“Very good food! AMAZING service! Wonderful drinks”
Review of Sanctuary

Sanctuary
Reserve with OpenTable
Sanctuary is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #74 of 1,823 Restaurants in Minneapolis
Price range: US$31 - US$50
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighbourhood: Downtown
Cross street: Chicago Avenue
Transit: Washington Avenue buses run in front of Sanctuary. Light rail and other buses stop near the Dome - less than a block South of (behind) Sanctuary.
Description: Sanctuary, with its chandeliers and vaguely gothic ambiance - protected by gargoyles like the sanctuaries of Europe - is elegant, yet comfortable. A fireplace warms cold nights - a patio with flowers and herbs celebrates summer. Sanctuary serves New American Cuisine – delicious, beautiful, out-of-the-ordinary yet satisfying combinations of the familiar with various immigrant touches. Focusing on fresh, local and seasonal, the menu changes every other month, Tasting Menus are served M-Th, Seasonal Specials weekends.
Reviewed 19 June 2014

We are regulars to Minnesota from California but rarely spend time DT Minneapolis. We wanted to eat somewhere with a more local feel that had excellent food. We were able to make a reservation on a Saturday night 1.5 hour in advance which was a bit difficult to do on a summer Saturday night at other locations. The menu was the perfect size to have something for everyone's taste buds. The wait staff was SUPERB! All three that we interacted with were very professional and polite. They did not rush us, nor treat us as if we were just another number. When my husband and I walked in, we were a bit worried as we were surrounded by people with grey hair (no offense), and being a foodie I was nervous the food style was either going to be astronomically expensive or very traditional. Luckily, I was overwhelmingly surprised. Our waiter gave excellent advice on which dishes were tasting well and was prompt in drinks and apps service. My husband is a Long Island extraordinaire and this was one of the best LIs he has had in a long time. When my barramundi did not arrive as quickly as my husband's pork tenderloin, the chef had an appetizer brought out for me which was very lovely and considerate. My barrumundi was cooked to perfection and my husband (who is not very courageous in eating) ate his entire meal. We were there a total of 1.5 hours and it was lovely. Very good food. Just the right amount of portion size, great drinks and WONDERFUL professional service. I loved it here and would gladly recommend to anyone and will eat here again.

1  Thank Nicole R
There are newer reviews for Sanctuary

Reviewed 17 June 2014

A lovely restaurant in Minneapolis with a cozy spaces for a romantic dinner. A great visit from the moment we walked in. With a reservation, we were seated immediately and the fine service started immediately. We opted for the evening special which showed off the talents of the chef. Wait staff was attentive. During weekdays, try the tasting menu. A great value.

Reviewed 17 June 2014

This is a fairly intimate restaurant on South Washington in Minneapolis. The interior is inviting and the staff are helpful and friendly. Their menu is not extensive but has enough variety and the food that we had was really excellent. Several nights of the week they have a five course tasting menu for $35. Apparently the dishes vary from day to day but it is certainly worth trying. The first course was shrimp in a tomato based sauce, followed by a small salad, then barramundi, then chicken risotto and a desert. The barramundi was superb. I would certainly eat there again.

Reviewed 6 June 2014

Sanctuary is a very lovely, intimate place to go for dinner. The food is high quality, and it's always possible to be seated, even on the weekend. I enjoy sitting at the bar, and trying their many drinks, and appetizers. The bartender we had was very friendly, and let us try a couple of concoctions he was making. The steak was done just perfectly. The salad delicious. It would be great if parking was free and a bit easier, but hey, it's downtown Minneapolis, after all. I highly recommend Sanctuary.

Reviewed 2 June 2014

We had to change our reservation time, the staff was very accommodating! The menu changes every 60 days, we got there on the new night. The menu was "fun picnic" type of food. Everything was fresh, beautifully served, and excellent. The restaurant is very small, cozy and quaint. The staff is very friendly and knowlegable. The chef is a creative star!!!