedia), a common north african condiment. We were both pretty full at that point, but had to try a dessert. Our waiter recommended the millefeuille (mill-fwee), and it was outstanding. Probably one of my favorite desserts ever. It's not really big (so if you are looking for a big dessert, its not your choice). The entire dish stood out, but we especially loved the spicy, sea salt caramel ice cream. The millefeuille is a layered dessert with cake, phyllo, sour cherry, and caramel pudding. It hits all the senses - salty, crunchy, sweet, sour. A wonderful way to end the meal. Thanks for a great experience saffron!

• Visited December 2013
1 Thank Marc0223
Maplewood, Minnesota
“Excellent meal”
Reviewed 2 December 2013

Our group of 9 ate at Saffron this past weekend and had a really good meal. The restaurant is very attractive and comfortable. Easy to talk with others at your table, even in a group as large as ours. While everything was very good, there were a few dishes that were standouts. The chicken and porcini croquettes literally melted in your mouth with a superb combination of flavors.The squash and mushroom farrotto was equally good - very rich and creamy as a good risotta should be and bursting with flavor. Among the starters the only one that we thought was a bit weak was the figs and foie. Nothing really wrong with it, just nothing special. For mains the gnocchi was perhaps the best I have ever tasted and the lamb chops were great as was the Branzini. Our group had two of the tagines - duck and the seafood. Both were quite good, but not quite as great as the ones mentioned above.

If I had to make one criticism, i would say that the waitperson was a bit indifferent. She was very attentive and did her job professionally, but with not much personality.

• Visited November 2013